How to set up texting on Moto G without LTE

Awra

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased the Moto G and setup service on Straight Talk (uses AT&T service). As the Moto G does not have LTE the texting feature does not work. Anyone know how to setup texting without LTE?

Thanks
Awra

alfick3

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Texting doesn't have anything to do with LTE. It is dependent on just having service. Now, mms does depends on data, I believe. I don't know what settings you will need, but I believe you need to set up your APN in order to get texting and mms. Do a search around or go to the Straight Talk web site help page to get apn info.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Awra

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply alfick3.
The APN is set up and I have searched on line about MMS on AT&T. I have also called ST support several times. They have been surprisingly helpful but unable to make texitng work. My APN settings are:
Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

ST says the sim card is set up for LTE.
From what I can find on line it appears that MMS requires LTE on AT&T service.
I would appreciate any additional suggestions.

alfick3

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply alfick3.
The APN is set up and I have searched on line about MMS on AT&T. I have also called ST support several times. They have been surprisingly helpful but unable to make texitng work. My APN settings are:
Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80

ST says the sim card is set up for LTE.
From what I can find on line it appears that MMS requires LTE on AT&T service.
I would appreciate any additional suggestions.

I think that MMS just requires data service, not necessarily LTE.

montenell

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you including area code in your texts? My wife has the moto g for straight talk and has no issues texting.. There was a time I couldn't get her texts because she didn't include the area code

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk

Awra

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello montenell, Thanks for your reply. Area codes are being used. Could you give me your wife's APN settings. Thanks

Last edited:

Awra

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
None of the many APN settings I tried ever fixed the problem. I had read that other people had solved the problem by installing a new sim card.
Ordered a new one from Walmart, called Straight Talk to have it activated and it solved the problem immediately. Apparently some older sim cards do not function properly. All features are working now.
Used the APN settings from ST's site.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699