Moto G LTE (2013) or Moto G 2014?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to decide what would be best for my parents. They currently have HTC Inspire 4Gs. They live in an area with strong AT&T coverage for both 4G and 4G LTE. My initial thought was they needed the LTE version to enjoy the best data speeds, but I wonder if 4G is plenty fast enough for their needs. I have Sprint, so I am used to a big difference between Sprints' LTE speed and everything else. With AT&T, I wonder if they will notice the step up in speed. However, since LTE is a newer technology, will they find less congestion with an LTE option (like at major sporting events)?

So, what would you recommend? How fast are the 4G data speeds versus LTE speeds, and is the LTE option worth it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It depends a bit on what your parents use their phones for. For most general usage, a download speed of around 4-5 Mbps will be enough. The crazy download speeds of >100 Mbps that some people are getting on networks like Verizon's XLTE are primarily useful for downloading big files, or playing online games that are heavily dependent on the internet connection.

I have T-Mobile, so unfortunately I can't weigh in directly on speeds for AT&T. But speeds can also differ depending on the area, so it would help to know where your parents live in general.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I meant to put in that they aren't heavy users, but I made some edits to my post and must have cut that out. As I said, they aren't heavy users. In fact, it is a struggle to get them to use data at all. They currently have an old grandfathered AT&T plan with 200mb data. They are paranoid they are going to accidentally go over each month, so most of them time they turn the mobile data off. I think I have them talked into moving to somewhere like Consumer Cellular which will be cheaper for them plus give them more data to use, so they aren't paranoid of going over. Their main use is going to be web surfing, email, etc., with the occasional streaming audio feed. They live in the central KY area, near Lexington, which gets strong service.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Faster data can often lead inadvertently to more data usage, which might stress your parents out. People find the faster data to be more convenient, and the next thing you know, they're browsing more and viewing more video clips and whatnot.

It sounds like the LTE issue isn't that crucial for them. There shouldn't be any issues with congestion. What other factors are important to them? Screen size? Internal Storage? Do they need plenty of space for apps or photos? The 2014 Moto G has a bigger screen and I think has more internal storage (16 GB vs 8 GB--not sure if the 2013 LTE version comes in anything besides 8 GB). Motorola Moto G LTE vs Motorola Moto G (2014) - Phone specs comparison

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I think you are right, I don't think LTE is that important to them, as long as the 4G could bring in 3-5mbps. More important would be screen size and battery life. I realize LTE radio would drain more battery, but so would the bigger screen, maybe making battery life a wash? I know the 2014 version has a bigger screen, but the same resolution, meaning the screen wouldn't be as sharp. So, I wonder if pixel density or screen size would be preferred?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you'll be able to tell a big difference between the dpi for both devices. Larger screens can mean a bit more battery use, but the difference between a 4.5" and 5" screen will probably be negligible. As your parents get a bit older, they will probably come to appreciate the larger screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress