Why won't my phone factory reset?

A

AC Question

I own a Moto G 2nd Generation (2014) phone. It's a decent phone, only thing letting it down is the storage.
Anyway, a couple of days ago the home button stopped working. I can still touch it and it highlights and vibrates but it doesn't do what it is meant to. Also, the notifications bar at the top isn't showing notifications even though my phone still vibrates and I can't access the quick settings when you scroll down again.
The first thing I did was power down and switch back on. When it came back on it was the same problems except now when I lock my phone and unlock it it goes straight to the home screen instead of the lock screen.
I went on the settings and tried to do a factory reset. The button you press to confirm your reset is faded out and won't let me click on it. I googled how to do a hard reset and tried this option but it just switches the phone back on. I tried going into recovery mode but when the little Android mascot comes on laying down with its front open, there is a red triangle above it and it says "No Command".
If anyone can help me with a solution on how to fix this then I would be grateful. Thanks!

Android_Fixer

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
You can go to recovery mode and do a factory reset.
Steps:

1. Power your phone off. And wait for 10 seconds.

2. Hold down the power button, home button(if you have),and the volume up button.

3. 6 menus will pop up, using the volume up and down button to select, select the wipe data/factory reset, then select yes, you will now go to the screen with 6 menus again, select reboot.

4. You're done!(It will take seconds or minutes to set up your phone again

Posted via the Android Central App

Kmmanley

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on a Moto G (3rd gen) - tried the suggestion above but no joy; no second set of menus came up, just reverted to Mr Android on his back and "no command". Getting v annoying and would be v grateful if anyone has a fix.

Nikki Chadha

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
This worked!
–]moralesnery 3 points 24 days ago*
*Charge your phone to at least 50%.
*Turn on the phone in fastboot mode (pwr and vol- for 3 seconds)
*Press vol- until "Recovery" is selected, then press vol+
*You will go to blank screen with a broken android image and no commands. Keep vol+ pressed for 10 seconds, then press also the power button for 1 second, then release both buttons. All the recovery commands will appear.
*Go to "Wipe data /factory Reset" and select it with power button, then select "YES", and wait untill it finishes.
*Go to recovery's main menu and do the same with the "Wipe cache" option.
*Then go back to the recovery's main menu and select "reboot". If the reboot option doesn't appear simply keep the power button pressed until the phone reboots itself.
The first boot will take like 10-15 minutes, after that you will have a clean android to start again.

Shtako

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on a Moto G (3rd gen) - tried the suggestion above but no joy; no second set of menus came up, just reverted to Mr Android on his back and "no command". Getting v annoying and would be v grateful if anyone has a fix.

This is exactly what is happening to me, so frustrating. Have you found a fix yet?

goldgraham

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Your comment about memory size. When I upgraded to Marshmallow I was able to incorporate my SD card into the memory, it has to be a high speed card (you get a warning about this when you go throught the process). Since then I have been able to load more apps and don't have the memory problems I used to have; I the the faff of moving apps to the SD card to improve capacity.
I am no longer considering upgrading to a larger memory phone, might be time to replace the 2 year old battery, though.

Ron Bar-Ad

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution to this yet? The factory reset button is faded out in settings, and as soon as I selected factory reset in the fastboot mode it just restarted. I'm getting worried cus with no lock screen anyone could just open my phone and with no notifications I could just miss important things coming my way. Please help.

Yunz S

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
It's crazy how I was reading your description and all was the exact same as what is happening to my phone. I don't know what to do with it anymore...

Javyq9

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
the fix, being broken down dummy style:
1) Download Nova Launcher & set it as default to replace launcher.
2) Long press on the home screen.
3) Choose Widgets.
4) At the top, under Nova Launcher, scroll to the right & press & hold on Activities and place it somewhere empty on the home screen.*
5) Scroll down to Setup Wizard. I saw 2 Setup Wizard options.*
6) Under the first Setup Wizard option, I opened it & scrolled down to the 3rd choice which said ".SetupWizardTestActivity". It might be in a different spot for you, but look at the small writing, that's how I saw this one.
7) Select that to create the widget shortcut.
8) Open it. Apparently you're supposed to have a menu to go through and just click through "Next", but there wasn't one for me.
The screen just flashed and then next thing you know, everything works!

bethyyyyyy

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Has anybody found a solution to this yet? Tried the three options posted in the tread but I had trouble at some point with each of them, so I couldn't actually complete them. Any other suggestions? Not managed to do a factory reset - does that fix the problem? Beth

Javyq9

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Find someone to do the fix for you.. It works. For the OP problem not able to pull notification and the home and back button don't work.

Salecc

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for this thread, I now have my phone working again.
Followed the Nova Launcher instructions in post #11.

I was very close to dropping it from a good height and claiming insurance. Lol.

I had the exact symptoms in post #1.

Zoey1997

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I own a Moto G 2nd Generation (2014) phone. It's a decent phone, only thing letting it down is the storage.
Anyway, a couple of days ago the home button stopped working. I can still touch it and it highlights and vibrates but it doesn't do what it is meant to. Also, the notifications bar at the top isn't showing notifications even though my phone still vibrates and I can't access the quick settings when you scroll down again.
The first thing I did was power down and switch back on. When it came back on it was the same problems except now when I lock my phone and unlock it it goes straight to the home screen instead of the lock screen.
I went on the settings and tried to do a factory reset. The button you press to confirm your reset is faded out and won't let me click on it. I googled how to do a hard reset and tried this option but it just switches the phone back on. I tried going into recovery mode but when the little Android mascot comes on laying down with its front open, there is a red triangle above it and it says "No Command".
If anyone can help me with a solution on how to fix this then I would be grateful. Thanks!

Hey so I have the 3d gen and this is what worked!!:
I turned off my phone and did the whole " press volume down for three seconds and then press and release the power button "
Then I had the same problem as a few people here where it told me that there was no command or something similar... what you have to do is then press the power button and then the volume up button to receive the next menu!
There I chose the factory reset and actually decided to try the first option where it doesn't fully wipe everything- but still most (so back everything up first!). I decided if that didn't work I'd go for the full wipe/reset but it worked beautifully:) phone is currently downloading my apps and restoring everything it can so hoping it all goes smoothly from here:)

Jordan Reid1

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
the fix, being broken down dummy style:
1) Download Nova Launcher & set it as default to replace launcher.
2) Long press on the home screen.
3) Choose Widgets.
4) At the top, under Nova Launcher, scroll to the right & press & hold on Activities and place it somewhere empty on the home screen.*
5) Scroll down to Setup Wizard. I saw 2 Setup Wizard options.*
6) Under the first Setup Wizard option, I opened it & scrolled down to the 3rd choice which said ".SetupWizardTestActivity". It might be in a different spot for you, but look at the small writing, that's how I saw this one.
7) Select that to create the widget shortcut.
8) Open it. Apparently you're supposed to have a menu to go through and just click through "Next", but there wasn't one for me.
The screen just flashed and then next thing you know, everything works!

This worked!!!!
I tried all of the other suggestions with no success but this worked straight away.
Thank you.

Gerald Brown3

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have an original Moto G that would not reset. The solution for me was to sign into Android Device Manager and erase the phone from there. It worked immediately.

j_man2074

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Had the same with my Moto G2 (LTE)

Some other replies are close - but these instructions are what worked for me:

Android 5.x (Lollipop)/Android 6.x (Marshmallow)*Steps

- With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
- Press the Volume Down*key to highlight Recovery mode.
- Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
- The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
- While holding down the Power key, press and release*the Volume Up key, then release Power.
- Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
- Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.

101mater101

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Jordan reid1...
You are a legend...I was going slowly mad trying to work out why my Moto x gen 2 had all of the same problems as everyone else on this feed... Your Nova idea FIXED THE PROBLEM ! ( Just make sure Nova is set to default launcher) thank you so much for posting this..??????

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member