We have the new Moto G, you have questions. Fire away!

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Is the camera fast/quick for shots of children? Would performance be on part with a note 2?

Posted via the Android Central App

Will depend on lighting conditions, but it should be at least on par with a Note 2.

I'm also curious about shutter speed on the camera and which moto features are present and which are not.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere
Shutter speeds seem pretty quick. There's a slight, noticeable delay when auto-HDR mode kicks in.

Seems too early, but curious what kind of battery life you're seeing.

And if it dual Sim or not.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

Excellent battery life so far.

There'a dual-SIM version but mine is single-SIM.

How good is the waterproofing ? Do you have a picture of the backcover (inside) ?

There are two small sealed areas — one around the SIM and SD slots, and one on the right that covers... something. My guess is that's where the second SIM slot would go on the dual-SIM version.

Does your Moto G have Dual Sim capability (it looks like it from the photos in the hands on article)? Do you know if this will be available for the UK market?
No idea, but probably not for the UK market. Mine is 2GB/16GB single-SIM. Some of the devices in Moto's demo area may well have been dual-SIM.

Well as a lot have already asked about battery life, I want to ask about feel in the hand, the camera compared to Nexus 6 (particularly HDR+ if present) since it's the same sensor.
Also how good is the slow motion. I've seen stuttering in Android slow motion cameras in every phone but Samsung's and Sony. Seems to be f-stop related.

In-hand feel is fine. It's a plastic phone, but the textured back is nice and grippy. HDR mode actually seems more robust than on the N6, despite lack of OIS. Of course low-light performance is nowhere near as good. Haven't tried slow-mo yet but f-stop is f/2.0 for what it's worth.

OK list of questions.
How easy to repair does the phone seem to be (screws visible under the cover)?
I see three small torx screws down below. That's all.
How likely is it that we will be able to purchase moto maker components on lets say ebay and upgrade the looks ourselves in cased our country doens't have moto maker?
I wouldn't count on it.
Any comments on how long they are likely to support this phone with OS updates beyond M (looking at the other Moto Gs)?
Updates beyond M are anyone's guess at this point.
How is the in hand feel compared to the other 2015 motos and the Nexus 4 (specifically regarding one hand use)?
It feels plasticky like the X Play. Nexus 5 probably feels nicer in the hand than either X Play or 2015 G.
One feature i miss in Moto G2 was the ability to cast screen to a smart tv using miracast. Last learnt it was disabled due to hardware limitation.
How is it in Moto G3?
Also, does it have TV out/ MHL support?
No idea on MHL, but I don't see Miracast anywhere on this G. Casting via Google Chrome is supported.

Hello,

1. Just wondering since the screen is the same resolution as past models, if it is improved any other way such as brightness, sharpness, and clarity?
I don't have a 2014 G here to compare, but IMO it's a great-looking screen. More than bright enough. Vivid but not over-saturated.
2. Since the omission of dual speakers, how does this one hold up (tinniness, loudness, volume)? ***This aspect in particular is holding me off from purchasing one***
It's a good, loud speaker. Above average in terms of bass, in the grand scheme of smartphone speakers.

Should I wave my hand to see the notifications ? Or it will constantly appear on the sleep mode.
Wave gesture isn't supported because the G lacks the sensors required. Picking it up will trigger Moto Display though.
Would you upgrade from a 2014 Moto G?

I've spent limited time with the 2014 G, but this one is a solid release, and LTE as standard is a big deal.

How's the camera?

I heard that the hardware is similar to that found in the Nexus 6, only lacking OIS.
Surprisingly good. It's the same sensor as N6 (IMX214) behind an f/2.0 lens, only without OIS. Need to do some more tests, but I wouldn't be surprised if it beats the 2014 Moto X camera on balance.

I have seen conflicting reports so can you confirm if the Moto has a metal frame (like the the 2014 moto x) or a metalized plastic frame?
No metal frame. It's plastic with a metallic effect.

The white model has a sliver frame around the device, the black model doesn't??

Both basic colors have plastic trims. Black comes with dark metallic grey, white comes with a lighter silver effect.

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Only care about (yes, you guessed it) the answer to the Verizon question. No one seems to have the definitive answer to that, and Verizon CS has been zero help so far.

patos23

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Will this motorola allow bootloader unlocking on this device? I know that the previous GSM versions did, but moto hasn't seemed to update the supported devices page...

Locked bootloaders are kind of a dealbreaker for me (reason why I'll be leaving verizon shortly if I get this phone)

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Should I wave my hand to see the notifications ? Or it will constantly appear on the sleep mode.

Waving your hand won't do anything. It uses ambient display. Picking up or moving the phone will illuminate the display with any notifications.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
What is it comparable to in size? A Nexus 4 or 5. Samsung S5 ?
Somewhere in between, but probably closer to the GS5.
So no moto voice? Will hands free google now functions work?
Yep.
I currently have a Oneplus One. Would I want to go for the G or the X Style for my next?

G would be a downgrade. Go for the X Style.
How about VoLTE?
Nope. At least nothing yet announced.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I know the specs sheet says expandable up to 32GB with microSD card, but is there any adverse reaction in the device to using a bigger card?

Also, any memory issues in the G (no force-closing of background apps like Play Music)?

How do this year's shells feel in the hand? Any hint of rugged shells this year?

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I know the specs sheet says expandable up to 32GB with microSD card, but is there any adverse reaction in the device to using a bigger card?

Also, any memory issues in the G (no force-closing of background apps like Play Music)?

How do this year's shells feel in the hand? Any hint of rugged shells this year?

Why you steal my question ARRGHHHH

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The hands-on video shows Alex taking the back off twice in the first 30 seconds, so yes the backs come off. I'm asking for feel and variety. And launcher redraws was answered in the last page, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress