Having problems with SD card?

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Phone: Moto G, 3rd gen. (2015)
I'm having problems with transferring my music, pictures and apps to my 64gb microSD card (which now says its 62.48 total with 61.48 available...?) from my phone's internal storage. On the computer, trying to move files to the SD card folder gave me an error (the transferring wouldn't load at all or a error message would pop up), and on the phone, even after erasing everything from the microSD card, clicking "move media" and then selecting "move music" led nowhere. Now even when simply clicking on "move media" I get no response. I've just factory reseted this phone too, and before reseting it several audio and image files had gotten corrupted somehow, but that was before I installed an anti-virus. Now it seems that nothing can move my files to the microSD card. I really just need to get these files to my microSD 64gb card, please!!

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
OK, so apparently my music IS moving, it just didn't warn me. But the other problems, still, like with the pictures and apps! I need help with that. The pictures I want to move into my moto gallery are all in my computer. How do I move them from there to my SD card? (I'll try moving them to the phone storage first and then from there on to my SD card while on then phone). Would also be awesome if the folders I have the pictures on in the pc could be in the gallery. Any way to do that?

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Problems with sd card (transferring) please help??!! Desperate

Phone: Moto G (2015) (3rd Gen.)
Bought: 2 weeks ago (content migrated from old phone to the new one on the same night on which it was bought)
Anti-virus app (avast) downloaded: About two days ago
Factory Reset for the first time: Today
Whenever I try to move my files, be it music or pictures, to my external microSD card (64gb, although now it says 62.84), most of them get corrupted. I can't even move apps to the sd card, it says it doesn't have enough memory capacity. When I get on the computer and try to move my files from the internal storage folder or the desktop to the sd card folder manually, it doesn't work: either the transfer never completely loads or it shows an error message. What is going on?! Please help!!!

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Problems with sd card (transferring) please help??!! Desperate

In short: all my files are always getting corrupted when I move them to the SD card. I can't move them manually on my PC, at all. Apps won't move to the SD card either. Frustrated.

Shubham Patil

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

I also have Moto G 2015, and it's been one month since I purchased it, no problem like yours though. But try this tips if it helps -
1. Take out your SD card and put it in card reader and plug to your PC and try to format it.
2. Try to once again factory reset your phone.
3. The company has told to use 16 & 32 GB SD cards but you are using 64 GB , though one of the websites( don't remember the name), that 128 GB though unofficial is safe to use in Moto G 2015, so I think your SD card reading function is slight unstable, try 16 & 32 .

Don't worry you will find out solution yourself.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

Another thing to add: i already tried to erase everything inside the card twice (on my phone)

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

I know you probably can't help me with this but my laptop (HP'S pavilion dv6, windows 8.1 pro, 64-bit) isn't even recognizing the adapter when i put it inside it. I've asked for help on the hp website and on the SanDisk website but they take a long time to answer apparently. My friend who knows about technology doesn't know what to do either. So I can only come to you and perhaps Reddit

Last edited:

Bi-Kemba Wright

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Hello Levi. I have this phone with a Samsung 32GB Micro SD card inserted and it fits fine. I would read an article on this site about the 64GB card that fits for the phone. They can be tricky at times. Now, if the laptop is not recognizing the card adapter, then use a USB card adapter. It worked for me. Best Buy has one that is black and it looks like an actual USB drive, however, it is an actual usb adapter with slots on the side for different media. It is only about $10 or $15 bucks. Good luck.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Having problems with SD card, SanDisk adapter, laptop and Moto G 2015?

ATTENTION! I'VE EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM IN SHORT DOWN THERE

I've been having a ton of problems with my technology and I have been trying to solve them for three days now. The HP forum redirected me back here as a last resource.

Here's a full explanation of my probllem (don't mind the recurring informality, the original post was meant for Reddit but the website blocked me from posting on my first day of registration):

Technical info:
Phone: Moto G (2015)
microSDXC: SanDisk Ultra (64gb) (apparently xc I)
Adapter: SanDisk Adapter (microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC)
Laptop: hp's pavilion dv6, 64-bit OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

My problem:

IN SHORT:
all my files are always getting corrupted when I move them to the SD card (on my phone move media option, not on a laptop). I can't move them manually to the SD card folder on my laptop either. Apps won't move to the SD card while on my phone too. My laptop won't recognize my SanDisk adapter, which contains my 64gb microSDXC card, that I'm inserting in the laptop to format because somebody said that could be a solution. But my laptop won't even recognize it, if something was supposed to show up on "MY COMPUTER". COMPLETELY frustrated. Have spent hours downloading +50 albums and organizing hundreds and hundreds of photos in spe
cific albums on google photos, so I REALLY want some help.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Motorola said the Moto G (2015) could only hold up to 32gb, but in one of the links I provided people on the forum are saying there have been people who could use the 64gb (and even up to 128gb) at ease.

NOT IN SHORT:
So I bought the Moto G (2015) a couple of weeks ago and some days later a bunch of music and image files got corrupted, and I didn't even know why... Somebody told me to install an anti-virus, and I did, a few days ago. Yesterday, I factory reseted my new phone for the first time, to try and get rid of the said "virus" (and i think there was one tbh). I also did that to remove my corrupted files and later on manually transfer the backup data of them (in my laptop) to the post-factory reset phone, specifically to the 64gb microSDXC card i bought, through a phone-usb cable-laptop connection. So first I tried transferring the files either directly from the desktop to the SD card folder or by moving them from the desktop to the internal storage folder and THEN on to the sd card folder, but neither worked because the files wouldn't transfer at all. So, alternatively, I tried leaving them on the internal storage and disconnecting the phone from the laptop, and then, on my phone, proceeded to attempt to move the files to the SD card, by clicking on the move media option in the storage settings. It took a long while and, once the moving was over, ta-da, all the files came out instantly corrupted. BEFORE even doing this media transfer on the storage settings, I had completely wiped the memory of the SD Card.
The next day, I got suggested to put my microSDXC inside my SanDisk adapter (which apparently is compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC) and then inside a PC/laptop so I could format the former and then maybe I'd be able to use it. After... some time... trying to firgure out what was wrong with my laptop for not recognizing the adapter, I realized it was backwards. -facepalm- Ok! Yay everything's resolved. Except it isn't: even after inserting it correctly my laptop doesn't seem to recognize the adapter (with the microSDXC inside it). And this is where I don't know what to do (again lol). I've contacted SanDisk and HP but they'll still take a while to respond, and nobody seems to care for my problem on the android forums. So my last resource was reddit. Please! Can you help me?? I really need this music on my phone, I've meticulously organized my pictures into 7 specific folders (I don't even know if my phone will accept that) on Google Photos and downloaded 52 albums (and plan on downloading more), but it won't be of any use and my time will be wasted if this turns out to be unrealizable B( .
I know this seems to be a complicated and boring matter but ugh you people are the only ones who can help me rn.

Additional info:
Related thread from android forums (IMPORTANT INFO): http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2015/595359-problems-sd-card-transferring-please-help-desper...
Might help clarify some things: http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1478407.htm

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Having problems with SD card, SanDisk adapter, laptop and Moto G 2015?

Sounds like a bad media card to me... you could format it, using a 3rd party utility like SD Formatter from sdcard.org or using Linux (most distos have a format tool built in). TBH, the phone should format the card quite easily, upon initial installation if it is unreadable it will offer to format it in the "correct" format (FAT32), if it is still having issues you can go to Setting-Storage and scroll to the bottom, unmount the SD card storage and format it, then mount again. If you do this and the move of data still fails, you most likely have a bad card.

The Moto G supports a 64GB card just fine, I have been using one since I got the phone with no issues, I inserted it into the phone and it recognized it immediately, said it needed to format it, and it completed and I haven't touched it since since it has just worked.

BTW, all of my PC's are HPs and they work fine with the exact adapters and SD cards you mentioned, I also use the adapters with Samsung, PNY, and MicroCenter store branded cards with no problems. They work in all of our PC's, 3 desktops, 3 laptops, and my work PC, all of which are HPs (odd, I didn't really realize that until now).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Where did you purchase this microSD card? If you bought it from a seller on eBay, it might be a fake.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

I bought it from my telephone operating company's official store

I'm still having problems with this, after nearly 4 months and many, many wasted days trying to solve this problem.

I also already traded my broken SD card for a new one but I still can't solve my problem.

Just look at this.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Difficulty transferring music files to my phone's external SanDisk 64gb microSD card. I BEG for

I can think of two things to try:

1. When copying files over, don't copy them all in one giant batch--that can sometimes increase the risk of data error. Break it up into several smaller batches.

2. If files still go missing, then the card might be counterfeit or corrupt. Counterfeit cards are actually smaller capacity than they say they are, but are programmed to report a higher capacity. They work fine until you exceed their actual capacity, after which problems start to occur. Run SD Insight to see if your card is legit. If it's valid, then it might still be corrupt--try a different card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Difficulty transferring music files to my phone's external SanDisk 64gb microSD card. I BEG for

Thanks to acejavelin for pointing out the multiple threads to me. They have been merged, and some of the posts have been deleted due duplication and cleanup.

To LeviCituaist: please stick with this thread. Creating multiple threads about the same issue can be very confusing to people who are trying to help. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! More details would be helpful. Which phone? Are you saying that you tried to encrypt the SD card, but the phone tells you that it couldn't because of an unnamed error?