Tell me about Android 6 encryption

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: Tell me about Android 6 encryption.

What is it you want to know?

Two things, for starters.

1. Can I set up my SD card for portable storage, so I can put mu photos on it and read it in another device?

2. Are there any rumors on when Android will allow a different lock screen code from your boot up code?

Thanks

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Two things, for starters.

1. Can I set up my SD card for portable storage, so I can put mu photos on it and read it in another device?

2. Are there any rumors on when Android will allow a different lock screen code from your boot up code?

Thanks
1. Yes, in Portable Storage mode the card is treated like it always has been in previous versions of Android, it is an unencrypted FAT filesystem that can be read (and written) to in any compatible device, including Windows, Apple, and Linux PCs. Adopted Storage encrypts the storage and it will only work in the device that encrypted it.

2. I have no idea.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

1. Yes, in Portable Storage mode the card is treated like it always has been in previous versions of Android, it is an unencrypted FAT filesystem that can be read (and written) to in any compatible device, including Windows, Apple, and Linux PCs. Adopted Storage encrypts the storage and it will only work in the device that encrypted it.

2. I have no idea.

Thanks.

I'll just hang around, as I'm sure I will have more questions.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Another question.

Is the backup on Google encrypted with the key from your phone, or can you download everything after a factory reset? I think the answer should be "no it isn't".

If you destroy the old key by resetting, and the phone generates a new one does this mean that your restoration will be encrypted with the new key?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Another question.

Is the backup on Google encrypted with the key from your phone, or can you download everything after a factory reset? I think the answer should be "no it isn't".

If you destroy the old key by resetting, and the phone generates a new one does this mean that your restoration will be encrypted with the new key?
I am not sure what asking about, the information on Google is secured by your Google account password... When you restore any device and set your Google account on it, your settings will be restored (contacts, wallpaper, WiFi credentials, etc), and with Lollipop or higher you will be given the option to restore apps from XXX device that you choose. You Google account is common among all devices, the encryption on the device is on the device, where the data comes from is not relevant... does that answer your question?

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Yes, thank you.

My concern was that the phone would send an encrypted version of everything to google, thereby rendering it illegible to everything but the phone.

I know Google encrypts everything which sits on its servers.

I'm just looking for snakes in he woodpile, before I get immersed in this.

This seems to be the only way to get much information firsthand, so thank you again.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Yes, thank you.

My concern was that the phone would send an encrypted version of everything to google, thereby rendering it illegible to everything but the phone.

I know Google encrypts everything which sits on its servers.

I'm just looking for snakes in he woodpile, before I get immersed in this.

This seems to be the only way to get much information firsthand, so thank you again.
You are over thinking it... Google account data is shared, if you have your password you can access it on any device. Encryption, as in Android encryption, is device specific, not data specific.

There are always snakes in the woodpile, but most of them are harmless garter snakes, every now and then you run into something more dangerous, but its extremely rare. :)

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Update.

Phone arrived this morning and it shipped with 5.1.1, so I can stop fussing about encryption for now, as I am going to run it on Lollipop for a while, and when I download Marshmallow encryption will still be optional. (I think)

I am absolutely delighted with the phone, and would recommend it enthusiastically to anyone who just wants a smart phone, but doesn't want to spend $400 to $600. (or even more)

I'm much happier with it than I was with my Nexus 4, which was my first Android phone following an iPhone 4, which was my first smartphone.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Good luck! I am sure you will enjoy it... There is no real issue with going to Marshmallow, if you have it available grab it now, factory reset (just to keep things clean since you just got it) and set it up on fresh. You will be glad you did.

Alan-in-NC

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

I'm a new Moto G user (3rd gen 16/2 version w/ Marshmallow). Has anyone had any issues with encryption slowing the phone down, or any other issues such as data loss, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

I'm a new Moto G user (3rd gen 16/2 version w/ Marshmallow). Has anyone had any issues with encryption slowing the phone down, or any other issues such as data loss, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

It slowed mine down albeit on 5.1.1

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance!
It will slow it down somewhat, mostly on large read/write operations, the encryption process is somewhat CPU intensive, but it shouldn't be significant. If you need encryption, you need it... if you don't why bother? Data loss is always possible, but the risk is minimal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress