Bluetooth headset works well for voice calls, but really bad for listening to music

markitzer0

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
My BT headset is near unusable to listen to music at the gym; it "skips" (music cuts out for a split second) perhaps once every 20 seconds. What I don't understand is that when I use it to make calls, it seems to work quite well: the other person's voice never cuts out, and I'm told that my voice doesn't cut out at all either.

Which doesn't make sense to me...why is the connection so reliable when I'm using it as a phone headset, but it skips like crazy when I'm just using it to listen to music (which I've downloaded to my phone; so it's not streaming)? Does my Moto G, like, give the BT connection a higher / more reliable "priority" or something when it's being used as a phone headset?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it does... When using as a phone, most apps/functions are relegated to second planes. But still, that shouldn't mean that Music should become unusable. When that happens to me on my computer, it's because either the LG Headphones I own are doing it or the PC's BT hardware is, but it seems to create a bad connection between the two. I have to turn the headphones off, turn them on and re-pair for it to be fixed.

Also check that your headphones aren't connecting to any other devices at the same time, as this CAN cause the skipping.

Do you have the same issue if you try other BT headphones or car system? How about regular wired headphones?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What headset? Does it support A2DP profile?

I use a Plantronics Voyager Pro and don't have this problem, but I rarely listen to music with it (I would test, but forgot it at home this week)

markitzer0

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Actually, it does... When using as a phone, most apps/functions are relegated to second planes. But still, that shouldn't mean that Music should become unusable. When that happens to me on my computer, it's because either the LG Headphones I own are doing it or the PC's BT hardware is, but it seems to create a bad connection between the two. I have to turn the headphones off, turn them on and re-pair for it to be fixed.

Also check that your headphones aren't connecting to any other devices at the same time, as this CAN cause the skipping.

Do you have the same issue if you try other BT headphones or car system? How about regular wired headphones?

- Yes, I find that if I turn my phone's BT connection off, and then back on and let the headset re-pair, it often makes the connection better...rarely fixes it completely though.

- Headset def isn't connecting to any other hardware at the gym.

- What's equally aggravating is that I have tried this headset with other BT devices and it works pretty well...likewise, I have used my phone to connect to other BT speakers, and it works well also. IOW, I've tried to isolate the problem to either the headset or the phone, but both work fine with other devices. It's only this particular connection between my phone and this headset that is problematic. Not sure if that helps troubleshoot or not...

- FWIW, the headset is a cheap $30 Cheetah Mpow BT 4.0 thing; can't link to it here b/c of low post count...not sure whether it's A2DP or what...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of those (maybe not the same, but with that brand they're pretty much the same chipset) and I don't have issues with a Note 5. Try disabling WiFi on your phone first, then connecting the headphones. Does it work?

lomeraniel

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I also have a MPOW headset and I have the same issue. I mainly use Audible and listen to audiobooks, but the skips are often so annoying that I cannot follow the book. No issues with wired headphones. In other thread some people exposed some possible solutions as turning the wifi off, location off, keeping the screen on, etc, but nothing worked for me:

forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/477341-note-4-bluetooth-skipping-audio-10.html

I have a THL 5000.