My Moto G3 ignores the sleep setting after factory reset

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just did a factory reset on my Motorola phone. Now the screen sleeps after 7 seconds, no matter what I set the sleep delay to.

I tried installing a "never sleep" app, but the screen still blanks after 7 seconds a with the app running.

The screen does not blank while I'm active, but I have to work steadily or it goes black.

Any ideas?

bobdoss

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: My Moto X ignores the sleep setting after factory reset

UPDATE: I said "Moto X" by force-of-habit.

My phone is really a Moto G - 3rd Gen

bobdoss

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site

I didn't realize that Android had a Safe Mode, but I Googled it, and re-booted into Safe Mode.

Unfortunately, the problem persists just the same in Safe Mode :mad:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I didn't realize that Android had a Safe Mode, but I Googled it, and re-booted into Safe Mode.

Unfortunately, the problem persists just the same in Safe Mode :mad:
Are you using a case or screen protector?

You could try a couple of things. What do you have selected in settings - security - Automatically lock? Also in your security settings, select Smart lock - input your unlock method and enable on-body detection. This could work as a temporary workaround until this issue gets fixed.

bobdoss

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
No case or screen protector.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place, but when I click "settings-security-screen lock" I don't see the choices you mention.

The options I see are None, Swipe, Pattern, PIN and Password. I'm currently set to None, but I've tried all of these with the same result

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
No case or screen protector.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place, but when I click "settings-security-screen lock" I don't see the choices you mention.

The options I see are None, Swipe, Pattern, PIN and Password. I'm currently set to None, but I've tried all of these with the same result
Hmmm. Don't you have the Smart Lock option?

bobdoss

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
AH!

I was looking only at the "Screen Lock" setting. I didn't notice the others because they are not displayed or grayed out for Screen Lock = None or Swipe.

I changed Screen Lock to Pattern, set Automatic Lock to 30 seconds and Smart Lock to On-body detection and Trusted Locations.

Still no joy - the screen still sleeps after about 7 seconds

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
AH!

I was looking only at the "Screen Lock" setting. I didn't notice the others because they are not displayed or grayed out for Screen Lock = None or Swipe.

I changed Screen Lock to Pattern, set Automatic Lock to 30 seconds and Smart Lock to On-body detection and Trusted Locations.

Still no joy - the screen still sleeps after about 7 seconds
Try a factory reset again... Don't restore or install anything and retest, if it still fails it's a hardware issue, there is no known issue I am aware of like this.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Try a factory reset again... Don't restore or install anything and retest, if it still fails it's a hardware issue, there is no known issue I am aware of like this.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with this. Just in case, you could try a couple more things before the factory reset. First wipe the cache partition from recovery. If no go, run tests for all the sensors and other hardware using the Help app - Fix - Hardware tests. See if the tests can detect any failure.