Miracast: Anyone get Casting screen to work?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have an ASUS Tablet and a PazzPort Miracast dongle to the HDMI in the TV and it works perfectly.

I cannot get the dongle to see the phone or phone to see the dongle when I tap "Cast Screen." It says "No nearby devices were found," but the ASUS will find it almost instantly.

No I am not trying to cast both at the same time. :O

Thoughts or suggestions?

I am a slave to Miracast. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have an ASUS Tablet and a PazzPort Miracast dongle to the HDMI in the TV and it works perfectly.

I cannot get the dongle to see the phone or phone to see the dongle when I tap "Cast Screen." It says "No nearby devices were found," but the ASUS will find it almost instantly.

No I am not trying to cast both at the same time. :O

Thoughts or suggestions?

I am a slave to Miracast. :)

AFAIK, the Moto G isn't supposed to have Miracast support. I think it may have been missed during the KitKat port.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but that's a little weird then as it is an option in the "Display" screen of set up. Although, it just says "Cast screen" does not say "Miracast screen," but then nor does the ASUS. :)

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
This does now work. It's worked unofficially since jellybean as well. In Jellybean there was no screen cast option. In Kit Kat the "Cast Screen" option is there but there is a missing settings button to turn it on. The only way to do this is to be rooted. It was worth it for me.

XDA was the solution I found after googling this.

All you have to do is using something like root explorer go under System and open the build.prop file.

Change:

persist.debug.wfd.enable=0

to

persist.debug.wfd.enable=1

So basically from 0 to 1. Don't mess with the wdf.virtual beneath it. I did and it shut my radio off. As always, you should do a back up before messing with the build.prop file. Just do a quick reboot and when you go under display, cast screen, you will now see a box that allows you to check miracast on or off.

For those who have a miracast adapter. It's around the same procedure except you have to go into wi-fi direct settings after you connect to the wi-fi access point (or wireless adapter that it comes with) and the wi-fi direct should say invite sent. Then it will allow you to connect to the miracast display. I did it without doing the wi-fi direct and an odd message about wi-fi direct came on about cancelling or accepting but both options did nothing.

There is a slight lag for me when I use miracast but I'm using the reception from my phone. But there was no latency when I tested out a game. Youtube videos appear to be slightly downgraded in quality but that might depend on your connection speed. Streaming vudu movies worked perfect but again it will lag for a second every few minutes. Google Play Movies won't work saying it's unsecure. I'm going to try a few things and see if I can get that working. And unfortunately netflix only casts the sound not the display for some reason. I'm trying to find out the solution to both of those.

I haven't tested hulu plus since I don't use it. Droid TV is better. And I know someone will say "Chomecast. Chromecast. Chromecast." Chromecast won't work for everyone who don't have home internet, limited internet, or slow internet speeds. I'm doing all this off my phone which works for me.

Hope this helps everyone. Can't believe that motorola locked this feature out.

kalinbi

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
This does now work. It's worked unofficially since jellybean as well. In Jellybean there was no screen cast option. In Kit Kat the "Cast Screen" option is there but there is a missing settings button to turn it on. The only way to do this is to be rooted. It was worth it for me.

XDA was the solution I found after googling this.

All you have to do is using something like root explorer go under System and open the build.prop file.

Change:

persist.debug.wfd.enable=0

to

So basically from 0 to 1. Don't mess with the wdf.virtual beneath it. I did and it shut my radio off. As always, you should do a back up before messing with the build.prop file. Just do a quick reboot and when you go under display, cast screen, you will now see a box that allows you to check miracast on or off.

For those who have a miracast adapter. It's around the same procedure except you have to go into wi-fi direct settings after you connect to the wi-fi access point (or wireless adapter that it comes with) and the wi-fi direct should say invite sent. Then it will allow you to connect to the miracast display. I did it without doing the wi-fi direct and an odd message about wi-fi direct came on about cancelling or accepting but both options did nothing.

There is a slight lag for me when I use miracast but I'm using the reception from my phone. But there was no latency when I tested out a game. Youtube videos appear to be slightly downgraded in quality but that might depend on your connection speed. Streaming vudu movies worked perfect but again it will lag for a second every few minutes. Google Play Movies won't work saying it's unsecure. I'm going to try a few things and see if I can get that working. And unfortunately netflix only casts the sound not the display for some reason. I'm trying to find out the solution to both of those.

I haven't tested hulu plus since I don't use it. Droid TV is better. And I know someone will say "Chomecast. Chromecast. Chromecast." Chromecast won't work for everyone who don't have home internet, limited internet, or slow internet speeds. I'm doing all this off my phone which works for me.

Hope this helps everyone. Can't believe that motorola locked this feature out.

How do I make a backup?

Mr Cabana

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I did what you suggested, but when I went to reboot my phone, the screen keeps blinking with the Motorola logo underneath.
The build.prop file didn't have the persist.debug.wfd.enable setting, so I added it before persist.sys.wfd.virtual=0

Before changes:
##property to choose between virtual/external wfd display
persist.sys.wfd.virtual=0
# Motorola, ams087, 09/24/2013, IKJBMR2-6432 : disable tunnel audio encode
#tunnel.audio.encode = true
After changes:

##property to choose between virtual/external wfd display
persist.sys.wfd.virtual=0
# Motorola, ams087, 09/24/2013, IKJBMR2-6432 : disable tunnel audio encode
#tunnel.audio.encode = true

How can I restore the build.prop file? Why didn't it work?

Edit: Ok, I managed to restore the original file in TWRP. Now, how can I apply this setting in a secure way?

Felipe Ravono

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
This fix didn't work for me. I stayed up until 4am last night getting my Moto G4 XT-1621 rooted. Downloaded an editor only to find that I already have "persist.debug.wfd.enable=1" (set to '1', not '0') in the build.prop file. So, I'm back where I started which is when I tap on "cast" (in the display menu), I simply get a message that there are no devices in the area.

Any ideas how I could get Miracast going?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress