Could someone validate the read/ write speeds of the internal memory? moto G3 8Gb version

Alfa Kapa

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I checked the write/read speeds of the internal storage (the 8Gb motog3) using an app from the play store and I want someone to validate the numbers I see.. Read was about 40mb/s and write about 15mb/s (give or take).

I need those findings in order to see if a 64Gb Kingston U1 (class 10) micro SD will be suitable to "adopt" as internal storage, when marshmallow hits Europe. If the findings are around the above internal mark, then every U1 (micro SD XC) card should adopt and work flawlessly.
Let me know your internal memory speed or your experiences with "adopted" storage on 6.0, as well as the model of SD card! (if you have adopted it)
My model is the XT1541

Thanks in advance :)

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I checked the write/read speeds of the internal storage (the 8Gb motog3) using an app from the play store and I want someone to validate the numbers I see.. Read was about 40mb/s and write about 15mb/s (give or take).

I need those findings in order to see if a 64Gb Kingston U1 (class 10) micro SD will be suitable to "adopt" as internal storage, when marshmallow hits Europe. If the findings are around the above internal mark, then every U1 (micro SD XC) card should adopt and work flawlessly.
Let me know your internal memory speed or your experiences with "adopted" storage on 6.0, as well as the model of SD card! (if you have adopted it)
My model is the XT1541

Thanks in advance :)
The limiting factor will likely be the embedded card readers ability to transfer data... Android complains most cards will be slow but they are not.

Can you link the app your using for consistency?

Alfa Kapa

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah sure. The app is called " Disk Speed / Performance Test "
If you write " storage test " in the play store, it should be the second app of the results.
(I can't post links yet)

Today the internal storage speed was 38mb/s read and 18mb/s write.

The current Kingston 32Gb microSDHC U1 I already have in it, although from the manufacturer is rated at 45mb/s read and 10mb/s+ write, due to all the internals of the motoG, is benching at 28mb/s read and 13mb/s write!

So in theory if the 64Gb U1 microSDXC is performing around the same with this microSDHC card, then the data and apps in the "adopted" storage will be slower in access and write and this is a bummer :/

Here is the complete page with the speeds, the "secondary storage" is the microSDHC and the score is on the gray box bellow (for reasons only the dev knows) :p

Screenshot_2016-01-16-19-36-24.png

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any storage, regardless of speed, will "work". The phone waits for the storage. The question is how well it will work. A U1 card will write full HD video in real time, but not 4k video (you need U3 for that). For app and data storage, the spec is 10MB/s writing speed, so a particular card (usually the cheaper ones) might be a bit slow (it'll still work, just slower). The U3 spec is 30MB/s, so the minimum is way above your internal storage speed for any card.

(Kingston is a secondary manufacturer - they buy chips from Samsung or SanDisk. I prefer single-source problems [so no pone can point a finger at anyone but themselves] so I stick with Samsung [they're a lot easier to deal with than Samsung, if you have a problem - you can even ask them your question by email, and someone there who knows will answer it].)

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So in theory if the 64Gb U1 microSDXC is performing around the same with this microSDHC card, then the data and apps in the "adopted" storage will be slower in access and write and this is a bummer :/

I used my Samsung EVO ,UHS-I, Class 10, 32 GB SD card (reference Samsung Evo MB-MP32DA/EU purchased from Amazon) as "internal/system storage" when I upgraded to Marshmallow and the phone was noticeably slower and sluggish, one of the reasons I reverted back to 5.1.1

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
FYI if anyone is interested (in the USA), Best Buy has the PNY UHS-I/U3 High Speed microSD card on sale today (Deal of the Day) in 32 or 64 GB versions, looks like in-store pickup only, but for $14.99 and $29.99 it's a pretty good deal. One of the faster cards out there.

Regarding the UHS standard... do we actually know which UHS compatibility the Motorola Moto G 2015 supports ? I cannot find anything, I would guess it should obviously support UHS-I for the 1080p raw video recording to external storage without hiccups but what about higher speeds ? if the Moto G 2015 internals are only UHS-I compliant then there's no use in buying SD cards faster than that standard.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the UHS standard... do we actually know which UHS compatibility the Motorola Moto G 2015 supports ? I cannot find anything, I would guess it should obviously support UHS-I for the 1080p raw video recording to external storage without hiccups but what about higher speeds ? if the Moto G 2015 internals are only UHS-I compliant then there's no use in buying SD cards faster than that standard.
Class and UHS-1/3 ratings are for cards only, readers are not rated that way...

This would fall under SD Card Bus minimum speed ratings of "Normal" 6MB/s, "High Speed" 10MB/s, UHS-I 10MB/s, or UHS-II 30MB/s

UHS-1 or UHS-3 is a card rating, UHS-I or UHS-II is a bus speed. It's kind of confusing actually, especially if you look here which is supposed to be the "standard"

My best guess is the phone has a UHS-I bus speed reader from the speeds that have been reported.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My best guess is the phone has a UHS-I bus speed reader from the speeds that have been reported.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I contacted Amazon which in turn contacted someone from Motorola/Lenovo and in 15 minutes I had a reply stating that "SD cards or devices above UHS-I specifications won't perform any faster or better due to the hardware design of the Motorola Moto G 2015 smartphone device", so we're all good with a UHS-I/1, class 10 card.

Also, I directly referred to the SD "issues" introduced by the Marshmallow update and they told me "it is an Android Marshmallow feature and not a bug that should be changed or addressed by our developer team, we cannot alter that parte of the code in any way", then they did prompt me to revert to 5.1.1 in case I wanted to use the SD card as I wanted but I have already rolled back to 5.1.1

so I guess Google not very happy with users moving data to SD cards and they're making it a bit of a nightmare in Marshmallow to use it and access it from a computer compared to the way it works with 5.1.1, I guess I will stay on 5.1.1 until a phone as cheap (and good) as the Moto G 2015 includes 32 GB of internal storage, maybe this time next year, and then the 70 bucks I saved by buying the 8 GB version will be put to good use. I understand users with the Moto G 2015 16 GB are a bit less annoyed with Marshmallow, but there's still this problem that you cannot "micromanage" everything from your computer anymore since a large part of the data remains invisible to the devices connected to Marshmallow.