Battery Usage Questions/Tips?

lkct01234

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
First question, I know the "Turbo Charging" adapter that comes with it is different than a "standard" android charger. But does using a standard charger hurt the battery life? I want to make a 100% sure I want this phone before I start unpacking everything, so I figured I could just use the one I have been using previously.

The bigger issue: My battery life is sporadic!

My last phone was Moto DROID MAXX. I enjoyed it but the battery life was degrading (expectedly) and I like being able to get the newer Android OS on the G4 Plus. I'm a pretty heavy FB user, text a lot and play a few word games (AlphaBetty, which I know is a huge screen drain). So when it came time for a new phone I realized battery is one of the top priorities so I got the G4 Plus. I've had it for just under a week and it seems like some days the battery is great and some days it drains.

I've done all the "standard" tricks: Screen brightness down (although the auto brightness is weird because sometimes it's just too dim), sleep after 30 seconds

I do wear a Garmin Vivoactive and so bluetooth is running throughout the day, but it never seemed to really drain the battery in the DROID MAXX. I don't want to have to disable GPS to save battery. (Although I did just change it to battery saving, but we'll see.)

I think the culprit is that in our bedroom, the wifi signal is low. We have a repeater that only works with 2.4 GhZ but we have both 5 and 2.4 coming from the router. I think the phone is switching to and from the 2.4 and 5 signal and is draining the battery. I had the phone "forget" the 2.4 network but it still seems to drain. I could get a new repeater, which I'm not opposed to but it seems a bit silly in principal.

Here is batter usage top users:
Screen: 9%
Cell Standby: 7%
Android OS: 5%

Oh, I did turn off the WiFi Scanning and Bluetooth Scanning.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but if I can do the same thing (pretty much) on my MAXX that is not new, I feel like I should at least be able to get through the day. I was down to about 30% use after it being unplugged for 7 hours.

Thanks!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I probably have the same battery power as you, on my g4+, but lately I'm using my phone less heavily and I can easily go 48 hours (maybe 2 to 4 hours of screen on time without using any games and not using much youtube or other steaming media). When I use the phone more heavily I get less than 24 hours. It all depends on what apps I use. Sorry if I'm not helpful.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
does using a standard charger hurt the battery life?
No, in fact, if the rapid charger causes the battery temperature to go up (just reasonably), a standard 5 Volt charger might increase the battery life. At very worst, it won't change it. (It WILL take longer to go from, say, 40% to 100% than a fast or rapid charger will. (Never let the battery drop below 40%.)
it seems like some days the battery is great and some days it drains. I've done all the "standard" tricks: Screen brightness down (although the auto brightness is weird because sometimes it's just too dim), sleep after 30 seconds
As I said, don't let it drop down below 40%. Start thinking about recharging it when it gets down around 48% and you'll probably catch it in time.
I don't want to have to disable GPS to save battery. (Although I did just change it to battery saving, but we'll see.)
The GPS receiver doesn't drain much battery - but apps that call it for a fix do.
I think the culprit is that in our bedroom, the wifi signal is low.
That could do it.
Here is batter usage top users: Screen: 9% Cell Standby: 7% Android OS: 5%
That's pretty low.
I feel like I should at least be able to get through the day.
8 hours? So does everyone. Most people don't get it.
I was down to about 30%
Constantly doing that will kill the battery. Not so it needs recharging, but so it needs replacing.

lkct01234

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
No, in fact, if the rapid charger causes the battery temperature to go up (just reasonably), a standard 5 Volt charger might increase the battery life. At very worst, it won't change it. (It WILL take longer to go from, say, 40% to 100% than a fast or rapid charger will. (Never let the battery drop below 40%.) As I said, don't let it drop down below 40%. Start thinking about recharging it when it gets down around 48% and you'll probably catch it in time. The GPS receiver doesn't drain much battery - but apps that call it for a fix do. That could do it. That's pretty low. 8 hours? So does everyone. Most people don't get it. Constantly doing that will kill the battery. Not so it needs recharging, but so it needs replacing.

This might sound silly but are you talking about the Moto G4 plus, the one that has the really large/long lasting battery? How was I able to get that use out of my Motorola MAXX after using it for over a year...but not on my brand new phone with a larger battery? I really am curious if you can break down why.

Also, charge when it gets to 40%? That's not going to happen, honestly. However, I'm curious as to learn the science behind why the battery shouldn't drop below that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laeahkora