Android Updates ?

dhartsock

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
New to Android. I have the G4 Plus. Brand new and I don't have a SIM card in currently. Just using WiFi to add apps and learn my way around Android. Will Nougat be pushed to this phone since it is not affiliated with a carrier?

dhartsock

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
As I said being new to Android I am not clear on how updates are pushed out. I know carriers have control of whether they want to push Nougat to phones on their network. But Lenovo/Moto can push updates directly to phones? That seems odd if they can bypass carriers... or do some carriers allow that?

Seems I can't take a simple "Yes" for an answer...sorry. :)

dhartsock

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Okay. That is incentive for me to not put a SIM card in this phone until it receives the update. I have no timeline I need to meet for getting this phone on a network.

Currently using a Lumia 640 on T-Moble. I rather love the Windows Phone OS... 8.1 anyway. For the most part major apps are not a problem but local apps for news, business are sadly lacking. Hence my movement towards Android.

Thanks everyone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As I said being new to Android I am not clear on how updates are pushed out. I know carriers have control of whether they want to push Nougat to phones on their network. But Lenovo/Moto can push updates directly to phones? That seems odd if they can bypass carriers... or do some carriers allow that?

Seems I can't take a simple "Yes" for an answer...sorry. :)

Let me clarify some things.

It depends on the OEM and it depends on the phone.

Specifically, you're asking about the Motorola Moto G Plus, correct?

I'm assuming you're referring to the unlocked, all-US carrier model, correct?

So.. Motorola has to develop and test their build - be it a bug fix release, security patch release, OS upgrade, or some, or all.

Even with unlocked devices, they can still also submit it to carriers for testing. Based on Google+/social media posts from Motorola employees that have communicated to consumers on the update process, I know that updates for phones like the Moto X Pure Edition (...unlocked phones that work on Verizon) have been submitted to Verizon for testing. We saw an update for the Moto X Pure Edition that wasn't available for a short period if you had a Verizon SIM in the phone.

At the end of the day, the OEM still owns the process of getting the update onto a device via OTA. Technically, carriers aren't the ones pulling the trigger but their approval is what allows Motorola to send the OTA.

Other things:

Just because a phone is "near stock-Android" doesn't necessarily mean it'll get updates faster. It's up to the OEM still based on their priorities.

Just because a phone is unlocked and carrier-free doesn't necessarily mean it'll get updates faster. It's still up to the OEM based on their priorities. Examples: Samsung also sells an unlocked Galaxy S7 that works on all four US carriers, like the fourth gen Moto Gs. Carrier variants, like the Galaxy S7 for Verizon, still got updates before the unlocked model. Motorola sells the Moto Z Droid as the Verizon carrier model of the Moto Z. The Moto Z Droid (and Moto Z Force Droid, which shares the same build) got their Nougat update already, which also made it one of the first (if not the first) phones to get upgraded to Nougat not named Nexus. The unlocked GSM Moto Z still doesn't have Nougat yet.

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay. That is incentive for me to not put a SIM card in this phone until it receives the update. I have no timeline I need to meet for getting this phone on a network.
It's not affected by the SIM card. The network you're on for this unlocked phone shouldn't affect when it gets updated. That will be up to Motorola. There's no need to not use it in the meantime.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not affected by the SIM card. The network you're on for this unlocked phone shouldn't affect when it gets updated. That will be up to Motorola. There's no need to not use it in the meantime.

That's not completely true. We saw a Moto X Pure Edition update that was delayed if you had a Verizon SIM in the phone. Take it out and connect via WiFi and you got that update.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Moto has stated that they will not release monthly security updates. At best we will get security updates twice a year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Moto has stated that they will not release monthly security updates. At best we will get security updates twice a year.

They didn't commit to updates. They did commit to security updates on their own schedule - as in whatever they want to do, not necessarily twice a year.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got the wife a g4 plus last week. It's got a cricket sim in it but is still on marshmallow and July security update. Will it update soon or do I need to try without a sim? Any other way to force some updates through?

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just got the wife a g4 plus last week. It's got a cricket sim in it but is still on marshmallow and July security update. Will it update soon or do I need to try without a sim? Any other way to force some updates through?
No known updates without flashing them from another region

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering how long it will be before we start seeing it pushed out in US.

My security patch still shows July.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that already has 7.0 can you possibly share some opinions on how the device is running?
Do you notice any performance issues? Good and bad opinions.
Also battery life. Has it improved? Good and bad opinions are appreciated.

Hoping we see it soon in the US!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana