Moto G5 Plus - Thinking of buying

the_hadlander

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I recently bricked my iPhone 6s, and I've been looking at a few mid-range Android phones as a replacement, but the Noto G5 + is the one I find the most intriguing (Honor 8 is the other big frontrunner). My biggest concerns with buying a phone are overall reliability, battery life (which was terrible on the iPhone 6s, and audio quality (via headphones). Aside from the basics, I listen to a ton of music on my phone non-stop, read emails, watch YouTube... the only game I really play is Pokemon Go. Can anyone share their experiences with their Moto G 5 Pluses so far? This would be my first time jumping off the Apple train, and anytime I go to Reddit or other Android forums, they are riddled with bizarre issues with their Android phones.

(Note: I'm not a big fan of 5.5-and-above- phones, and the Z Play is just too unwieldy for me).

Droid669

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I recently bricked my iPhone 6s, and I've been looking at a few mid-range Android phones as a replacement, but the Noto G5 + is the one I find the most intriguing (Honor 8 is the other big frontrunner). My biggest concerns with buying a phone are overall reliability, battery life (which was terrible on the iPhone 6s, and audio quality (via headphones). Aside from the basics, I listen to a ton of music on my phone non-stop, read emails, watch YouTube... the only game I really play is Pokemon Go. Can anyone share their experiences with their Moto G 5 Pluses so far? This would be my first time jumping off the Apple train, and anytime I go to Reddit or other Android forums, they are riddled with bizarre issues with their Android phones.

(Note: I'm not a big fan of 5.5-and-above- phones, and the Z Play is just too unwieldy for me).
This phone is amazing, battery life is all day, for me I have WiFi on and stream a solid 8 hours of podcasts at work and YouTube on my break and battery is at 70% when I leave work and also play Pokemon go and is at 30% at 11pm, I unplug it at 3:30am, solid phone all around

Hobson123

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
The g5 plus is a solid phone! I would consider the phone reliable it's been a great since I've owned it. In fact I've not touched my iPhone 7+ for weeks because of using this phone.

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been extremely happy with my G5+. Amazing battery life as others have said - I almost never charge in the middle of the day. Also very smooth scrolling without stuttering or lag despite having a mid-range processor. And all this for an amazing price.

That being said...

...audio is one place I have not been as happy as I thought. It uses the earpiece as a loudspeaker, which is nice because it's front firing instead of on the back or bottom. Yet... it is not as clear or loud as I thought it would be when on speakerphone or watching videos. It is not bad - just that I thought it would be markedly improved vs other phones. Sound output through headphones and BT have been fine though, so maybe this will be fine for you.

The other thing is the size. Although screen is 5.2" if you check out the physical dimensions of the phone it is as large as many 5.5" phones despite having a smaller screen. Almost identical in physical dimensions vs my prior LG G4 despite a reduction of screen from 5.5 -> 5.2. And larger than my old G2 despite both having a 5.2" screen. I guess that's what you give up at this price point :)

I am still happy with my G5+, but before getting one, you may want to review vs the Axon 7 / 7 Mini (both I think have front stereo speakers and do some size comparisons on phonearena etc before purchasing.

jazman_777

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd put the G5 Plus right in between an iPhone 6 and 6+ on size. It's kind of klunky for Android phones, but probably typical for iPhones, with respect to screen/phone size ratios.

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I got a Motorola G5 Plus phone on Monday, July 3rd, after my Nexus 5 phone gave up on me...the Motorola phone is very nice: stock Android 7.0 (not the latest updates though), very smooth movement from screen to screen, long lasting battery, feels premium. The screen is 5.2" but the phone itself is bit (maybe 5.5" with the bezels on top and bottom).