X Phone Canceled??

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
i think this moto phone will be released shortly after they announce it this week. no reason to think it will be in the fall.

From what I have read, it is pretty clear that there are two distinct Motorola phones in development. One is 4.5" or so and 720p, these days that is apparently considered "midrange", and that one is fairly close to being released. Then there is a larger 1080p one coming in the fall. I don't know why people are talking as if the existence of the midrange phone means Motorola will never release another phone after that.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm kind of upset they didn't unveil anything new in terms of mobile devices.

Doesn't Moto do it's own event every summer? Think it was August or September last year. Maybe they're waiting for that to announce whatever they're doing? Bad idea if that's the case, because then they are competing with the Nexus pretty much head to head.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Moto do it's own event every summer? Think it was August or September last year. Maybe they're waiting for that to announce whatever they're doing? Bad idea if that's the case, because then they are competing with the Nexus pretty much head to head.

Good call if that's the case (I didn't know Moto did their own) but yeah, it would be pretty stupid to compete against themselves.....

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
well i guess ill hold onto my upgrade on at&t until this moto phone or the next nexus is announced. looks as it could be into the fall before we get any real decent new phones.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know when AT&T's event is, Verizon should be end of this month.

Que? I'm going to research this but in case I can;t figure it out, could you link me to it or at least tell me what it's called? I didn't know they did this. Man, it's only 9 AM and I've learned a lot so far today hahaha

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
i asked at&t today and they don't know of any new moto device coming. shame as i have an upgrade im sitting on.

Even if they did, they're not supposed to say anything until they're allowed to say something.

jreacher

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm running out of potential new phones to buy :(
I have a feeling this is just a mid range and we haven't seen the high end (hoping anyway)

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting we saw no rumors during i/o. I would not be surprised if it was more mid level on par with the N4. The real goals of the project, as I see them, are price, battery life, near- vanilla android.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting we saw no rumors during i/o. I would not be surprised if it was more mid level on par with the N4. The real goals of the project, as I see them, are price, battery life, near- vanilla android.

The N4 is mid-level? By summer 2013 standards it's still top 5 devices out there and on the day it was released it was the highest end phone in existence. Is the Galaxy S3 a mid level phone?

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The N4 is mid-level? By summer 2013 standards it's still top 5 devices out there and on the day it was released it was the highest end phone in existence. Is the Galaxy S3 a mid level phone?

Last year's high end are now mid level, the S3 is still a great phone but what would you call it if it came out today? Not high end I would imagine.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Last year's high end are now mid level, the S3 is still a great phone but what would you call it if it came out today? Not high end I would imagine.

Okay I think I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the N4 was a mid-range device. It's priced lower than mid-ranged devices, but being as it's still one of the best devices available and it's certainly the best value available, that I'd disagree with. The S3 released today would be a mid-range device, but since last year's Moto's, the Razr HD and Razr HD Maxx, were already better than the S3 - from a spec's perspective, expecting them to release something worse than last year's seems off. Every Nexus ever released has been the best device in it's niche (size and time of release) and three of them hold records still for being the longest running device to lead in their category. That's what I was questioning, if you were saying the Nexus devices were budget devices, etc.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay I think I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the N4 was a mid-range device. It's priced lower than mid-ranged devices, but being as it's still one of the best devices available and it's certainly the best value available, that I'd disagree with. The S3 released today would be a mid-range device, but since last year's Moto's, the Razr HD and Razr HD Maxx, were already better than the S3 - from a spec's perspective, expecting them to release something worse than last year's seems off. Every Nexus ever released has been the best device in it's niche (size and time of release) and three of them hold records still for being the longest running device to lead in their category. That's what I was questioning, if you were saying the Nexus devices were budget devices, etc.

All I am trying to say (and not doing a great job at it) is not to expect it to wow from a spec perspective over what we have already seen this year. It probably doesn't need the 800 and 3GB of RAM. Anyone who says 4GB certainly doesn't know what they are talking about because ARM has not released 64bit yet.

Smartphone specs are starting to run into the law of diminishing return for most users except in the battery and camera departments. Unless the form factor morphs into something that requires more horsepower, the high end phones from last year do the job quite well. If the always listening feature pans out then that may warrant a better processor or if it has a Chromebook mode with a dock I want the fastest A15 I can get. If, though, it is to be a good smartphone with wide appeal I would like to see them push the envelope in battery life, updates and price even if it has a S4 Pro or one of the new 400s in it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

A lot of that is due to Google's Nexus release cycle being in the "off season" for smartphones. Everyone else drops their heavy hitters in the spring.

Not saying they aren't nice devices, but on the same cycle, they wouldn't be nearly as stand out. The N4, without the low price point, wouldn't be a big draw to consumers vs what's on the market now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87