What would stop you from buying the Moto X?

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
All interesting points, though I want to clear a couple things up so we're not piling misinformation on top of more misinformation.

Exactly. It amazes me that everyone is just assuming GE phones and Google owned Motorola phones are somehow going to get automatic Nexus program privileges. I don't want to be too hard on them though because if the massive number of threads complaining about carrier/manufacturer delayed updates is any indication, this is probably THE most complained about android smartphone issue of all. People are grasping for anything to hope there's a solution around the corner.

Two things, the first being that updates is the most complained about feature by enthusiasts. Your average GSIV owner that bought it for the same reasons most iPhone users buy their iPhones doesn't care about what software version their phone is running. If they're even cognizant of their actual needs in a device (most aren't), then they only care about whether or not their device has those features. If an Android nerd bashes their brand-new SIV because it doesn't have 4.3 and won't get it for a while, the most interest they'll express would be whether or not the update added features they might use. Otherwise, staying at the forefront of the technology, just because it exists, isn't a priority for these people. It is for us, but we're not part of that majority.

Two, we still don't have anything really official about the Moto X yet, so there still isn't reason to confirm or deny it will get updates like a Nexus. At this point, we don't even know what's going to separate this from Verizon's new Droids (aside from the customizations and cross-carrier availability). You may absolutely be right about this, but even if you are, to the people Motorola wants to sell this device to, it won't matter. What'll really matter to them is being able to get it in pink. Or turquoise.

There is and there isn't. What we're seeing right now with the GE phones, and Google pulling the API's of their native apps out of the phones and into Google Play Services is an improvement that helps mitigate the annoyance of delayed updates somewhat, but not a total and complete solution. The only total solution available right now is a Nexus, and IMO that's not a problem. The Nexus 4 is a superb device, and the Nexus 5 is going to be incredible. Other than that, you're basically looking at going iPhone, which only managed to avoid delayed updates because they were able to strongarm the carriers in the early days and they make their own hardware.

The Nexus 4 was a great device, provided you weren't on either the largest or 3rd largest carrier in the US. What remote piece of evidence do you have to support that the Nexus 5 is going to be incredible? People keep adding this argument to the pile of reasons not to buy the Moto X, but we still have yet to hear anything about it, rumored or otherwise. With that in mind, who's to say it's not going to be another Nexus 4 that's also only available to GSM networks? If nothing else, the Moto X is going to be able to capture a larger segment of the market than the Nexus 4 ever could, and it doesn't make sense to try to compare it to vaporware.

However, having said all that, if Google are really as serious about outdoing Apple as they appear to be, then they SHOULD make a phone that's a combination of their own hardware - which they can now do because they own Motorola - as well as directly updated by Google software. If that were ever to come about, I really see no more reason to ever even consider an iPhone other than pure brand loyalty.

They're not. Apple wants to make money, they do this by hardware with markup. Google wants to make money, they do this by collecting user data and ad revenue. They now own a hardware company that is to be used to help them further that business model. This is why they make many of their services available to Apple products. If any one company is trying to "outdo" Apple, it's Samsung, and they should because they're competing for the same goal: selling hardware with markup.

So what's stopping them? Well basically neither the Nexus nor the Motorola brands command the same type of brand popularity that iPhones and Samsung do. So that means many carriers will not play nice with Google and allow a Motorola Nexus to be sold from their stores free of their software and controlled updates. Trying to gather sales as high as iPhone and Galaxy without being pushed to people by the carriers, and having to sell only from Play Store would be pretty tough.

We'll see what Google comes up with. It's a no-brainer that they have already likely discussed all of this.

Yes, this, (for different reasons) is what I think Google's goal is with Motorola. They want to make them profitable, they want to increase their device availability on more wireless carriers, and they're not afraid to spend marketing dollars to do it. A Nexus-like Motorola device or not, Motorola has already gained a lot of cooperation from the carriers for the launch of this device, but what that actually ends up meaning is yet to be seen.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
All interesting points, though I want to clear a couple things up so we're not piling misinformation on top of more misinformation.
It's all my opinion so it would be wrong to call it misinformation. Your error was in assuming I was specifically trying to pass them off as facts just because I didn't bother prefacing it with "in my opinion". Which is tiresome so I just hope people take it for granted that a post is my opinion unless I specifically mention otherwise (in which case I usually cite a source)

Two things, the first being that updates is the most complained about feature by enthusiasts. Your average GSIV owner that bought it for the same reasons most iPhone users buy their iPhones doesn't care about what software version their phone is running. If they're even cognizant of their actual needs in a device (most aren't), then they only care about whether or not their device has those features. If an Android nerd bashes their brand-new SIV because it doesn't have 4.3 and won't get it for a while, the most interest they'll express would be whether or not the update added features they might use. Otherwise, staying at the forefront of the technology, just because it exists, isn't a priority for these people. It is for us, but we're not part of that majority.

Granted. But given that I am an enthusiast, I was speaking as one.

Two, we still don't have anything really official about the Moto X yet, so there still isn't reason to confirm or deny it will get updates like a Nexus. At this point, we don't even know what's going to separate this from Verizon's new Droids (aside from the customizations and cross-carrier availability). You may absolutely be right about this, but even if you are, to the people Motorola wants to sell this device to, it won't matter. What'll really matter to them is being able to get it in pink. Or turquoise.
Not disagreeing with you, but again, see above

The Nexus 4 was a great device, provided you weren't on either the largest or 3rd largest carrier in the US. What remote piece of evidence do you have to support that the Nexus 5 is going to be incredible? People keep adding this argument to the pile of reasons not to buy the Moto X, but we still have yet to hear anything about it, rumored or otherwise.
Pure optimism. It makes me feel ooey gooey inside.

They're not. Apple wants to make money, they do this by hardware with markup. Google wants to make money, they do this by collecting user data and ad revenue. They now own a hardware company that is to be used to help them further that business model. This is why they make many of their services available to Apple products. If any one company is trying to "outdo" Apple, it's Samsung, and they should because they're competing for the same goal: selling hardware with markup.

I totally disagree. Google is like any other company. They seek profit. Just because their main revenue source is ads, do you really think they're just sleeping on that and not trying to expand? Google keeps pushing closer to getting into hardware every single year. This year they're releasing the first Googorola (slang) phone, likely 2 nexus devices, Chromecast, and they're also continuing efforts to make chromebooks more mainstream.

Google isn't even remotely close to being content to rest on being an ad revenue search company. For that matter, Apple content to sit on just hardware with markup? I doubt it. They're likely looking for new frontiers as well.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It's all my opinion so it would be wrong to call it misinformation. Your error was in assuming I was specifically trying to pass them off as facts just because I didn't bother prefacing it with "in my opinion". Which is tiresome so I just hope people take it for granted that a post is my opinion unless I specifically mention otherwise (in which case I usually cite a source)

Granted. But given that I am an enthusiast, I was speaking as one.

Not disagreeing with you, but again, see above

Pure optimism. It makes me feel ooey gooey inside.

I totally disagree. Google is like any other company. They seek profit. Just because their main revenue source is ads, do you really think they're just sleeping on that and not trying to expand? Google keeps pushing closer to getting into hardware every single year. This year they're releasing the first Googorola (slang) phone, likely 2 nexus devices, Chromecast, and they're also continuing efforts to make chromebooks more mainstream.

Google isn't even remotely close to being content to rest on being an ad revenue search company. For that matter, Apple content to sit on just hardware with markup? I doubt it. They're likely looking for new frontiers as well.

No worries brother! Not trying to get into a heated argument with you or criticize your opinion.

If you look at Google's history with all of their devices and general ventures into other markets, you'll start to more clearly see the trend of collecting user data and ad revenue being at the core of it all. If Google can start their own streaming music service and do nothing else except break even on the $9.99 people spend each month, then they've still got the profitable edge over Spotify or Pandora because they can start collecting analytical data on its users and sell that info to ad companies. Devices like the Chromecast are just another vehicle to fuel this further as they can do the same data collection with Play Movies, the movies you watch on Netflix, and their favorite old YouTube. So while I agree that they are most definitely interested in branching out of just collecting data and generating ad clicks, they haven't and won't stray far from those roots. And they most definitely are not just trying to "outdo" Apple.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Basically nothing. Unless it's not available off contract on Verizon at the same price point as other carriers. Going to replace my Verizon GS3.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
As long as there is a 64gb variant, I'm sold. I have both an HTC One and a Galaxy S4 and I'd appreciate selling the S4, getting the Moto X, and maybe even pocketing a little.

Posted via Android Central App

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What about the Moto X makes you want it more than the HTC One or S4?

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0

300 dollars off contract. I'm done with top of the line specs. I want a high-quality phone and stock Android. And I want to keep my unlimited data on Verizon. Who cares about top of the line anymore? My GS3 does everything I need it to quite well still, I just want real stock Android, not cobbled together Verizon ROM stock Android.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The only way I'm letting go of my beautifully-screened S4 is if the Note 3's specs beat it in every regard. However, I know not everyone is so fond of the S4.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
What about the Moto X makes you want it more than the HTC One or S4?

As tekhna said, price is a big factor for me too. My next round of upgrades isn't until October so I'd be paying full price for my next phone, and as of right now the GSIV and HTC One aren't worth that full asking price without a subsidy. That plus a phone that was built with Google's inspiration having near-stock Android, the always-on Google Now search, the smaller form factor, presumably better battery life, and the quality of Motorola's hardware (physical housing/constuction, earpiece/loudspeaker, cell antennae, NFC distance, etc) make for a more enticing package overall. Now that I'm typing it out, even if it is priced comparably to the SIV and One at full price, it still sounds more appealing.

When I bought my RAZR MAXX HD, 4.2 had just come out and it didn't have anything I really wanted. I figured it like this: it would run faster than my Galaxy Nexus, have obnoxiously better battery life, and I wouldn't be sacrificing any of the features I was previously using. All that turned out to be true, with a bonus that it was the most reliable device I've ever owned. The Moto X looks like it's about to do this again, with a bonus of all the new exclusive things it will have that we already know about. That's enough for me to want it over the other two, even if it doesn't have the latest and greatest screen or CPU. I prefer the efficiency that will come with it and the better battery life rather than having additional specs that I probably won't notice anyway.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
As tekhna said, price is a big factor for me too. My next round of upgrades isn't until October so I'd be paying full price for my next phone, and as of right now the GSIV and HTC One aren't worth that full asking price without a subsidy. That plus a phone that was built with Google's inspiration having near-stock Android, the always-on Google Now search, the smaller form factor, presumably better battery life, and the quality of Motorola's hardware (physical housing/constuction, earpiece/loudspeaker, cell antennae, NFC distance, etc) make for a more enticing package overall. Now that I'm typing it out, even if it is priced comparably to the SIV and One at full price, it still sounds more appealing.

When I bought my RAZR MAXX HD, 4.2 had just come out and it didn't have anything I really wanted. I figured it like this: it would run faster than my Galaxy Nexus, have obnoxiously better battery life, and I wouldn't be sacrificing any of the features I was previously using. All that turned out to be true, with a bonus that it was the most reliable device I've ever owned. The Moto X looks like it's about to do this again, with a bonus of all the new exclusive things it will have that we already know about. That's enough for me to want it over the other two, even if it doesn't have the latest and greatest screen or CPU. I prefer the efficiency that will come with it and the better battery life rather than having additional specs that I probably won't notice anyway.

This. We're hitting a point of diminishing returns in terms of CPU and RAM performance--everything basically works well. Price and battery life are starting to matter more to me than anything else. Maybe a better camera, but even then most phones come with a good enough camera. I'm done chasing specs.

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to decide, still on verizon "nexus". I'm tempted by lower prices, like the N4, with a nexus experience and upgrading every year. More choices in this price arena would be great. Battery life I'll pay attention to, and camera quality. Also the anticipated speed of updates.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why everyone keeps saying this device has amazing battery life... It hasn't even came out yet and if you go by what we think we know, it only has a 2200mah battery. How many phones have came out and the company claimed great battery life?

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It's mostly inference, though you're right, as there aren't any real world stats yet.

Simply put, if Motorola can get away with putting a smaller battery in the new Droid Ultra with it running a larger screen, then the 2200mAh in the Moto X should be fine. The magic of the S4 Pro of yesteryear is its ability to sleep exceptionally well and I'm trusting they've found a way to make it even more efficient.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Easy: No removable battery. Might as well buy an apple product for all the good this thing will do you.

...sooo basically Samsung for you or bust?

No no. It's Samsung for all of us or bust! Didn't you read his intelligently articulated post? We ALL should be buying only Samsung or iPhones! He said: "Might as well buy an apple product for all the good this thing will do you"
Apparently no phones without da remuvible badderee will do any of us any good!! darn, I wish someone had of told me that before I bought numerous other phones without "remuvible batteries derp" over the years that were either as good, or better than Samsung that year!! If only I had known that Samsung is the only phone that will do me any good!!! Oh woe is me....

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Now, now. The awesome thing about Android is the plethora of different hardware. There's really something for everyone. As much as I like the idea of a removable battery the truth is that I don't keep a phone long enough for it to really matter. I may change devices 2 or 3 times a year. Hopefully, most are smarter than me. The Moto X seems a little short on the specs that matter to me but many are more open-minded.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
After the way Motorola screwed us photon users, it's going to take an awesome phone for me to even consider going back! And the x ain't it!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87