(the bad) $199 on contract, $575 off contract, locked bootloader, customizing/32gb AT&T only, bloat

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
(the bad) $199 on contract, $575 off contract, locked bootloader, customizing/32gb AT&T only, bloat

A thread for the bad stuff. It's time to complain about not getting the things we wanted!!!!! :D So here's the bad....

1. No word yet on non-carrier retail price (i.e. buying through Google Play or Motorola)

2. $199 on contract / $32gb and customizing AT&T only
It's coming to five U.S. carriers in a few weeks and worldwide later, retailing for $199 on contract.

AT&T has the exclusive on a 32GB version.

For now, one of the coolest features of Moto X is constrained to a single U.S. carrier. That's great for AT&T. It's great if you're on AT&T. And it's lousy for everyone else.

Hands-on with the Moto X | Android Central

3. AT&T off contract price - $575
AT&T says that the full off-contract retail price for the 16GB and 32GB Moto X will be $575 and $630, respectively.

A 'Google Play' version of the Moto X is coming soon | The Verge

4. Bootloader locked (but can it be unlocked?)
As of this moment, the bootloader on the Moto X is ?not unlocked,? according to Motorola. I know that this news is going to disappoint many of you, but with the phone being tied to carriers, I can?t say that I?m exactly surprised by this move.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/01/moto-x-bootloader-is-locked/

5. Carrier bloatware is going nowhere
The Verizon Wireless Moto X, for example, is pre-loaded with a number of apps, including NFL Mobile, VZ Navigator, Verizon Tones, a voicemail app, a caller ID app, and a setup wizard. The device also has a Verizon Wireless logo on the back, and the phone checks with the carrier to see if tethering is enabled on your account before letting you share your internet connection.

A 'Google Play' version of the Moto X is coming soon | The Verge

6. No photosphere on camera

Last edited:

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: $199 on contract, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

Horrible. Nexus 4 has better specs in some instances and is cheaper off contract. And I am sure you can get Nexus 4 cheaper on contract as well.

The Nexus 4 has better build materials from my eyes too.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Depending on the off-contract price there may be a whole lot of whining. But it is what it is. If the best moto-google can do is put stock android on hardware that slightly beats the GS3 but at a GS4 price then that's the economics of it.

The fact that they announced on-contract price and kept their mouths shut about off-contract is a bad sign in my opinion. But we'll know more eventually.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

What an epic disappointment, and it has nothing to do with the phone. AT&T exclusivity of certain things? On contract $199 pricing? So what, $599 off contract? Yeah, good luck with that. Most of the people I know that were at all excited about this phone were excited about the possibility of Nexus-4-esque availability and pricing. You done screwed the pooch on that one Google.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Depending on the off-contract price there may be a whole lot of whining. But it is what it is. If the best moto-google can do is put stock android on hardware that slightly beats the GS3 but at a GS4 price then that's the economics of it.

The fact that they announced on-contract price and kept their mouths shut about off-contract is a bad sign in my opinion. But we'll know more eventually.

No way they would price it $299 off contract when they announce it $199 on contract.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

If the off contract price is more than $350, I'll just wait for the HTC One.
If Moto/Google think they can revive their phone business and market share by pricing this thing at $600, off contract, then they are in for a rude awakening.
If it's not priced like a Nexus device and available on all carriers, they might as well roll over and die.
Too much competition from Samsung and HTC to not price this thing competitively.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

No way they would price it $299 off contract when they announce it $199 on contract.
Could still be off-contract only through the moto at a reasonable price? That way the carriers can play dumb on the retail price of the phone.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Look at the previous contract price of the Nexus 4 on T-Mobile (~$200), or even the current price - $442 from the carrier and $299 from playstore.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Personally I really like what Motorola is doing with the X8 chipset, yea it isn't as powerful as a quad core S600 but it has better battery life.....plus you don't need as much horsepower to run a 720p display. Now my only real issue is do I get a Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx or the X Phone. The main advantage I see to the X is that it has less bloatware and a bigger battery than the Ultra to power a slightly smaller display so it will last a little longer.

So to everyone that is in the same situation I'm in, please let me know what you will be getting and why.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Wow. Looks like AT&T even has an exclusive option to customize the wake-up message.

So much bull****.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Personally I really like what Motorola is doing with the X8 chipset, yea it isn't as powerful as a quad core S600 but it has better battery life.....plus you don't need as much horsepower to run a 720p display. Now my only real issue is do I get a Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx or the X Phone. The main advantage I see to the X is that it has less bloatware and a bigger battery than the Ultra to power a slightly smaller display so it will last a little longer.

So to everyone that is in the same situation I'm in, please let me know what you will be getting and why.

For your money, you can do much better. $199 on contract, you can get a better HTC One, Samsung S4, or etc.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

What I keep thinking is that the Droids are the last of the old Motorola and the X is the start of the new Motorola. From what we know so far, I think I'd rather move forward rather than stick with the past, especially since I'll probably have this phone for two years.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I don't know while I think people like us here on this forum look at specs and say no thanks I think there is a huge portion of the population that loves aesthetics and gimmicky software so I bet the customization will pull in a lot of people. There are a lot of people who buy iphones purely because they have the look. At least it would pull people into a more stock android experience. It's a mainstream phone not an enthusiast phone and most people don't even know what ppi is.

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

For your money, you can do much better. $199 on contract, you can get a better HTC One, Samsung S4, or etc.

I don't want to get a HTC One due to a few reasons but mostly the companies dire financial situation. I'd like a device that is supported for a while and I just don't know if the One will have that support or not. I also am not a fan of Sense at all, nor do I want a device only shipping with 4.1 this long after 4.2 and now 4.3 were released. As for the S4, I am very tempted by it but I really hate all of Samsungs crap they toss on their devices. For every 1 useful feature they add, there are countless that just annoy me...so thats why I was really looking forward to the X Phone.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I don't know while I think people like us here on this forum look at specs and say no thanks I think there is a huge portion of the population that loves aesthetics and gimmicky software so I bet the customization will pull in a lot of people. There are a lot of people who buy iphones purely because they have the look. At least it would pull people into a more stock android experience. It's a mainstream phone not an enthusiast phone and most people don't even know what ppi is.

Judging from the comments, and my own personal feelings, some of us are not upset at the specs (which are pretty close to my GS3 which I absolutely love and is quick enough for anything), we're upset that the price point does not MATCH the specs. This phone would be awesome off-contract at $299 and I'd have one ordered the second it was available. I'm not, however, going to spend premium prices for a mid-range phone. Tha'ts what some of us are upset about.

edited to add: I also dislike carrier exclusives. It's not something I expected Google to pull. Also, being on Verizon, I don't hold out any hope for relief through Play Store means.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't want to get a HTC One due to a few reasons but mostly the companies dire financial situation. I'd like a device that is supported for a while and I just don't know if the One will have that support or not. I also am not a fan of Sense at all, nor do I want a device only shipping with 4.1 this long after 4.2 and now 4.3 were released. As for the S4, I am very tempted by it but I really hate all of Samsungs crap they toss on their devices. For every 1 useful feature they add, there are countless that just annoy me...so thats why I was really looking forward to the X Phone.

Both devices have developer editions. You can update to the newest Android 4.x as they come available from Google.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: (the bad) $199 on contract, locked bootloader, customizing *and* 32gb is AT&T only

I'm a bit confused. I've seen about six different headlines (including Forbes) stating a $299 OFF contract starting price.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.