I've got the Moto X, you've got questions ? fire away!

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Phil, I don't see this as much different than the new Droid Ultra, other than a smaller screen. All the other features like the shake-a-cam and voice commands are also in those other three new ones, right?

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
How is voice quality on calls?

Just kidding, nobody talks on their phone anymore. Seriously, though, if you had to buy a brand new phone right now, would it be the Moto X? Also, I'm interested in your impressions on the wood-backed Moto Xs. Do they feel durable? Comparable in weight to the regular plastic-bodied versions?
Motorola has included Crystal Talk and has two noise cancellation microphones for HD voice quality for both you and the recipient. And from what I heard the wood feels great and durable.

Phil, I don't see this as much different than the new Droid Ultra, other than a smaller screen. All the other features like the shake-a-cam and voice commands are also in those other three new ones, right?
There isn't much different, I think a higher ppi, different screen tech I think, dual lte attenas, diff camera ui, and not a droid. But they do share those features yes.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
How does the screen compare to the Galaxy S3 & S4? (I'm curious if its 'Diamond Matrix' or what)
You probably missed it earlier, not sure it really answers the question though. It seems like people are putting the screen quality in between the S3 and the S4:
Originally Posted by Roundpotato said:
How does the screen compare to the Galaxy Nexus? The pentile on mine has always bothered me. I know they said the Moto X isn't pentile, but it's still not RGB apparently. Also how does it compare to the GS4 and One screens?
Phil Nickinson said:
It's not as good as the HTC One. Not sure anything is, though. That said, it hasn't made me want to throw it against the wall. Going back to 720p is a bit of a readjustment, but not the end of the world.

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Phil. I've been using the Galaxy Nexus for almost a year and its performance really bothers me. It seems when i need to it be quick it chugs along slowly. I'd like to know:

1) How snappy it is, and is it consistently responsive. I use Google Now a fair bit, and on my GNEX Google Now seems to take a while to load up.

2). How useful do you find the Active Display, and do you feel it actually helps with performance & battery life.

Speaking of battery life, my GNex will last about 12 hours max with average use. For me, this is 40 minutes of tethering, 2 hours of streaming music, and maybe one hour of total screen on time. A lot of what I use my phone for has the screen being off, but I still feel like battery life is weak.

How is battery life on the Moto X? Can you say with certainty Motorola will hit the promised 24 hour battery life?

I personally hope so, I would prefer not having to carry an extra battery around if possible.

Final question: How responsive is using Google Now always on functionality? I know my Gnex is slow as well, even more so with hotword detection for Google Now. It is a pain trying to launch Google Now too.

PS: I've been going back and forth between buying an S4 and waiting for the Moto X. Although everyone keeps calling the Moto X a midranged device, I am most interested in performance, battery life, and the always on Google Now featuer.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
What I stumped by is not just the carrier exclusive. But the extremely limited launch. Here in Canada, it's Rogers exclusive. Europe won't even see the thing.

The thing was supposed to relaunch Motorola. How is that supposed to happen when they will essentially restrict themselves to North America. Phil did you hear anything at all about other markets? Have they said no to Asia as well?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What I stumped by is not just the carrier exclusive. But the extremely limited launch. Here in Canada, it's Rogers exclusive. Europe won't even see the thing.

The thing was supposed to relaunch Motorola. How is that supposed to happen when they will essentially restrict themselves to North America. Phil did you hear anything at all about other markets? Have they said no to Asia as well?

Apparently executives have indicated that the Moto X is more a brand than a single product, and that they are developing Moto X products for Europe, developing markets, and prepaid customers. I haven't heard anything on Asia. Also, to be fair I believe Motorola said the X was supposed to redefine them, not relaunch (seems like semantics, but "redefine" refers more to showing the direction that the company and its products are going, while "relaunch" is often associated with an immediate financial turn-around). The Moto X vary much is redefining a company known best for its DROID branding, but it will take a while to really turn them around financially.

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed a lot of complaints on pricing of the phone and having been in the business of producing goods to sell, granted a different market. The general rule was the retail price should be 3 times the cost of manufacture. This takes into account many costs that the consumer does not see. Even then you might be on the low side depending on the products and other costs.:-\

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed a lot of complaints on pricing of the phone and having been in the business of producing goods to sell, granted a different market. The general rule was the retail price should be 3 times the cost of manufacture. This takes into account many costs that the consumer does not see. Even then you might be on the low side depending on the products and other costs.:-\

Not in the computer business.
Margins are slim.
Apple works on a 36% gross margin.

Sturm Rider

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Just curious is that to consumers or their retail partners and distributors? That is awful close. I know to our distributors we had a 15% margin our retail partners were closer to 30 - 40%. We obviously preferred retail partners or the actual customer which gave us a much larger margin. Though in our industry we generally had to sell through the distributors or retailers.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Android Central members: If you're not going to read the Android Central writeup of this device, you have no business asking silly questions that have already been plainly answered in the article they put time and effort into creating.

Phil, thanks for the information, well done.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So it costs $551 to make package and ship an iPhone 5?

$205 in parts, + wages/power to run the machines, rent, etc. all the sunk costs of production, shipping costs, regulatory fees, license fees, advertising, general operating costs, research and development (hardware and software), testers, sales commissions, taxes, regulatory withholdings, etc, etc. + expenses for warranty repairs/replacement, technicians, Apple store employees, promotions, tech support, customer service and all other operating expenses...