Moto X Battery Life

hockeydude35

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
After my first day at work. Keeping in mind that my office is a black hole of signal, this is awesome. My GS3 lasted about 3 hours unless I put it in airplane mode. To be able to keep my phone on is amazing. Judging by what's left, I'll be able to carry through, even if I go out after work and forget to use my car charger, or charge any at work. (Yes, I know screen on is small, but I'm working at work, so that's no biggie for me.)

Edit: I did leave wifi (no connection at work though) and bluetooth on, auto brightness.

Based on some of the other results I've been seeing, I'm wondering if you could do even better than this. Android OS is using a pretty high percentage of your battery, it seems. You may want to see if it's doing something odd. That's still a pretty big battery plunge for 13 hours. With that little usage, I'd think you'd still be well above 50%.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Based on some of the other results I've been seeing, I'm wondering if you could do even better than this. Android OS is using a pretty high percentage of your battery, it seems. You may want to see if it's doing something odd. That's still a pretty big battery plunge for 13 hours. With that little usage, I'd think you'd still be well above 50%.

I think signal strength is the worst of it. It bounces back and forth a lot. The X holds better than my GS3, but it still takes a toll. I'll kee digging around in it. But for a 0 effort attempt, this worked out.

Edit: The Android Os percentage drop rapidly once I get back to usnig the phone more often, so the fact that I'm not using it much diring the day adds to the inflated appearance of its use.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think signal strength is the worst of it. It bounces back and forth a lot. The X holds better than my GS3, but it still takes a toll. I'll kee digging around in it. But for a 0 effort attempt, this worked out.

Edit: The Android Os percentage drop rapidly once I get back to usnig the phone more often, so the fact that I'm not using it much diring the day adds to the inflated appearance of its use.

I told someone in another forum my gs3 only last 4-6hrs with use and standby and he told me I was lying. Haha. Glad to see another user that couldn't get any time out of his gs3

Posted via Android Central App

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I told someone in another forum my gs3 only last 4-6hrs with use and standby and he told me I was lying. Haha. Glad to see another user that couldn't get any time out of his gs3

Quite the contrary. Only at my office was my GS3 bad on battery.

Px55wdG.pngOrgLn0N.png

That's the no Wifi shots from my off days.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
5 hours on Wifi
10 hours on LTE.
I could definitely get 5-6 hours of screen on time.

For those who are not experiencing great battery life, you may need to look at the any widgets that are updating in the background. Also, some apps like music streaming will drain the battery even though you are not getting screen on time which may sway numbers a little. I actually have a few widgets running but only update once every 2 hours.

Sent from my Moto X

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378265955313.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378265955313.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378265966636.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378265966636.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 57

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Looking good! Thanks for the post. :) What did your usage look like? What kind of activities were you doing with the screen on?

A few texts and emails. Reading news through Feedly. Reading forum posts through Tapatalk. Some Google Now searches. I have a widget for Mint and Google Now on my home screen.

Sent from my Moto X

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
i browse a lot, chrome is usually always second on my list right under "screen" for battery usage which is why i get about 3 hours-3 and half hours of screen time max. and i have yet to see others with chrome right up their on the list which is why they probably get 5-7 hours of screen time because chrome drains battery.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question and my approach to batteries has always been old school because of the old NiMH days where you did a full discharge and recharge 3 times before you just plug into charge whenever.

Is there a method for newer ion batteries that is optimal if any at all? When my moto gets in next week I'd like to make sure I'm doing all I can to get good battery.

duke1231

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I just bought this phone on monday, and monday night into tuesday, I charged it. This morning when I got up and took my phone off the charger, it said on the screen that battery is refreshed. It didn't say that the first morning. Also, new to Android, and I was wondering how you guys are taking screen shots?

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Did some Chive reading in the morning, but I only do a little bit of Gchatting during the work day since I'm not really allowed to use the phone. Then went on a long bike ride after work, so didn't use the phone much except a text or two. Got home after maybe 14 hours with more than 50% battery and decided to see how fast I could drain the rest of the juice. Started heavily browsing blogs, watched a few HD YouTube vids and scrolled through as many pic heavy websites as I could find. All on LTE, purposely no WiFi. This was the result when I went to bed. The same use would have destroyed my Rezound battery. Actually, it probably would have been dead before I got home.

Oh, and after a 12 minute YouTube video, the phone wasn't even warm to the touch. It was only after I flew through a bunch of pic heavy websites that it warmed up just a tad.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1378295547964.jpg
    1378295547964.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1378295557876.jpg
    1378295557876.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 47

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Did some Chive reading in the morning, but I only do a little bit of Gchatting during the work day since I'm not really allowed to use the phone. Then went on a long bike ride after work, so didn't use the phone much except a text or two. Got home after maybe 14 hours with more than 50% battery and decided to see how fast I could drain the rest of the juice. Started heavily browsing blogs, watched a few HD YouTube vids and scrolled through as many pic heavy websites as I could find. All on LTE, purposely no WiFi. This was the result when I went to bed. The same use would have destroyed my Rezound battery. Actually, it probably would have been dead before I got home.

Oh, and after a 12 minute YouTube video, the phone wasn't even warm to the touch. It was only after I flew through a bunch of pic heavy websites that it warmed up just a tad.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Nice!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Is there a method for newer ion batteries that is optimal if any at all? When my moto gets in next week I'd like to make sure I'm doing all I can to get good battery.
Li-Ion batteries are rated with a number of "charge cycles" which is charging the battery from 0% to 100%. You'll get twice as many cycles if you charge from 50% to 100% and five times as many if you charge from 80% to 100%. The optimum way to use it is to not let it drain any more than you have to. Realistically, just don't drain it all the way on purpose and charge it while you sleep. There's no need to take it off the charger when it gets to 100%, you'll probably extend the life if you do leave it on because that's time where the battery isn't draining and isn't charging, which will minimize the number of charge cycles you use.

People might list a bunch of battery voodoo you "should" do, but most of it will be obsolete advice. Li-Ion battery charging circuits have come a long way in the past 10-15 years.

FWIW, between my wife and I we've had 4 Android phones, have just charged them at night when we sleep and haven't had any battery issues. Considering this phone is designed to use as little battery as possible it's probably easier on batteries than most other smart phones.

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My phone is losing 3 to 4% per hour just sitting. Both wifi and Bluetooth are on but the signal is great for wifi and phone. This seems excessive to me...

Ultrapale

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Stats from yesterday. Total time does not include the 8 hours I had it turned off at work,the on screen time seems to be what I have been averaging.

Attachments

• 1378309788141.jpg
    1378309788141.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 1378309798706.jpg
    1378309798706.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Li-Ion batteries are rated with a number of "charge cycles" which is charging the battery from 0% to 100%. You'll get twice as many cycles if you charge from 50% to 100% and five times as many if you charge from 80% to 100%. The optimum way to use it is to not let it drain any more than you have to. Realistically, just don't drain it all the way on purpose and charge it while you sleep. There's no need to take it off the charger when it gets to 100%, you'll probably extend the life if you do leave it on because that's time where the battery isn't draining and isn't charging, which will minimize the number of charge cycles you use.

People might list a bunch of battery voodoo you "should" do, but most of it will be obsolete advice. Li-Ion battery charging circuits have come a long way in the past 10-15 years.

FWIW, between my wife and I we've had 4 Android phones, have just charged them at night when we sleep and haven't had any battery issues. Considering this phone is designed to use as little battery as possible it's probably easier on batteries than most other smart phones.

Add... Absolutely do not let these things die, especially on purpose.

Nexus. Through spacetime.