Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought this died out... Ok.
Yes the Moto X uses the S4 pro dual core processor. Why? Its more power efficient than the available s600. But on the other hand it uses 2 krait 300's unlike the og s4 pro which used the 200's. The Moto X also uses the same guad-core gpu as the s4 and one. It also has the 2 other cores which take some strain off the cpu and makes it more proficient (And really, no more than 2 cores are used at once on quad-core phones, besides raw not needed power.. 720p screen? Ok I could understand that. But heres the deal. The phones screen is only 4.7", and has a ppi of 316 which is still larger than 300. Yes it won't be as "great" as 1080p but unless its side by side, it's not that big of a deal. 1080p also powers uneeded pixels.
The spec race should end, if oems actually took the time with their software to match the hardware, the world would be better.
And on the topic of over pricing, a reviewer, marques (?) or Arron I forgot which. The Moto X is partly built and assembled in America, so the labor cost is higher, the customizations fees are also included, and there was huge amounts of R&D. Samsung uses cheap plastic, its features are half baked, and is made in china. How is that not overpriced? The specs don't make that much difference in price.

I want to like this post over and over and over.

Posted via Android Central App

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
this my friend is true...

But it IS revolutionary. There is no other phone that works quite like the Moto X.

I think it is Samsung's fault that we are even talking about Specs on a phone.

It only matters who is making the chips and how and then how the software is optimized.

You could have a case where, depending on the chip, a dual core can totally outperform a quad core in every way in every day use.

Maybe it's because I've always had an iPhone, but Apple taught customers to forget about the specs. And to be honest, an iPhone 5 performs just as fast as an octa core whatever.

In terms of cost, using a 2012 chip on a phone, well, the Moto X isn't priced as a flagship. Full retail is $575. That's a lot cheaper than a Galaxy S4 or an HTC ONE.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I thought this died out... Ok.
Yes the Moto X uses the S4 pro dual core processor. Why? Its more power efficient than the available s600. But on the other hand it uses 2 krait 300's unlike the og s4 pro which used the 200's. The Moto X also uses the same guad-core gpu as the s4 and one. It also has the 2 other cores which take some strain off the cpu and makes it more proficient (And really, no more than 2 cores are used at once on quad-core phones, besides raw not needed power.. 720p screen? Ok I could understand that. But heres the deal. The phones screen is only 4.7", and has a ppi of 316 which is still larger than 300. Yes it won't be as "great" as 1080p but unless its side by side, it's not that big of a deal. 1080p also powers uneeded pixels.
The spec race should end, if oems actually took the time with their software to match the hardware, the world would be better.
And on the topic of over pricing, a reviewer, marques (?) or Arron I forgot which. The Moto X is partly built and assembled in America, so the labor cost is higher, the customizations fees are also included, and there was huge amounts of R&D. Samsung uses cheap plastic, its features are half baked, and is made in china. How is that not overpriced? The specs don't make that much difference in price.

tumblr_mf28kdYQJL1rlm565o1_400.jpg

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X has a Qualcomm MSM8960Pro Snapdragon. That came out in February 2012.

So yes. The Moto X has 2012 technology. But who cares is my point.

With both cores being Krait 300's instead of the 200's, like the one from 2012 and the quad core Adreno 320 which wasn't in that one either... It's more accurate to describe it as a dual-core version of the S600 than the 2012 version.

The only things that the 2012 and 2013 version have in common is the number of cores and the original manufacturer that the architecture is based on.

Then, add in the additional processors for dedicated tasks and you have something that didn't exist in 2012. That's different cores, different GPU and extra components for a custom item that was first used in a device in August 2013. The closest thing to it prior to this month, was the S600 which was first released in a device in Spring 2013. No matter how you spin this, it's a 2013 design.

This has been explained at least 40 separate times, in varying degrees of detail, on just these forums, but there are further details available in hundreds of posts on XDA if you need more time to research the distinctions.

Generally I agree that the experience matters much more than the spec sheet, but spreading misinformation about what the specs are does more of a disservice to that discussion.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
With both cores being Krait 300's instead of the 200's, like the one from 2012 and the quad core Adreno 320 which wasn't in that one either... It's more accurate to describe it as a dual-core version of the S600 than the 2012 version.

The only things that the 2012 and 2013 version have in common is the number of cores and the original manufacturer that the architecture is based on.

Then, add in the additional processors for dedicated tasks and you have something that didn't exist in 2012. That's different cores, different GPU and extra components for a custom item that was first used in a device in August 2013. The closest thing to it prior to this month, was the S600 which was first released in a device in Spring 2013. No matter how you spin this, it's a 2013 design.

This has been explained at least 40 separate times, in varying degrees of detail, on just these forums, but there are further details available in hundreds of posts on XDA if you need more time to research the distinctions.

Generally I agree that the experience matters much more than the spec sheet, but spreading misinformation about what the specs are does more of a disservice to that discussion.

I was replying to you saying "there is nothing here from 2012". There's no misinformation.

The chipset is from 2012. Snapdragon MSM8960Pro is from 2012.

It is a "modified" version of 2012 technology.

The only one here spreading misinformation is you. The Moto X DOES HAVE 2012 technology. Be it modified or not.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I think that pretty much everyone knows but there are a few that cant admit it:)
I was replying to you saying "there is nothing here from 2012". There's no misinformation.

The chipset is from 2012. Snapdragon MSM8960Pro is from 2012.

It is a "modified" version of 2012 technology.

The only one here spreading misinformation is you. The Moto X DOES HAVE 2012 technology. Be it modified or not.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So, different cores, both from the 600, different GPU, also from the 600... What's the same?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I think that pretty much everyone knows but there are a few that cant admit it:)

Well. I was just saying because he said there was NOTHING in there from 2012. Then I said MSM8960Pro. Then he says "yes, BUT, they modified it with new chips, so that means it's new"

What? Am I going nuts here?

I think the phone is great from what I can see. And good for them that they could combine the right set of technology to make it happen. Little bit of a solid chipset (2012), and a little bit of new tech. Good for them.

So he said nothing from 2012, then he went on to explain why I was right, but then he said at the end, I was wrong because he typed a lot about adreno this and krait that.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So, different cores, both from the 600, different GPU, also from the 600... What's the same?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

You clearly don't understand what a "chipset" is.

Look. There is nothing wrong with MSM8960Pro being a 2012 chipset on a 2013 phone. If it gets the job done then it doesn't matter.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well. I was just saying because he said there was NOTHING in there from 2012. Then I said MSM8960Pro. Then he says "yes, BUT, they modified it with new chips, so that means it's new"

What? Am I going nuts here?

I think the phone is great from what I can see. And good for them that they could combine the right set of technology to make it happen. Little bit of a solid chipset (2012), and a little bit of new tech. Good for them.

So he said nothing from 2012, then he went on to explain why I was right, but then he said at the end, I was wrong because he typed a lot about adreno this and krait that.

You still haven't told me one thing that is the same. I told you how it's entirely different. Now you're switching to childish insults and twisting my words to say that they're agreeing with you?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You clearly don't understand what a "chipset" is.

Look. There is nothing wrong with MSM8960Pro being a 2012 chipset on a 2013 phone. If it gets the job done then it doesn't matter.

Actually I do understand the architecture fairly well. What you're not explaining is how it's similar other than generic originating design. "Based on", is not the same thing as "exactly the same as". The X8 is not an S4 Pro, it's based on one, with heavy modification.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually I do understand the architecture fairly well. What you're not explaining is how it's similar other than generic originating design. "Based on", is not the same thing as "exactly the same as". The X8 is not an S4 Pro, it's based on one, with heavy modification.

Heheheahahaha.

As he types frantically into his keyboard. Hands and lips shaking.

You just need to educate yourself more. That's it.

Ill explain it to you once and we will leave it there.

Basically Motorola went to Qualcomm and modified a 2012 chipset, the MSM8960Pro by updating the graphics.

Which makes your statement of "there is nothing inside the phone from 2012" totally false.

And that's why the other poster was agreeing.

You also need lessons on reading.

And I can't believe you read off of the Motorola ads and said "X8". Hahaha

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
On the flip side, many of us are Android fans because we never bought into the 'it's the experience' line of crap that they push to sell overpriced junk to sheep. We recognize the phone is a good phone, but fail to recognize the same value in it that you do. Difference of opinions that will never agree, no need to rehash it all over.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Personally I think that most people here prefer Android because we realize that what really matters in a smartphone is what it can do to make your life easier, not because their phone has a larger number on a sheet of paper (which actually in the grand scheme of things actually detracts from the benefit of the phone 1080p only provides negligible clarity yet is a strain on the battery and processors. Quad core processors are completely unused compared to dual core ones yet suck more power)

I've always felt that while the iPhone may be smoother, the gesture keyboards, fully tabbed browsers, notification system, quick navigation shortcuts, direct dial shortcuts, the back button, easy access to settings, and widgets allowed the phone to provide much more benefit to myself as a person and gave me the information I needed much faster and allowed me to get on with my life.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
This thread is going nowhere fast. This is a phone. Let's keep some perspective here.

I don't blame them that they're confused.

Motorola used epic marketing jabber during the unveil. Nobody could understand what the hell the X8 was and their graphics that they used to represent the "X8" were totally false advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.