Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I think you should look up what a chipset is. From Wikipedia:

A chipset is a set of electronic components in an integrated circuit that manage the data flow between the processor, memory and peripherals. It is usually found in the motherboard of a computer. Chipsets are usually designed to work with a specific family of microprocessors. Because it controls communications between the processor and external devices, the chipset plays a crucial role in determining system performance.

Just so we're clear, the chipset doesn't include a CPU or, usually, GPU. There really isn't an equivalent with the ARM architecture, and to say otherwise is just wrong. What we're talking about with the X8 Moto is using a brand new dual-core design. As in, this is the very first family of devices to launch with it. Here, I'll let WIkipedia show you. You tell me where on this table the same qualcomm SoC (again, not a chipset) is used in 2012.

Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your argument of "it's just a redesigned 2012 design" is misleading, and a bit disingenuous, since if you look at CPU design at all you'll realize that it's all derivative of previous architectures and generations. To think that a company can just take a dual-core design and slap a new GPU on it is really making light of the amount of engineering that goes into designing an SoC.

Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I keep using SoC and I haven't actually said what that is, and I'm going to assume that you don't know either, since you keep using chipset. Again, from Wikipedia:

A system on a chip or system on chip (SoC or SOC) is an integrated circuit (IC) that integrates all components of a computer or other electronic system into a single chip. It may contain digital, analog, mixed-signal, and often radio-frequencyfunctions?all on a single chip substrate. A typical application is in the area of embedded systems.

A typical SoC consists of:

These blocks are connected by either a proprietary or industry-standard bus such as the AMBA bus from ARM Holdings. DMA controllers route data directly between external interfaces and memory, bypassing the processor core and thereby increasing the data throughput of the SoC.

Now do you understand what the difference between a chipset and SoC are? Good, back to the point I was making. SoC's aren't modular. You can't pick and choose what works together. Qualcomm took two Krait 300 cores (same cores as in the S600 which is found in the One and S4) and mated them with the Adreno 320 GPU. So, this is a brand new dual core design as far as SoC's go for Qualcomm. That point can't be argued. Last year's dual core Snapdragon had Krait 200 cores and the Adreno 225 GPU. The GPU is much slower in last year's SoC, and the CPU cores are also less efficient and also slower.

We honestly don't know all that much about the custom processors that Moto is using for the contextual stuff. We can assume that they're some sort of DSP, and if you know anything about DSP's they are even more specific to the task they're designed to perform than ARM chips, which makes them even more efficient at doing what they do.

Go ahead and install Open Mic+ and see what happens to your battery life. Keeping the CPU alive just to listen for voice commands is extremely inefficient. That's what these special processors do. Offload these relatively mundane tasks so that the CPU can focus on more demanding things.

You just wasted a long time copying and pasting nonsense.

Here. Ill make it easy for you.

Go part by part and tell me there is NO 2012 technology inside this phone. That's what your friend said.

Ill give you a link since you like to Google things.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola+Moto+X+Teardown/16867/2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I could have gotten the modified cpu in 2012?

Posted via Android Central App

You couldn't find any of it prior to this summer. Even if we focus on only the chip set, its still custom firmware, etc to link to proprietary moto engineered processors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You just wasted a long time copying and pasting nonsense.

Here. Ill make it easy for you.

Go part by part and tell me there is NO 2012 technology inside this phone. That's what your friend said.

Ill give you a link since you like to Google things.

Motorola Moto X Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

No, I just set the record straight on the X8 not being 2012 tech. Which is what you kept insisting was from 2012. I never stated nothing else was from 2012. You fail to understand exactly what it was I was doing.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
No, I just set the record straight on the X8 not being 2012 tech. Which is what you kept insisting was from 2012. I never stated nothing else was from 2012. You fail to understand exactly what it was I was doing.

X8 is just marketing boloney.

Go to the link I provides so you can actually SEE what's inside that phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Step 9 on that link describes all 3 processors, 8 cores and those together are called the X8 computing system. Is mustang a ford marketing term?

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Step 9 on that link describes all 3 processors, 8 cores and those together are called the X8 computing system. Is mustang a ford marketing term?

Of course they are. That's what Motorola calls it.

Now that you got your X8, did you actually READ all the parts? Are you still saying there is nothing there from 2012?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I've already looked at it. Still going to go on about the SoC being from 2012, or have you now moved on since you were proven wrong?

@nothingistrue: probably not worth continuing this discussion. Even when proven wrong people can't admit it. Credibility is lost, and so is my desire to continue with this line of discussion.

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do people still argue about specs? Do you NOT get the bigger picture ?!

Look at the iPhone. Its been "lagging behind in specs' since forever right? Yet look how it operates to the end-user. Its flawless. It doesn't stutter, it just works perfectly. Now when someone who isn't tech savy goes to look for a phone, they see an iPhone that doesnt hiccup at all and then a GS4 whose ALL-MIGHT SPECS still lag like its 2005. Samsung doesn't optimize its OS at all clearly. Doing simple **** like opening contacts LAG. Who wants that?! What person that goes to a store would want this after 2 minutes of playing with it they see that it just does not operate right? No body.

Sure the GS4 is capable of more, but to the general person does it matter? Absolutely not! This is why iPhone is where it is. This is what Google is trying to accomplish here. Optimized specs for Google's software. Yes, its not the S800 quad-core 2.6GHZ with 5 gb of ram. So freakin' what?! The phone works! That Samcrap lag is gone! And on top of it, you get the benefits of an Android which is a more capable OS then iOS.

People really need to stop ********.

Apple does well because of how they appeal to people, emotionally.

Imagine a car commercial. It talks about things like this; this car goes 0-60 in 4.6 seconds (what are they doing, appealing to drive by shooters?)

Then, some of them appeal to your emotions, your ego. Luxury cars tend to appeal to emotion and status...and that is why they sell so well. They don't need to tell you how big the wheels are, the engine, the leather....but the overall experience is fantastic, and they appeal to your emotional side, you want to see people believe you are what the car represents.

Android, it has specs.....I have an HTC, but most people who see a phone don't ever say, how fast is your processor. They say, that phone looks slick, your speakers are so loud I love them, your phone is thin.....that is how Android will need to appeal to people, then of course, is the UI.....a flawless melding.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Since you brought it up, the brand new Mustang is clearly the same as a 69 Mustang. Same name, and one is derived from the other. :p

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Nope. Again you show your lack of knowledge. Just like your friend who has to quote super long definitions of SoC and Chipsets.

X8 is a marketing term to refer to what's inside the phone. It's a name like "Octa Core". Doesn't mean crap.

I'm not talking about the total sum of all the parts. I'm talking about your friend's comment that there is NO 2012 technology in there. But I've said that about 100 times.

Go through the phone part by part and tell me if there is no 2012 tech in there.

As I said; it is NOT true.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's also worth noting, then, that plastic being used as an exterior material on an electronic device dates back prior to 2012. So, I guess there's also that.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Again you show your lack of knowledge. Just like your friend who has to quote super long definitions of SoC and Chipsets.

X8 is a marketing term to refer to what's inside the phone. It's a name like "Octa Core". Doesn't mean crap.

I'm not talking about the total sum of all the parts. I'm talking about your friend's comment that there is NO 2012 technology in there. But I've said that about 100 times.

Go through the phone part by part and tell me if there is no 2012 tech in there.

As I said; it is NOT true.

Actually, it was ME that did all of that, so that you could be educated on the difference between a chipset and SoC, since without a basic fundamental knowledge of what you're discussing it's impossible to have a productive conversation. Yes, X8 is a marketing term. I never said it wasn't. So what? They also never called it octa-core. So what? I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Since you brought it up, the brand new Mustang is clearly the same as a 69 Mustang. Same name, and one is derived from the other. :p

No but if you but a 2013 Corolla you're getting a car with some of the same components they were using 10 years ago.

And that's what we are talking about.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it was ME that did all of that, so that you could be educated on the difference between a chipset and SoC, since without a basic fundamental knowledge of what you're discussing it's impossible to have a productive conversation. Yes, X8 is a marketing term. I never said it wasn't. So what? They also never called it octa-core. So what? I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make.

1) nobody needs an explanation of SoC and chipsets. Maybe you do, well you don't know either. You just google stuff. Congrats for being able to use google.

2) really? You want me to explain again?

Ok. Here we go captain slow.

Your friend said "there is no 2012 technology in the Moto X". I said that's not true. Last thing I did was send you people a link with all the parts of the phone so you could see. Chip by chip what's inside that phone.

Now you tell me there's no 2012 technology in there so that we can all know you REALLY have no clue what you're talking about.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
No but if you but a 2013 Corolla you're getting a car with some of the same components they were using 10 years ago.

And that's what we are talking about.

No, that's what YOU'RE talking about. I'm talking specifically about the SoC and accompanying contextual processors. I never made mention of any other components, that was someone else.

You decided to focus on the processor, and were wrong, which is why I joined the discussion. To set things straight about the processor itself. Which you still haven't acknowledged that you were wrong about.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
1) nobody needs an explanation of SoC and chipsets. Maybe you do, well you don't know either. You just google stuff. Congrats for being able to use google.

2) really? You want me to explain again?

Ok. Here we go captain slow.

Your friend said "there is no 2012 technology in the Moto X". I said that's not true. Last thing I did was send you people a link with all the parts of the phone so you could see. Chip by chip what's inside that phone.

Now you tell me there's no 2012 technology in there so that we can all know you REALLY have no clue what you're talking about.

You might want to view this thread in a browser before you start insulting me.

Also, look up some of the stuff I've written on the blog. And some stickied threads in the General News and Discussion thread. Heck, go ahead and ask Jerry if I know what I'm talking about with SoC's. Trust me, I know my stuff, and have nothing but 100% credibility when it comes to SoC's. I quoted from Wikipedia so you wouldn't have to just take my word for it.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
No, that's what YOU'RE talking about. I'm talking specifically about the SoC and accompanying contextual processors. I never made mention of any other components, that was someone else.

You decided to focus on the processor, and were wrong, which is why I joined the discussion. To set things straight about the processor itself. Which you still haven't acknowledged that you were wrong about.

Are you talking about the Snapdragon S4 pro?

I already said, this is a 2012 processor that Motorola modified and is marketing it as an X8.

My point to your friend was that while I will concede this has been modified, it is really the same dual core 1.7ghz from last year. Modified yes, but this you can't denied. Thus saying there is no 2012 technology is false.

At its most basic it is still last year's S4 Pro 1.7ghz, but re-engineered and made "better".

As I said before, Motorola is taking right from Apple and concentrated on the graphics.

Get out of Google and LOOK at the parts of the phone.

Notice how your friend only saw where it said "X8" because he can't understand anything on the left side. All those pictures have him confused.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The discussion was over when you decided you had to result to snide insults when no one bought your arguments no matter how narrowly they were based.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about the Snapdragon S4 pro?

I already said, this is a 2012 processor that Motorola modified and is marketing it as an X8.

My point to your friend was that while I will concede this has been modified, it is really the same dual core 1.7ghz from last year. Modified yes, but this you can't denied. Thus saying there is no 2012 technology is false.

At its most basic it is still last year's S4 Pro 1.7ghz, but re-engineered and made "better".

As I said before, Motorola is taking right from Apple and concentrated on the graphics.

Get out of Google and LOOK at the parts of the phone.

Notice how your friend only saw where it said "X8" because he can't understand anything on the left side. All those pictures have him confused.

Last year's dual-core ran at a max speed of 1.5ghz. Your facts are wrong, and so are your conclusions about the processor. This processor, the actual part number, did not exist last year. Since you want to be very specific, the Krait 300 core also didn't exist last year. It debuted with the Snapdragon 600 this year at CES, and launched primarily with the One and S4. The Adreno 320 did exist last year, in the S4 Pro with Krait 200 cores. But it's impossible to separate the two parts from the whole and say one part is old and one part is new. The parts don't work like that, and are not independent of one another. Even a difference in clockspeed means that extra engineering went into the product before release.

While I get what you're saying with it being "basically the same" that's also fundamentally wrong at an engineering level with regards to the architectural improvements and engineering that went into making the dual-core work with the Adreno 320. This isn't an S600 with two cores "turned off". It's a brand new dual-core part from Qualcomm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred