Rant about SPECS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Srsly. That s?t only matters if you?re in some sort of agro meathead spec race war, which is completely stupid. If your S4 doesn?t run as well on its quad core, and putting a dual core + whatever the heck else they?re doing makes the X run smooth, go ahead and lust after the G2 cuz it?s is now more agro than your laggy-arse S4 and you can?t bear the thought of using a dual core. Who cares.

What are these people doing? taking their big-arse plasticy-feeling laggy phone out at parties and bragging that's it's got the latest hardware which is actually no longer the latest cuz the G2 came out? wha??? that is just beyond lame. seriously, beyond. I think that?s what they?re actually doing, I really do. lol. Meanwhile we have the S4's at my company and people can't wait to get rid of them.

My, as you put it, "laggy-arse" S4 doesn't lagg that I notice but that doesn't mean others haven't had an entirely different experience. My "big-arse plastic-feeling phone" seems just fine to me and I've accepted the lower quality build materials since I keep it in a case anyways. I'm happy with my phone, but being an adult, I don't take it out with hopes of impressing others with it. It's just a phone and it's 2013. Where I frequent phones are no longer considered impressive, no matter how they look or what specs they have. Cars? Houses? Now, that's another matter. This won't stop me from seriously considering a Note 3 though.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is a mid-tier device sold at a very high price.
But only if you look at certain specs. Try running continuous voice recognition on any other mid-tier phone and see how long the battery lasts. So far the Moto X has been getting as good, if not better, battery life than most other top end phones and that's with continuous voice activation on. It's a hardware improvement they've made that doesn't have an easily quantifiable number associated with it. People are calling it "user experience" but it's really a hardware improvement they've made in an area that doesn't have a standardized benchmark associated with it.

You just wait. Eventually they'll take their manufacturing to Chinese slaves and will be giving the Moto X away for fee under contract and $200 bucks unlocked, when they don't sell any.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't work in electronics manufacturing. Final assembly in the US isn't horribly expensive. It's the parts and PCB manufacturing and assembly that's expensive. They're almost certainly getting that done in China. $200 worth of final assembly costs would be 10 hours at $20/hour (that's a $41k/year salary). It probably takes on the order of minutes to get it assembled in Texas by someone getting paid less than that so it's more like it costs $10 to assemble here and the fallout is probably way lower. My guess is they're making that up several times over in the lower resolution screen and limited internal storage. Those are two things that many people don't really care that much about. There are a lot of people out there who care more about battery life.

It seems like the target for this phone is people who want these extra features that phones can offer while idle, a better battery life and don't really care about using their phone as a media/gaming device. That seems like a significant market to me.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok then make the X in China and sell it for 300.00 That is a good price for a mid-range phone like the X. Motorola will make a killing.
Wow. You guys really don't read

Here we go again

It costs the same not because of the phone but because it is manufactured in the USA while the S4 is made by slaves.

Ok?

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
But only if you look at certain specs. Try running continuous voice recognition on any other mid-tier phone and see how long the battery lasts. So far the Moto X has been getting as good, if not better, battery life than most other top end phones and that's with continuous voice activation on. It's a hardware improvement they've made that doesn't have an easily quantifiable number associated with it. People are calling it "user experience" but it's really a hardware improvement they've made in an area that doesn't have a standardized benchmark associated with it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you don't work in electronics manufacturing. Final assembly in the US isn't horribly expensive. It's the parts and PCB manufacturing and assembly that's expensive. They're almost certainly getting that done in China. $200 worth of final assembly costs would be 10 hours at $20/hour (that's a $41k/year salary). It probably takes on the order of minutes to get it assembled in Texas by someone getting paid less than that so it's more like it costs $10 to assemble here and the fallout is probably way lower. My guess is they're making that up several times over in the lower resolution screen and limited internal storage. Those are two things that many people don't really care that much about. There are a lot of people out there who care more about battery life.

It seems like the target for this phone is people who want these extra features that phones can offer while idle, a better battery life and don't really care about using their phone as a media/gaming device. That seems like a significant market to me.

Gaming is awesome on this device ..it does not get hot also ..it is just awesome in handling everything you throw at it ..you should use before commenting on how it perfoms

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
By your logic, every 2013 phone has 2012 technology - just "marginally" upgraded. And that's fine. But if you want to dismiss the Moto X for "2012" technology, the all other "2013" phones must be dismissed as well.

You can't get over the "S4 Pro". You can't get over Adreno 225 vs. Adreno 320. Figured I'd bring the Krait 200 vs. Krait 300 into the discussion again (it was already discussed).

Exactly the problem. With this false logic, the S4, One and G2 are 2012 devices and 2013 doesn't exist except for tegra 4 devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5, GS4 and Moto X all cost about the same to make, but that's because the Moto X is built in the USA. If it was built in a Foxconn sweatshop like the other 2 it would cost about $100 bucks to make or less.

The BOM doesn't include labor, r&d or marketing, etc. Margins are already slimmer on the moto x because the much higher sunk costs are spread over fewer units.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Gaming is awesome on this device ..it does not get hot also ..it is just awesome in handling everything you throw at it ..you should use before commenting on how it perfoms

Where did I say otherwise? The Moto X "only" has a 16GB internal storage option, so you're limited in the number of high end games you can have on it at one time. The screen is lower resolution as well. Someone who really cared about gaming would require more internal storage and would want a higher resolution screen. That doesn't mean you can't play games on it, just that people who buy a phone to play games look at specifications that the Moto X was not designed to excel at.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Where did I say otherwise? The Moto X "only" has a 16GB internal storage option, so you're limited in the number of high end games you can have on it at one time. The screen is lower resolution as well. Someone who really cared about gaming would require more internal storage and would want a higher resolution screen. That doesn't mean you can't play games on it, just that people who buy a phone to play games look at specifications that the Moto X was not designed to excel at.

Sure anyone who looks at specs and Benchmarks will realize that moto x does better than s4 and HTC one in graphics department ..could be because of moto optimizations along with 720p display ..and of course any gamer will want his phone last longer which x does ..

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, I LOVE this thread.

On the one hand, you have two educated users using proven statistics and well researched facts to support their arguments.

On the other, you have a user repeating himself incessantly, while not actually providing any information to support his or her blind ignorance.

"I'm right because I'm right."

"I already told you I'm right."

"I'll repeat myself again in case you're being paid by Motorola, but I'm right. Like I said before."

So. Much. Win.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

On the one hand, you have two educated users using proven statistics and well researched facts to support their arguments.

On the other, you have a user repeating himself incessantly, while not actually providing any information to support his or her blind ignorance.

"I'll repeat myself again in case you're being paid by Motorola, but I'm right. Like I said before."

So. Much. Win.

The sad thing is even though this device is awesome Motorola really failed on the screen and camera (screen is outdated and camera has bad quality)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't have much to add as most people have covered the bases here.

I will say this, Tegra 4 isn't 2013 tech, either, since clearly the A15 reference core from ARM is just a derivative of A9. Never mind the complete redesign and rebuild of the entire processing pipeline from start to finish, or the smaller manufacturing process, or the support they added in for various standards that are floating around out there.

Oh, and the 2014 M5 doesn't share the same drive train as the 2012. Completely different. It changed in 2013. But that doesn't matter, since it's derivative of the tech found in 2012. I don't even know why they updated it at all.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

So. Much. Win.

The prove is in their own posts.

1) They said the phone is running on Adreno 320

2) then they said the phone doesn't have ANY 2012 technology.

Hahahaha ha. Don't you see how stupid that is? Do you want me to give you a list of phones last year with Adreno 320?

HTC Droid DNA
Nexus 4
Optimus G

Should I continue?

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is even though this device is awesome Motorola really failed on the screen and camera (screen is outdated and camera has bad quality)

I will give you the camera issue, and there really is no excuse although I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but there are more tradeoffs leading to a detrimental experience than there are benefits to having 720p on a 4.7" screen. The 1080p makes sense on phones the size of the G Pro, Note 2 or larger because then the pixel density actually matters, but not on the smaller screen.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I will give you the camera issue, and there really is no excuse although I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but there are more tradeoffs leading to a detrimental experience than there are benefits to having 720p on a 4.7" screen. The 1080p makes sense on phones the size of the G Pro, Note 2 or larger because then the pixel density actually matters, but not on the smaller screen.

True, but personally the only reason I didn't jump for this phone is the screen. Is it nice? Of course it is. But it's certainly not up to the standards of the HTC one and Galaxy s4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87