Got my Moto X in, short review

MHT90

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Day 2 with the moto X

So i fixed my mistake, I guess I didnt have the google now setup never hit the "Yes, im in" button. Now the location access does work great.

I have to mention too that the iphone doesn't have the user set up this extra step, kinda frustrating but not a huge deal breaker by any means. Also I am using the Beta iOS 7 so my siri is a little different.

The camera im really enjoying over my iphone 5, not better than my s4 like I mentioned but here are some pics. I was getting gas and thought I would take some comparison shots. These are non processed pics, well other than me covering my license plate number. All pics are HDR mode.

Iphone 5:
9617806701_8581a0a8c1_o.jpg

MOTO X:
9621043524_ee709c537f_o.jpg

Brighter and less grainy, LOVE IT!

I thought this was a pretty cool pic from the moto X aswell. zoomed in at 4X HDR mode too, pretty slick
9617805745_af35f40a63_o.jpg

My speeds for the mobile hotspot improved too, had att replace the sim and now im getting 25 mbps down. YAY!

I gotta say, this is not a bad phone at all!

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Exactly.

Process for the iPhone:
- Push specific screen-on button.
- Tap and swipe specific camera app icon.
- Tap specific shutter button.

Process for Moto X:
- Michael J. Fox your phone a bit.
- Tap anywhere on the screen.

I mean, come on. You can do it with your eyes closed if you want.

I'm a little surprised the Moto X wouldn't be faster, there are a couple things that are a bit easier on the iPhone than what you described. It's more like
- Push power or home button (home button is probably faster to find coming out of your pocket)
- Swipe up from the bottom of the lock screen. You don't need to find a specific icon or unlock first.
- Tap the onscreen shutter or volume button.

It wouldn't make a big difference speed wise, but depending on how they tested it it could have shaved off some time.

ied0135

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

Process for the iPhone:
- Push specific screen-on button.
- Tap and swipe specific camera app icon.
- Tap specific shutter button.

Process for Moto X:
- Michael J. Fox your phone a bit.
- Tap anywhere on the screen.

I mean, come on. You can do it with your eyes closed if you want.

Oh so wrong, but feels oh so right....

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little surprised the Moto X wouldn't be faster, there are a couple things that are a bit easier on the iPhone than what you described. It's more like
- Push power or home button (home button is probably faster to find coming out of your pocket)
- Swipe up from the bottom of the lock screen. You don't need to find a specific icon or unlock first.
- Tap the onscreen shutter or volume button.

It wouldn't make a big difference speed wise, but depending on how they tested it it could have shaved off some time.
That's basically how my S4 works, too. I can hit the power button while I'm taking it out of my pocket then all I have to do is swipe right to left and my camera is up. I'll agree that either way the process for opening the camera on the Moto X seems less prone to error. One wrong swipe or if you miss the power button and your time for opening the camera on the iPhone 5 or S4 is shot.

I haven't watched the video, but logically the Moto X could be (but I doubt it is) that much slower in actually opening up the camera app or responding to the shake. That seems to be a variable that many people are ignoring.

I also think that when people put down the camera on the Moto X it's because they're comparing it to the newest flagship phones. It will likely be better than most phones people are upgrading from.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I also think that when people put down the camera on the Moto X it's because they're comparing it to the newest flagship phones. It will likely be better than most phones people are upgrading from.
That pretty much goes without saying, but Motorola isn't competing with two-year old devices.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
That pretty much goes without saying, but Motorola isn't competing with two-year old devices.
Sure they are, it's happened in this tread already:

Take any more pics? I want to get this phone so bad but the camera is looking like a deal breaker. It doesn't have to be the best camera. Buy it can't be a total piece of junk camera or be a downgrade from my GNex camera.
Reviewers haven't been super happy with the camera, and that gets translated to "junk" when people regurgitate it on forums, so people are getting the impression that the camera is terrible by all cell phone standards, not just by current, top of the line cell phone standards.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
When you go to the store, let me know if you see the Galaxy Nexus sitting next to the Moto X on the shelf, both being sold at $199 on contract.

These companies aren't at it to compete with two-year old devices; they're competing with the best of what is available right now.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
That's basically how my S4 works, too. I can hit the power button while I'm taking it out of my pocket then all I have to do is swipe right to left and my camera is up. I'll agree that either way the process for opening the camera on the Moto X seems less prone to error. One wrong swipe or if you miss the power button and your time for opening the camera on the iPhone 5 or S4 is shot.

I haven't watched the video, but logically the Moto X could be (but I doubt it is) that much slower in actually opening up the camera app or responding to the shake. That seems to be a variable that many people are ignoring.

In the video they actually stated that what really held the S4 back from being competitive was that the software took to long to get the camera up and running.

They didn't have any issues with the Moto X.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
In the video they actually stated that what really held the S4 back from being competitive was that the software took to long to get the camera up and running.

They didn't have any issues with the Moto X.

I couldn't help doing a quick test on my S4 when I first saw the thread, and I was a little surprised how long it took the camera to load after swiping to the side. Granted, my T-Mobile S4 is still missing the most recent software update but there's a noticeable pause. I remember it taking a bit of time for the camera to queue up on my Nexus 4, but it definitely felt more significant on the S4.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
In the end I think this phone is going to be okay. Just have to get used to it.
Hope this was helpful, ask any questions!

Don't know if someone else asked this but can you get an audible notification when say a txt comes in or you set a reminder for something like 'go to store'? I would think JB has that. My Rezound with ICS does. Also nice short review !