Camera focus problems (and macro mode disabled even for third-party camera apps??)

niremetal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm just got a Moto X (AT&T). I'm a dermatologist and take lots of pictures of skin with my phone. Obviously, being able to properly focus the camera is important, specifically being able to do macro focus (basically, focusing on really, really close objects). The stock app on this phone doesn't have a Macro option, but that's not surprising - on my last Droid, I just downloaded Camera360, which has a Macro mode and it worked fine.

But when I installed Camera360 on the Moto X, the Macro focus mode was not available in the focus options like it was on my last phone. The auto-focus is terrible on close-up pictures.

Has anyone found an app for Moto X that includes a workable macro mode? Or any tips on how to use it to focus on close-up objects? Is this something that might be addressed in a future firmware update? (Or should I not hold my breath).

Sadly, I might have to return this otherwise-awesome phone if I can't figure out a way to do this...

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You don't need a macro mode. Just enable touch to focus and it should shoot close up shots just fine. The Galaxy S4 doesn't have an official macro mode either.

-Sent from my Droid Mini.-

niremetal

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You don't need a macro mode. Just enable touch to focus and it should shoot close up shots just fine. The Galaxy S4 doesn't have an official macro mode either.

Tried that...the focusing is really, really off on close-up photos. Everything is very blurred, regardless of whether you use touch-to-focus or auto-focus.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would suspect a macro will be among the upgrades to the camera that the Moto X Product Manager has mentioned on G+ Hopefully those improvements will not be too long in coming

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm just got a Moto X (AT&T). I'm a dermatologist and take lots of pictures of skin with my phone. Obviously, being able to properly focus the camera is important, specifically being able to do macro focus (basically, focusing on really, really close objects). The stock app on this phone doesn't have a Macro option, but that's not surprising - on my last Droid, I just downloaded Camera360, which has a Macro mode and it worked fine.

But when I installed Camera360 on the Moto X, the Macro focus mode was not available in the focus options like it was on my last phone. The auto-focus is terrible on close-up pictures.

Has anyone found an app for Moto X that includes a workable macro mode? Or any tips on how to use it to focus on close-up objects? Is this something that might be addressed in a future firmware update? (Or should I not hold my breath).

Sadly, I might have to return this otherwise-awesome phone if I can't figure out a way to do this...

I noticed that as well in the store. but then was surprised at how much i was able to do *without* macro in terms of how much imagine information i could acquire when i was as close as it would allow me to focus, but i was still surprised no macro. Even though i'm skeptical of updates that will effect colors, i can see them putting a macro option here.But does anyone know if the lens is a capable of it so that adding it could be an option?

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Paisley!

You must of spent a long time in the store fidgeting with that phone! Time to pawn some belongings so we can get you one of your very own! ;)

Posted via Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Paisley!

You must of spent a long time in the store fidgeting with that phone! Time to pawn some belongings so we can get you one of your very own! ;)

Posted via Android Central App

Twas sprint that was taking their sweet time, not I. lol. Ordered mine yesterday morning! Will be delivered tuesday says UPS tracking. *no rain, no rain*

Matt Hayduk

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue and its really really annoying. What's worse is that in macro mode it focuses perfectly for a split second then goes out of focus! I even paid the 3.99 for FV-5 app and the same things happen there. sometimes after getting it to focus 15 times I'll get one thats better than the others but still not sharp. There is an obvious issue with the phones camera, while looking for resolution to this I have come across several other complaints and not only in macro mode. One person said they did a side by side with another HTC One and the other phone took perfectly clear pictures, the advice was to exchange the phone, good luck with that, unless your in the initial 30 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty