09-22-2013 07:28 PM
30 12
tools
    I loved it on my galaxy S. I am wondering if:
    1. Is it a battery drain on moto x?
    2. What button would you use to dismiss and open lock screen - can you use a volume button?
    09-18-2013 10:09 AM
    I dont understand why you need this when you already have this feature on the Moto X
    09-18-2013 10:35 AM
    I'm not sure why you would use NoLED on the Moto X, when you already have a better implementation of notifications via Active Notifications, that is designed to produce minimal battery drain.
    09-18-2013 10:35 AM
    I'm not sure why you would use NoLED on the Moto X, when you already have a better implementation of notifications via Active Notifications, that is designed to produce minimal battery drain.
    Because I want to be able to glance at the phone and see everything pending in an instant. I would rather not wait for however long the active notification pulses to on state to see (like if the phone is on a table and I just glance at it periodically). I assume you can't change the active notification on/off rate? I couldn't find it in menus.
    09-18-2013 11:02 AM
    I think someone stated a while back that the on/off cycle is 2 seconds on and 6 seconds off.
    09-18-2013 11:12 AM
    I think someone stated a while back that the on/off cycle is 2 seconds on and 6 seconds off.
    Looks about right. I just checked it. Also, you can just tap your phone at any time to bring them up if 6 seconds is too long to wait.
    09-18-2013 11:19 AM
    That's one minor complaint I have about active notifications as well.. I'd rather it stay on the screen and bounce around (if burn in is thought to be an issue) like NoLed. I want to glance at my phone to see if there is anything going on, not stare at it for 6 seconds or tap it to check. Really defeats the purpose, but I still dig the phone. It's by no means a deal breaker.
    09-18-2013 01:21 PM
    Same here. "At a glance" is the key. Active notifications doesn't do that. I'm curious about noLED....

Posted via Android Central App
    09-18-2013 01:27 PM
    That's one minor complaint I have about active notifications as well.. I'd rather it stay on the screen and bounce around (if burn in is thought to be an issue) like NoLed. I want to glance at my phone to see if there is anything going on, not stare at it for 6 seconds or tap it to check. Really defeats the purpose, but I still dig the phone. It's by no means a deal breaker.
    I would prefer if Active Notifications would allow us to set the blink interval - that would suit my needs extremely well. Would be great to set it at 3/3 instead of 2/6.
    Paisley likes this.
    09-18-2013 01:36 PM
    I would prefer if Active Notifications would allow us to set the blink interval - that would suit my needs extremely well. Would be great to set it at 3/3 instead of 2/6.
    That's a really good idea. Tapping it to show up doesn't seem to work for me. I leave it face down most of the time anyway so its just flip it and look set it down. I have time for that so its a non issue for me. 3/3 would be nice though.

Posted via my MotoX
    Paisley likes this.
    09-18-2013 01:39 PM
    That's a really good idea. Tapping it to show up doesn't seem to work for me. I leave it face down most of the time anyway so its just flip it and look set it down. I have time for that so its a non issue for me. 3/3 would be nice though.

Posted via my MotoX
    try nudging it, seems to work for me.
    09-18-2013 01:59 PM
    try nudging it, seems to work for me.
    Yep. Nudging the phone or picking up the phone causes the notification(s) to appear for me.

I don't understand why anyone would want NoLED
    09-18-2013 02:37 PM
    Still don't understand why people can't wait 6 seconds. 6 freaking seconds... smh

Posted from my brand new, super slim, gorgeous red Droid Ultra
    09-18-2013 03:24 PM
    Still don't understand why people can't wait 6 seconds. 6 freaking seconds... smh

Because in 6 seconds you can pick up the phone, unlock it and check for notifications. The whole idea is that it's faster than doing all of that. If it's slower than just checking manually then it's not a horribly useful feature.
    09-18-2013 04:02 PM
    Yep. Nudging the phone or picking up the phone causes the notification(s) to appear for me.

I don't understand why anyone would want NoLED
    A lot of times when i'm at my computer i've already gotten used to the bre...um...what do i call it...when the clock comes on lol. so when it comes on i'm not really looking at it, but with an LED it catches your attention.
    09-18-2013 08:10 PM
    Because in 6 seconds you can pick up the phone, unlock it and check for notifications. The whole idea is that it's faster than doing all of that. If it's slower than just checking manually then it's not a horribly useful feature.
    If it's not a horribly useful feature then explain why 99% of people who have the X, Ultra and Maxx say it's one if the two or three best features and that they never want another phone without it.
    If you're in a situation where you can't wait six seconds to see if you have a notification, then you probably shouldn't be using your phone anyway

09-18-2013 10:15 PM
    A lot of times when i'm at my computer i've already gotten used to the bre...um...what do i call it...when the clock comes on lol. so when it comes on i'm not really looking at it, but with an LED it catches your attention.
    If the clock is coming on without you interacting with the phone then you have a notification. It's not just gonna breathe if there isn't a notification. So any time it breathes then it should get your attention. If not then you're doing something wrong

09-18-2013 10:21 PM
    If it's not a horribly useful feature then explain why 99% of people who have the X, Ultra and Maxx say it's one if the two or three best features and that they never want another phone without it.
    If you're in a situation where you can't wait six seconds to see if you have a notification, then you probably shouldn't be using your phone anyway

Lol, why you feel the need to berate another person's preference is beyond me..

defensive much..
    09-19-2013 08:33 AM
    If the clock is coming on without you interacting with the phone then you have a notification. It's not just gonna breathe if there isn't a notification. So any time it breathes then it should get your attention. If not then you're doing something wrong

oh man, got it. It must have been just coming on because of movement for some reason or another. that's so funny. .

I get what you guys are saying about wanting faster rate though, Im with *you* its a certain type of feeling that something *might* be on the phone.
    09-19-2013 10:05 AM
    I've not used NoLED, but a buddy does. The difference I see is noLED shows all notifications at once. Active Notifications just seems to pick a random one.

Is there a way to switch? Let's say I have a Facebook notification and a SMS and an email one. The Facebook one is the only one I can tap on. Is there a way for me to tap on the other ones it lists below it? That's the one issue I am having with Active Notifications. It's totally awesome when you have a single notification, but less helpful when you have multiple ones.
    09-19-2013 10:12 AM
    I've not used NoLED, but a buddy does. The difference I see is noLED shows all notifications at once. Active Notifications just seems to pick a random one.

Is there a way to switch? Let's say I have a Facebook notification and a SMS and an email one. The Facebook one is the only one I can tap on. Is there a way for me to tap on the other ones it lists below it? That's the one issue I am having with Active Notifications. It's totally awesome when you have a single notification, but less helpful when you have multiple ones.
    In you example the Facebook notification came after the SMS and email. Only the most recent notification is selectable on the Active Notifications screen.

I'm hoping they update the functionality of this in a future update.
    09-19-2013 10:39 AM
    In you example the Facebook notification came after the SMS and email. Only the most recent notification is selectable on the Active Notifications screen.

I'm hoping they update the functionality of this in a future update.
    Yeah, I hope they do. It's a killer feature, it really is. Maybe if you have multiple ones the swipe right just clears the top one...
    09-19-2013 10:48 AM
    You can still do all of this anyway. You don't have to wait for Active Notifications to give you permission.

But in a perfect world your screen would just always display your notifications, right? Or you could at least set it to rapid-fire and have a techno party in a dark room.

I get that some people are distressed by this "problem," but I don't understand why it's so hard to just pick up your phone and do whatever it is you need to do that can't wait 6 seconds.
    09-19-2013 11:00 AM
    6 seconds is too long if the phone is lying face up on a table and you walk by. With a real LED a simple glance is enough to see if you have a notification or alert.

The lack of real LED joins lack of external sdcard and lack of user replaceable battery as reasons the X probably won't be what I replace my ageing Atrix2 with. Too bad because I really hate the size of the alternatives.
    Paisley likes this.
    09-19-2013 11:09 AM
    6 seconds is too long if the phone is lying face up on a table and you walk by. With a real LED a simple glance is enough to see if you have a notification or alert.

The lack of real LED joins lack of external sdcard and lack of user replaceable battery as reasons the X probably won't be what I replace my ageing Atrix2 with. Too bad because I really hate the size of the alternatives.
    The Galaxy S4 Mini would seem to fit the bill for you quite well! I used to think the same way, but for my needs I've realized that replaceable battery isn't as high on my list. Moving my stuff to the cloud has alleviated the need for an external SD card (although I think 32GB is still the minimum for me) and Active Notifications is a good replacement for a LED.

Hopefully you find a device that works for you. For me, the size of the Moto X and the near stock Android experience were the prime drivers!
    roadkizzle likes this.
    09-19-2013 11:24 AM
30 12