Picked up the 5s today.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
After seeing photos for myself, I agree with the OP that the Moto X camera isn't that great compared to the 5s, but...

If Camera was the main reason for the iPhone being a daily driver you have other options.

HTC One, S4, Note 3, G2, Upcoming Nexus 5.

Now that being stated, are you telling me you passed up Touchless Controls, Bigger Screen, Longer Battery Life, because you wanted better Selfies?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Now that being stated, are you telling me you passed up Touchless Controls, Bigger Screen, Longer Battery Life, because you wanted better Selfies?

...and actual photographs using the rear camera.

That being said, though, if you really place that much importance on a good camera in a phone, you might as well buy a real camera. And not necessarily a DSLR either; most point-and-shoots probably take better pictures than the iPhone 5S.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I calculated the screen space of the Moto X when the buttons are subtracted, based on the number of pixels taken up by the buttons (just to double-check, I also physically measured it with a ruler). It would have a 4.57" screen. That's 32.8% more total area than the iPhone.

I came out slightly different with the pixel count. I had 1280-62=1217 pixels high, which is 95.16% of the total height "available", giving us a 3.9^2x2.3^2=4.53^2 inch device which has an area of 8.98", which is 31.37% larger than an iPhone 5s. Is the 62 pixel height wrong?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess the point is, no matter what you're getting at least 30, and up to 38% more screen area with a 4.7" device, regardless of whether the buttons are on screen or not.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
...and actual photographs using the rear camera.

That being said, though, if you really place that much importance on a good camera in a phone, you might as well buy a real camera. And not necessarily a DSLR either; most point-and-shoots probably take better pictures than the iPhone 5S.

I have seen many selfies done in the mirror using the rear camera like this one.

Aaron-Hernandez-Glock-Gun-Selfie.jpg

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Avoidance. Quickest way to proclaim ignorance. Just to be clear, are you stating that the usable screen space on the Moto X is 20% greater than the iPhone? Do you have a reference for that figure?

I calculate about 5% larger diagonal (10% total area) with the Moto X, comparing usable screen space, of course.

Calling me ingnorant... Could you really be so stupid to think the the diffrance betweem 4 inch screen and 4.7 is 10% ?
Dont you have a calculator on your iphone 5?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I came out slightly different with the pixel count. I had 1280-62=1217 pixels high, which is 95.16% of the total height "available", giving us a 3.9^2x2.3^2=4.53^2 inch device which has an area of 8.98", which is 31.37% larger than an iPhone 5s. Is the 62 pixel height wrong?

Oops, I thought I measured 48 pixels. Never mind. But nevertheless, you're right; the screen space taken up by the on-screen buttons is relatively negligible.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
That has to do with ATT's implementation of LTE, all the phones do it on their network including my S4.
The iPhone won't. It's an iPhone hardware limitation. The S4, Moto X, HTC One, LG G2 and countless others can do simultaneous LTE and Voice on every network.

The iPhone cannot and has never been able to do simultaneous voice + LTE on any network.

The iPhone can do simultaneous Voice + HSPA on AT&T, which AT&T claims is 4G, but it is NOT LTE.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You realize, with the button bar on the Moto X, the usable screen space is pretty much identical...right?

Try again there, slick.

he5ajusa.jpg

Sent from my Moto X...or S4...or iPhone (but probably not)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non