"Rom"-ability and Mod-ability

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
This phone looks awesome, but looking over at XDA, I can hardly find any Roms made for the Verizon Moto X. There are some for the Developer Edition Verizon model, but for the regular variant, hardly anything. Has this been a problem for you lucky Moto X owners?

Posted via Android Central App

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm just trying to wrap my head around an android phone that you can't really modify with Roms. :)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Moto X software + Optimization + Root + Xposed Framework + MotoXspeed = Why do you need ROMS?
It'll get the usuall cyanogen and some other ones. I never understood the need to have a billion mostly the same. I think theres a rom that the moto x has over PA, Cyanagen, and another rom all in one, thats great.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
You CAN modify it. The bootloader can be unlocked on several carriers and there's safestrap for the locked ones. There's little need for anything but root though. Moto got so much just right about this phone.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
You CAN modify it. The bootloader can be unlocked on several carriers and there's safestrap for the locked ones. There's little need for anything but root though. Moto got so much just right about this phone.

I understand the liking of being unlocked, mainly for the carrier, its your phone do what you want. But I just fine Safestrap SO MUCH better. (mainly switching between foms, easy of backup and restore, interface, ect).

andino

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The stock rom is already pretty good. With MotoXposed and adding the cm mms.apk and gmail.apk to get quick reply a mark as read from the pull down, I got what I needed most from using a different rom so that was all I needed. The phone is pretty snappy stock so with just root to modify some things, it pretty much good to go.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
All right, You people are making all these terms and acronyms up, aren't you? Safestrap. Cm mms.apk. Is there some website that you go to and get them, or do you just eat Alphabits for breakfast and whatever word ends up on your spoon that morning is the tech word of the day? :) I'm mostly interested in being allowed to delete crap-apps like NFL Mobile and some of the Verizon bloat that take up my measly 16gig so I can use it for something useful. The actual rom is fine - Moto did a great job on this phone and while I learned to live with Touchwiz and Sense, I prefer the cleaner Moto X.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just trying to wrap my head around an android phone that you can't really modify with Roms. :)

Why try so hard?
Get on over to some Nexus forum and talk ROMs with them. Most people who have this phone are happy enough that they aren't desperate to change it.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
To me, the whole point of the Moto X is all of the custom stuff utilizing the X8. To toss a custom ROM on the device eliminates those optimizations and it's just not worth doing, at least not in my book. There are better devices for less money you could buy to play with. That's hard for me to type because I'm a flashing fool.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Or (and I know this is crazy talk) you could always build your own ROM instead of waiting around for someone else to do it.

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Did I say I was DEMANDING more ROM support? I was simply inquiring the community if this was a problem for them, is there really any need to snap? People.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Did I say I was DEMANDING more ROM support? I was simply inquiring the community if this was a problem for them, is there really any need to snap? People.

ignore comments that have offended u... moto X is pure android experience, at the same time it has not sold well enough to get developer support.

so support for custom rom is less.. having said all that, most people go to custom rom either to get the latest android or for pure Android which moto X already is.

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
ignore comments that have offended u... moto X is pure android experience, at the same time it has not sold well enough to get developer support.

so support for custom rom is less.. having said all that, most people go to custom rom either to get the latest android or for pure Android which moto X already is.

Only concern with this is when Motorola inevitably stops supporting this device, we won't have any Roms to keep it fresh.