Good for Android Newbie?

jridgers

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
My elderly mother wants a new smartphone (coming from the iPhone 3GS) and she's not happy with Apple any more (for whatever reason) and wants an Android device. She saw the Moto X at her local AT&T store and likes how it feels in her hand and the nicer screen (compared with her old phone).

She's concerned that she won't be able to take full advantage of the device because she doesn't have a gmail account or use any of Google's services. I told her she'll have to create a gmail account for settings and account level stuff but she could setup the email app with her Yahoo account. She also prefers Bing search over Google - I wasn't sure if that was changeable or not. I cannot help her in person because I'm several states away and use an iPhone, but want to make sure she gets something she'll be able to use - easily.

Would she be able to, easily, use a Moto X (or other Android device) without using Google services or is it so baked in that it would just be easier to switch her over to all Google? Is it an easy interface for a senior citizen to be able to navigate (she's in her mid-60s and is okay with touchscreens and apps)? I told her that the salesperson can show her how to do things too.

Any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is probably one of the best Android phones for a newbie. It's easy to hold, has dynamic notifications, touchless controls, and good battery life. And Moto put a stock-like version of Android on the device, which means it's UI is minimal and easy to use. Once she's signed up to Gmail, she'll have access to Google services (don't have to use them all).

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My elderly mother wants a new smartphone (coming from the iPhone 3GS) and she's not happy with Apple any more (for whatever reason) and wants an Android device. She saw the Moto X at her local AT&T store and likes how it feels in her hand and the nicer screen (compared with her old phone).

She's concerned that she won't be able to take full advantage of the device because she doesn't have a gmail account or use any of Google's services. I told her she'll have to create a gmail account for settings and account level stuff but she could setup the email app with her Yahoo account. She also prefers Bing search over Google - I wasn't sure if that was changeable or not. I cannot help her in person because I'm several states away and use an iPhone, but want to make sure she gets something she'll be able to use - easily.

Would she be able to, easily, use a Moto X (or other Android device) without using Google services or is it so baked in that it would just be easier to switch her over to all Google? Is it an easy interface for a senior citizen to be able to navigate (she's in her mid-60s and is okay with touchscreens and apps)? I told her that the salesperson can show her how to do things too.

Any help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If she uses Yahoo email and likes Bing better, I'm almost tempted to say she may be happier with Windows phone, provided the apps she likes to use are available on that platform.

However, I think the Moto X is a great device for an Android newbie and would be my first recommendation for someone wanting to switch from iPhone to Android. You are correct that she will have to set up a Google Account to get the phone up and running, but she doesn't really need to use Google services after that. I'd argue that, even for someone who uses none of Google's other services, there is a lot of value in setting up Google+ and enabling auto upload for your photos. You get unlimited storage, they upload to a private folder, automatically get edited and enhanced, and automatically get turned into short, easy to share videos. You can use Yahoo email on Android, they have an app or you can use the native email client. There is a Bing app as well. You will not be able to change the default, baked in search to Bing (for obvious reasons), but throw a Bing shortcut or widget on the home screen and you are good to go. The interface (particularly settings) is a little more complex than iOS but I think she could probably figure it out. AT&T (I'm assuming based on the 3GS) has pretty decent tutorials on their website for all their phones too that give you step by step instructions for how to do different things as well.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Set her up for the yahoo email to pull directly into a new Gmail account. She will never have to tell anyone to change her email and will be able to use Gmail client which is better than stock mail.
She may get to prefer Google over Bing I'd she uses it.
The X has good tutorials baked into phone and the Moto care app would be excellent for her to get help.
The X would be a great phone for your grandma. Especially if you set her Gmail account up and have it linked to the phone before it's shipped to her.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
if she is noob. you create a gmail account and give it to her.

ask her to login. open play store and download yahoo mail. there also bing app on playstore

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I am day two coming from an iPhone 4s.
The biggest difference in using she might see is the app drawer vs home screen. I like it so much better but it is different than from on the iPhone.
Simpler to all programs vs desktop on a PC.
If she has been using the iPhone that long this jump won't be too big.

Posted via Android Central App