Explain to a foreigner what's so great about the Moto X?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It was a Motorola Photon. I guess it had 4G, but it didn't have very good 4G reception, and I always left that off.
Turning off 4G LTE and staying on 3G is a huge battery saver.

But my guess is it is mostly screen-time that chews up my battery. I tend to have the phone on a lot during the day for one thing or another.
The Photon is a 4.3 inch qHD screen (960 x 540) vs. Moto X 4.7 inch 720p screen (1280 x 720). The larger Moto X screen with more pixels is going to use more battery.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Only if he's browsing. I don't notice any difference in battery drain when I'm on HSPA+ as opposed to LTE
I assumed that someone would be using data. However, even if you are not using data, if you are where the signal is not strong and the phone has to switch back and forth between 3G and 4G LTE, which sounds like that was the case, it uses a lot of battery. I know, I live in a not so great 4G LTE area and the back and forth between 3G and 4G LTE drains my battery.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to start off, I freaking love my Moto X.

Active Notifications is awesome. I'm not going to go in depth because the first replier hit it right on the head. Its a lot more useful and efficient than an LED light. Being pretty much stock android, the size (I can't have my phone too big) is great. I believe that the 4.7 screen is my sweet spot. Even the Nexus 5 seems just a tad too big for me. I personally didn't customize my Moto X. Just got the black edition. It doesn't bother me so much though. Customizing is probably lowers the resell value. But, I don't plan on getting rid of this phone for a while now.

Its an awesome phone.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Just an add on about how the Active Notifications are awesome. I really didn't think it would be as useful as it really is. Sure, you don't need it. But goodness is it a good little feature. I don't use touch less controls all too much, but when I do it performs great.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mention yet, is Motorola Connect. Are there 3rd party apps out there that do the same thing, and that's why it's not a big deal? Does it not work as well as advertised? I completely forgot about this feature when ordering mine, and I'm pretty excited to be able to do that too.

I think the only people who would find that useful are those who have desk jobs where they aren't supposed to be using their phones at work. If you have a job like that, then I think it would be great unless your employer monitors what you are doing on their computer.

I work at home quite a bit, and I do like the feature - except when someone calls my Google Voice number ... I end up getting 2 notifications for the same call (Hangouts + Motorola Connect) Hehe.

I wish it were true, in my world, that SMS was replaced by IM. Not even close. :(

Sent from my moto x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I use touchless controls all the time! I use it when I drive home to text my wife. Yes... This thing will text by voice. I love that feature!

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X DE

imthekingbk

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion Motorola has nailed building an awesome experience by enhancing stock android rather than trying to replace it like other OEMs do. It really is an awesome device.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion Motorola has nailed building an awesome experience by enhancing stock android rather than trying to replace it like other OEMs do. It really is an awesome device.

I am oh so very happy that they decided to stick with stock android. In my opinion, its the best android experience.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Android OEMs have been in a (hardware) spec race since the beginning.

With the Moto X, Motorola has essentially gone against the status quo.

You don't need the highest of the high-end of specs to have a great Android experience. That way of thinking hasn't caught on with the average Android fan.

The Moto X is built on Motorola's new software strategy, based on these three tenets.

1. Ensure that we build on a foundation of pure Android

MotoBlur’s long gone. Expect the user interface on all new Motorola Android devices to look and feel like “stock” Android - not far off from a Nexus or a Google Play edition device. Motorola doesn’t want to take over the Android interface.

2. Build experiences that compliment Android and Google services, not compete with them.

You won’t see Moto Voice (S Voice) or Moto Translator (S Translator) or a Motorola App Store on a Motorola Android device. No need to double up on the excellent services that Google has already built.

And like Google releasing their apps in the Play Store, Motorola is doing the same so updates to features like the camera won’t require a full system update.

3. Ensure that we can build software that gives value back to the user.

Motorola is answering the needs of users and building solutions that matter. Motorola Assist builds on Motorola’s experience with their previous Smart Actions application. With Motorola Assist, your phone can get out of the way during something important (meetings) or when you need your quiet time (sleep). And on devices like the Moto X, it can detect when you’re driving to send automatic replies while you focus on the road.

Smartphones should be secured but most people find PIN locks cumbersome. Unlocking a locked phone is probably most done activity on a smartphone. With Trusted Bluetooth, anytime your phone is connected to a Bluetooth device you list as trusted, there is no need to lock your phone. And if the connection is lost, your phone gets locked automatically.

As a fan of Android, I like what Motorola’s doing. They’ve made these three tenets their differentiating factor compared to the rest of the market and that’s a great thing - very fitting for a Google company. Motorola will not rely on hardware to give user's a great Android experience. They're in it for the whole package.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I like what they are doing too but I wish they would build in trusted WiFi along with the trusted Bluetooth. Would be much more helpful.

Posted via Android Central App