Is going from the Nexus 5 to the Moto X considered a "downgrade"?

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have the cherry look like the one I posted above? Someone told me it looks too close to pink rather than red.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
With the impending Monday sale, I've decided to pull the trigger. Will be "downgrading" or "sidegrading" or "upgrading" depending on people's points of view. I think I'll be happier with the Moto X functions in the end than I am with the N5. I'm guessing that most former N5 and current MX owners feel the same. Going to get this carrier unlocked so hopefully no branding and no bloatware.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Going to get this carrier unlocked so hopefully no branding and no bloatware.

I've got the Developer Edition so I have no direct experience with this, but I believe the AT&T version is carrier locked and contains some AT&T bloatware even if you buy it off contract, and that only the Developer Edition and the T-Mobile version are carrier unlocked and free of carrier bloatware.

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Developer Edition so I have no direct experience with this, but I believe the AT&T version is carrier locked even if you buy it off contract, and that only the Developer Edition and the T-Mobile version are carrier unlocked and free of carrier bloatware.

So if I get the unlocked with T Mobile Sim I should be OK?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So if I get the unlocked with T Mobile Sim I should be OK?

The GSM Unlocked does come with a T Mobile sim installed, that is the one I got. There are no carrier brand markings on the device and no installed bloatware. Using it on AT&T and it works perfectly on their network.

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
The GSM Unlocked does come with a T Mobile sim installed, that is the one I got. There are no carrier brand markings on the device and no installed bloatware. Using it on AT&T and it works perfectly on their network.

This is perfect for me. Just the kind of phone I like. Maybe that means firmware updates before the carrier versions too?

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Just switched from from a G2 and I'm really loving this phone I don't think it was a downgrade at all. They have their pros and con's but I switched to the moto for the smaller foot print and I really like the active notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Is switching between a Note 3 and Moto X considered a downgrade. I'm getting sick of TouchWiz..
I had both for awhile and while I loved the gorgeous screen of the Note 3, the Moto X beat it repeatedly in speed tests especially where the signal was not strong, S-Voice was not as accurate as Moto X always listening/touchless controls, the GNote3 had lag and the Moto X doesn't and the GNote3 doesn't have Motorola Assist which automatically senses when I am driving and reads my texts to me!

I also prefer the stock android+ experience on the Moto X more than Touchwiz. And I got the Moto X Dev Ed so I can unlock my bootloader. Supposedly Samsung is releasing a Verizon GNote3 Dev Ed, but it has been out of stock since Thanksgiving.

I didn't find myself using the S-pen. The battery life on the GNote3 was awesome, but it is a huge device so it was cumbersome at times whereas the Moto X is an ergonomic dream!

I sent my GNote3 back. I did like it alot, though; it is just that the Moto X makes a better daily driver for me.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I traded in my Nexus 5 for a Moto X just yesterday. I lost LTE support (I'm in Singapore, so the US Moto X's bands doesn't work), lost the larger 1080p screen, lost the Snapdragon 800 processor, and lost wireless charging, but the Moto X still feels like an upgrade to me. Battery life for one is much better on the X, and that alone weighs in a lot. That plus touchless controls, active display, Motorola Assist, Motorola connect, trusted bluetooth, and a bunch of other add-ons makes the Moto X more useful for me. It literally changed the way I use a smartphone.

Personally I would have gotten a black front, woven black back, and silver accents Moto X. Basically boring, understated, conservative look. Or what i call the utilitarian look. (Hint: I'm not exactly the adventurous type) But the Moto X i bought was pre-owned, and customised by the previous owner. White front, woven black back, and metallic blue accents. And I like the look a lot too (obviously, if not I wouldn't have gotten it). :D

IMG_4929.JPG

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I had both for awhile and while I loved the gorgeous screen of the Note 3, the Moto X beat it repeatedly in speed tests especially where the signal was not strong, S-Voice was not as accurate as Moto X always listening/touchless controls, the GNote3 had lag and the Moto X doesn't and the GNote3 doesn't have Motorola Assist which automatically senses when I am driving and reads my texts to me!

I also prefer the stock android+ experience on the Moto X more than Touchwiz. And I got the Moto X Dev Ed so I can unlock my bootloader. Supposedly Samsung is releasing a Verizon GNote3 Dev Ed, but it has been out of stock since Thanksgiving.

I didn't find myself using the S-pen. The battery life on the GNote3 was awesome, but it is a huge device so it was cumbersome at times whereas the Moto X is an ergonomic dream!

I sent my GNote3 back. I did like it alot, though; it is just that the Moto X makes a better daily driver for me.

That's why I'm thinking of switching I hardly use the S-Pen and I have trouble with S-Voice as well. I'll probably end up with a Dev. Edition too. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
How is that not a deal breaker for you? It would be a deal breaker for me.

Because i'm not you? Lol. We all have different wants and needs from a mobile device, different use case, different priorities. I don't use anything data intensive that requires fast data. I don't stream HD videos, and I don't browse a lot on the move. HSPA+ speeds are more than enough for me on the move. At work or at home, i use wifi.

The speeds I'm getting are more than sufficient for my needs.
14 - 1.png

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I traded in my Nexus 5 for a Moto X just yesterday. I lost LTE support (I'm in Singapore, so the US Moto X's bands doesn't work),
What band is used in Singapore for LTE? The Canadian Rogers wireless Moto X has 2600MHz LTE enabled from what I read on XDA. I also read on XDA that the ATT version has the hardware to support 2600MHz LTE band but the OS has it disabled.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
yeah, that download speed is comparable to the Verizon 4G LTE download speed I get where I live. The upload speed, though, beats the Verizon 4G LTE upload speeds I get by a lot.

My carrier does use 1800 and 2600 bands, but only in certain parts of the country can i get 2600. But I'm running the stock att OS, so likely it has been disabled. On phones that are fully compatible with my carrier's LTE bands, I have seen upwards or 30mbps down in the same location where I tested the Moto X. But nonetheless, the speeds i have been getting is more than sufficient for my needs. :)

reddyd

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Here's a comparison that may or may not help....
I bought a Moto X, had it for 3 weeks and returned for a Nexus 5, don't regret the decision.
Now my wife is going to get a Moto X, I am encouraging here.

So here is my list:
Nexus 5 pro's:
1. Much better camera
- maybe I had a Moto X with a bum camera, will find out after my wife gets her's
- Camera is noticeably better than iPhone 4S (which I thought was pretty good)
2. Much better standby battery life (example at night, with phone on)
- Unless you are playing with screen / online a lot the standby battery life helps
- Best I got with Moto X was 0.5% per hour), Nexus 5 seems to run about 0.2% per hour
3. 20-40% lower battery usage when playing music
4. Nexus 5 let's you choose 3G if you like
- Moto X only lets you choose 2G or automatic (no 3G only)
- My office has bad reception, so 4G sucks battery
- With Nexus 5, I keep it in 3G
- With Moto X, I had to choose 2G and switch to automatic when leaving work
- This really annoyed me (especially the nerd side of me.... maybe you can relate, may you cannot

Moto X pro's:
1. Much better display
- Colors are better
- Genrally more pleasing to look at
2. Way better loud-speaker and better speaker for phone
- More bass, fuller sounding
- Headphone sound quality is the same in both
3. So much more comfortable to hold and easy to use with one hand
- Only slightly smaller, but the curves make it much easier to handle
- I am not a big guy and hands are not big, so this matters more
- Although, after about a month I am getting used to the nexus
4. I loved the fact that, you pull the phone out of your pocket and swipe
- No need to push any buttons to unlock the phone
- Somehow this really helps, expecially when you are answering the phone in the car and want to keep your eyes on the road
5. You are walking by the phone and want to check the time, you just tap the phone... and there you are
- Loved this

So, basically the Moto X is wayyy Coool!!! My wife is going to get the Walnut back, which is goin to make it even cooler.
But the Nexus 5 has staying power and lot of Nerd points.

With the current Valentines day promotion.... price is comparable, so that is out of the way (although I never considered that).
I am waiting for the next revision of the Moto X, then I will definitely switch back.

So there you go.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
4. Nexus 5 let's you choose 3G if you like
- Moto X only lets you choose 2G or automatic (no 3G only)
- My office has bad reception, so 4G sucks battery
- With Nexus 5, I keep it in 3G
- With Moto X, I had to choose 2G and switch to automatic when leaving work
- This really annoyed me (especially the nerd side of me.... maybe you can relate, may you cannot
go.

FYI you can force 3g on moto x. Use the app LTE OnOff and it takes you to a menu where you can force 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7

reddyd

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
FYI you can force 3g on moto x. Use the app LTE OnOff and it takes you to a menu where you can force 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Not on a T-Mobile/Dev version. I think you might be able to on the AT&T version.
I checked. You can get to the same menu from settings too (or using 'power toggles')...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo