Moto X: Battery issues

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I really feel like there is a bug with Android that causes battery drain after coming off the charger. I have had absolutely no battery problems at all since I started restarting my phone AFTER removing it from the charger each time.

edit: And I don't do anything else to save battery. Location mode is High Accuracy, always on 4G, and don't restrict any kind of background data.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I really feel like there is a bug with Android that causes battery drain after coming off the charger. I have had absolutely no battery problems at all since I started restarting my phone AFTER removing it from the charger each time.

edit: And I don't do anything else to save battery. Location mode is High Accuracy, always on 4G, and don't restrict any kind of background data.

Part of that is the fact that batteries trickle charge full then slowly discharge on down to around 95%, then trickle charge back up again. But, your device still displays 100%. I.E. it's a display "issue". Someone takes their device off the charger @ 100% displayed power when it's really 95% or 96%, plays with it for 5 or 10 minutes, sees where it's at 92% and freak out then going on wild goose chases looking for solutions to issues that don't really exist.

It isn't a bug, it's just how mobile devices report battery. In my opinion, 80% of battery issues aren't real, 19% are due to crappy apps and poor device setup, and the remaining handful really are weird anomalies.

No device is going to run perfect all the time. I've had a time or two where Motorola services have been updated via Google Play and the next battery cycle was wonky. A day or two later, things were back to normal.

Just food for thought.

Posted via Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
A good example is earlier tonight I charged my MX and took it off the charger @ 100% and didn't touch it. 2.5 hours later it was @ 99%. An hour later it was at 96%, perfect sleep as well. Nothing is "wrong" with it. It was just most likely at 98 or 99% to begin with and it took it a few hours to figure out exactly where it was at.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
A good example is earlier tonight I charged my MX and took it off the charger @ 100% and didn't touch it. 2.5 hours later it was @ 99%. An hour later it was at 96%, perfect sleep as well. Nothing is "wrong" with it. It was just most likely at 98 or 99% to begin with and it took it a few hours to figure out exactly where it was at.
100% agree about the initial % going down faster based on if the battery is really at 100% or 95% and displaying 100%. But there is definitely something causing Andoird OS to eat battery for people. And all I know on my end is that when I reboot my phone it stops or prevents the problem for me. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone or there are different issues for different people. People discus this all over the place all the time, so I give my input on what I do and what has worked for me. When a lot of the people are ones who had no problem on 4.4 or 4.2.2 but get considerably less battery life with 4.4.2... then it is a bug.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just think it's difficult to blame the phone. Another example is my current business trip. I'm in the middle of no where Mississippi stuck on 3G alternating between 1 and 2 bars. Even on Wifi in the hotel, my battery life is abysmal. I went from 100% to almost 50% in like 8.5 hours with an hour and a half screen on. The device doesn't sleep as well as it normally does, and of course, it's warm to the touch. No bug required, it's merely network quality, and I don't just mean network strength. I'm on the cusp of LTE coverage coming from somewhere near here and I've seen the phone swap over to it briefly a few different times.

I still say the haptic feedback/vibrate bug is still alive and well in Android, Touchless controls and Voice Commands are tied into "Android OS", and that a lot of people live in poor quality areas in regards to network and they don't even know it. Just more food for thought.

The only obvious bug I've seen has been using Touchless Controls to search for something and having "Google Search" hang and prevent deep sleep. Force stopping it fixed it. It's been several months since I've had an issue with it.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't blame the phone, I blame the OS. I have good service in my area and I am in the same place at the same time throughout my work day. Yesterday, without doing my reboot in the morning after charging I was down 17% in 4 hours with 3 minutes screen on time. My usual day(with a reboot) has me down around 20% in 8-10 hours with 30-45 minutes screen on time. And I know the reboot doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I just know something more is going on, wish I had the knowledge to figure out exactly what it is.

roces9

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I just think it's difficult to blame the phone. Another example is my current business trip. I'm in the middle of no where Mississippi stuck on 3G alternating between 1 and 2 bars. Even on Wifi in the hotel, my battery life is abysmal. I went from 100% to almost 50% in like 8.5 hours with an hour and a half screen on. The device doesn't sleep as well as it normally does, and of course, it's warm to the touch. No bug required, it's merely network quality, and I don't just mean network strength.

I get this problem on car trips, and never thought about network signal strength.

With a very unscientific approach of changing a whole bunch of things and then waiting to see if they all together fixed my problem, my battery life has returned to my "normal" range, and I have no idea why. I probably just needed to restart it and change a few of the buried settings. I had AT&T Wifi Hotspot, and a few other useless things turned on that I disabled. Android OS no longer drains 50% of my full charge, and the phone has more sleep and uses less battery overnight.

Thanks for the help!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I get this problem on car trips, and never thought about network !
With tower hand off and signal strength always changing, it's bound to happen. I stream a lot of content on the road, and its quite the cocktail for turning a device into an energy hog. :p

Just earlier today I was on 3G with 1 bar running at 1x speeds when I tried to stream TuneIn as I unknowingly was receiving an MMS. Poor data caused the app to freeze, which locked up the device with more lag than my GNex ever had.... for about 20 seconds. That's an app issue facilitated by a clogged network with issues that would make most normal people think their device just sucked.

I don't blame the phone, I blame the OS. I have good service in my area and I am in the same place at the same time throughout my work day. Yesterday, without doing my reboot in the morning after charging I was down 17% in 4 hours with 3 minutes screen on time. My usual day(with a reboot) has me down around 20% in 8-10 hours with 30-45 minutes screen on time. And I know the reboot doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I just know something more is going on, wish I had the knowledge to figure out exactly what it is.

But during those crazy drains if you tap on settings, battery, history details, is your device sleeping when the screen is off or is it going nuts? You're right, it's daunting to figure out. For me, I've discovered that turning off haptic feedback, limiting my location to GPS only, turning location reporting/history off and setting apps/widgets to manual refresh eliminates the vast majority of battery drain/sleep problems. If I need those services, I turn them on and use them. Sometimes my battery seems unchanged, sometimes it drains more. However, I prefer consistent battery life over google's location based services, so I'm fine with that decision.

As we all know everything needs to be rebooted at some point. Earlier today my laptop had its cpu revved up for no reason and needed it's first reboot in a few weeks to fix it. Needing it everyday certainly is odd. In the past when I've done the steps I outlined in the other thread I linked to, and still had a pattern of issues, a factory reset has fixed it. I've needed to do that once, and it was on CM Nightlies as a flash-a-holic. Basically the device would not fall into deep sleep and extremely high battery drain after shutting everything off. It was very odd. Since I eliminated settings as being a cause, and apps (Froze then all in bulk) as being a cause, a factory reset was a no brainer.

But I made that call after more than just a day or two. I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but the last Google Play update (for the new Boot Animation) left me with higher than normal battery drain and partial wake locks from Motorola Services... for about a day, day and a half. Then it settled out. If I had wiped everything, or fretted over it, I would have been wasting time and energy.

Again, I'm not trying to elude that's the case for people with problems in this thread. I don't believe that at all. I just think it's worth mentioning in the discussion for everyone's benefit. :)

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep during the drain days the phone likes to come awake a bunch of short times even when the phone hasn't been touched. It might not do it everyday if I quit rebooting, but the rebooting for me seems to keep the drain away. Preventative measure for me that only takes a few seconds. I have haptic feedback off. Other than that I don't bother disabling anything else really. I can go 30+ hours with 3-4 Hours SOT normally.

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to charge my phone fully and unplug it and let it idle all night and see if their is any thing in the background running

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to charge my phone fully and unplug it and let it idle all night and see if their is any thing in the background running

Let us know how it goes then.
What kind of hours were you getting ? Screen time?

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I usually see about 8-12 hours battery with 2 hours screen time.

This is about a usual day for me.
Screenshot_2014-04-02-18-17-14.png

Screenshot_2014-04-02-18-17-19.png

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
But what do your battery History details look like? It'd be good to see how much awake time you have. I would venture a guess that it's a lot, and that the main culprit is the battery monitor in your status bar. If you have a widget to go with it, then that's not helping either. Those things are polling your battery life on a frequent basis unless they are set to either manual refresh or to only update when the screen is on (and if they are coded well to begin with). All that said, Waze is a SERIOUS battery hog. I use it too because it's a great app, but it's brutal on battery life, even with the screen off.

Attached is what my phone normally does. Now, this is mostly untouched over night, but it's how, in my opinion, a Moto X's battery should act when your device is set up to allow the thing to sleep properly. I came in from out of town last night and unplugged my phone from the car charger, walked in, waited for my fiance to come over. We watched a movie, hung out for a bit then I ended up falling asleep on the couch before waking up, piddling around then setting my alarm and taking the first screen shot before falling asleep on the couch again. :p Yes, AndroidOS is "high". Something has to be high. When you aren't using a device, AndroidOS, WiFi, Phone Idle, I mean, something has to account for battery usage. It doesn't mean that it's broken.

If anything, I'm a little disappointed that I had three segments of Awake time with the Screen Off. This disappointment is utterly unfounded and ridiculous. But this is what I'm saying, I'm a H-U-G-E battery prostitute. I want my devices to sip power when not in use and last a loooong time. At the same time, most things don't freak me out. I guess I've played the battery life song and dance for a while now and I think I finally have my head wrapped around it.

Pay less attention to the first two shots where the device is trying to figure out where it's really at in the charge, and more attention to the last two.

Screenshot_2014-04-04-23-14-28.pngScreenshot_2014-04-05-00-18-39.pngScreenshot_2014-04-05-06-43-03.pngScreenshot_2014-04-05-06-43-07.png

Last edited:

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Ya I normally don't use any battery apps but lately been trying to figure out what's up with my battery. But I think I'm chasing something that's not their.
So I turned on a system monitor last night and unplugged it and let it idle all night.

Screenshot_2014-04-05-08-20-31.png

Screenshot_2014-04-05-08-21-07.png

jp719

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
okay so lately I have been having horrible standby time. I have no clue what is causing it. I have deleted suspected apps & nothing has worked. I've done factory resets, my location services is set on battery saving. can some just please help me.

vu9upa3a.jpg
bega3ahu.jpg
gebe8y2u.jpg
u4upybyg.jpg
qameju9y.jpg
a4ehema7.jpg
na5yjuma.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think thats pretty good battery life still. But ya something's definetly working in the background. You did a factory reset?

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would download Greenify, follow the instructions, and then add every non-essential app to the list and hibernate everything. An example of what I leave alone are: Current Caller ID, Tagg, Google Voice, Handcent SMS, Go SMS Pro and Youmail. Everything else I'll hibernate after boot up, and periodically throughout the day. It's easy to do and just takes a tap of the Greenify Widget. Root is not required.

My understanding of that wakelock is that some app or process is requiring your data connection. You need to do a bit more than set your location services to battery saver. Go to Settings > Location > Google Location Reporting and make sure that Location Reporting and Location History are both off. Bear in mind this "cripples" a little bit of information that Google Now will give you, but it's worth a shot to see if it makes a difference. Looking at your battery stats, Google Play Services is a weird thing for me to see so high on your consumption "chart". Disclaimer: I'm just saying that the way I use my devices, it's not something I see, but you know how you use your device obviously better than I do.

Do you use Tasker by chance? If so, double check your tasks to see what all is triggered by location. I suspect that could cause a problem.

In short, that wakelock isn't a problem per-say. It's just telling us that there is a problem with something(s), somewhere on your device, polling your mobile data connection for something. The wakelock itself doesn't tell us what the cause is. It's more like a symptom. Maybe it's an app set to refresh every X number of minutes. Maybe it's a Weather Widget. Even stuff like your battery monitor can cause wakelocks. Obviously that's probably not the major concern in this case because we know something has been acting up for a while, which caused you to install a tool like that in the first place. I'd check every app that you use and just see which ones have push notifications/updates enabled and/or are set to update any other way other than manually. And I really do mean every single last app, from the start of your app drawer to the end. A pain, I know, but totally worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo