09-18-2014 05:13 PM
56 123
tools
    I don't blame the phone, I blame the OS. I have good service in my area and I am in the same place at the same time throughout my work day. Yesterday, without doing my reboot in the morning after charging I was down 17% in 4 hours with 3 minutes screen on time. My usual day(with a reboot) has me down around 20% in 8-10 hours with 30-45 minutes screen on time. And I know the reboot doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I just know something more is going on, wish I had the knowledge to figure out exactly what it is.
    04-04-2014 08:22 AM
    I just think it's difficult to blame the phone. Another example is my current business trip. I'm in the middle of no where Mississippi stuck on 3G alternating between 1 and 2 bars. Even on Wifi in the hotel, my battery life is abysmal. I went from 100% to almost 50% in like 8.5 hours with an hour and a half screen on. The device doesn't sleep as well as it normally does, and of course, it's warm to the touch. No bug required, it's merely network quality, and I don't just mean network strength.
    I get this problem on car trips, and never thought about network signal strength.

With a very unscientific approach of changing a whole bunch of things and then waiting to see if they all together fixed my problem, my battery life has returned to my "normal" range, and I have no idea why. I probably just needed to restart it and change a few of the buried settings. I had AT&T Wifi Hotspot, and a few other useless things turned on that I disabled. Android OS no longer drains 50% of my full charge, and the phone has more sleep and uses less battery overnight.

Thanks for the help!
    04-04-2014 01:55 PM
    I get this problem on car trips, and never thought about network !
    With tower hand off and signal strength always changing, it's bound to happen. I stream a lot of content on the road, and its quite the cocktail for turning a device into an energy hog.

Just earlier today I was on 3G with 1 bar running at 1x speeds when I tried to stream TuneIn as I unknowingly was receiving an MMS. Poor data caused the app to freeze, which locked up the device with more lag than my GNex ever had.... for about 20 seconds. That's an app issue facilitated by a clogged network with issues that would make most normal people think their device just sucked.

I don't blame the phone, I blame the OS. I have good service in my area and I am in the same place at the same time throughout my work day. Yesterday, without doing my reboot in the morning after charging I was down 17% in 4 hours with 3 minutes screen on time. My usual day(with a reboot) has me down around 20% in 8-10 hours with 30-45 minutes screen on time. And I know the reboot doesn't work for everyone, but it seems to work for me. I just know something more is going on, wish I had the knowledge to figure out exactly what it is.
    But during those crazy drains if you tap on settings, battery, history details, is your device sleeping when the screen is off or is it going nuts? You're right, it's daunting to figure out. For me, I've discovered that turning off haptic feedback, limiting my location to GPS only, turning location reporting/history off and setting apps/widgets to manual refresh eliminates the vast majority of battery drain/sleep problems. If I need those services, I turn them on and use them. Sometimes my battery seems unchanged, sometimes it drains more. However, I prefer consistent battery life over google's location based services, so I'm fine with that decision.

As we all know everything needs to be rebooted at some point. Earlier today my laptop had its cpu revved up for no reason and needed it's first reboot in a few weeks to fix it. Needing it everyday certainly is odd. In the past when I've done the steps I outlined in the other thread I linked to, and still had a pattern of issues, a factory reset has fixed it. I've needed to do that once, and it was on CM Nightlies as a flash-a-holic. Basically the device would not fall into deep sleep and extremely high battery drain after shutting everything off. It was very odd. Since I eliminated settings as being a cause, and apps (Froze then all in bulk) as being a cause, a factory reset was a no brainer.

But I made that call after more than just a day or two. I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but the last Google Play update (for the new Boot Animation) left me with higher than normal battery drain and partial wake locks from Motorola Services... for about a day, day and a half. Then it settled out. If I had wiped everything, or fretted over it, I would have been wasting time and energy.

Again, I'm not trying to elude that's the case for people with problems in this thread. I don't believe that at all. I just think it's worth mentioning in the discussion for everyone's benefit.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-04-2014 02:47 PM
    Yep during the drain days the phone likes to come awake a bunch of short times even when the phone hasn't been touched. It might not do it everyday if I quit rebooting, but the rebooting for me seems to keep the drain away. Preventative measure for me that only takes a few seconds. I have haptic feedback off. Other than that I don't bother disabling anything else really. I can go 30+ hours with 3-4 Hours SOT normally.
    04-04-2014 04:14 PM
    I'm going to charge my phone fully and unplug it and let it idle all night and see if their is any thing in the background running

04-04-2014 08:09 PM
    I'm going to charge my phone fully and unplug it and let it idle all night and see if their is any thing in the background running

Let us know how it goes then.
    What kind of hours were you getting ? Screen time?
    04-04-2014 10:22 PM
    I usually see about 8-12 hours battery with 2 hours screen time.

This is about a usual day for me.

04-05-2014 01:06 AM
    But what do your battery History details look like? It'd be good to see how much awake time you have. I would venture a guess that it's a lot, and that the main culprit is the battery monitor in your status bar. If you have a widget to go with it, then that's not helping either. Those things are polling your battery life on a frequent basis unless they are set to either manual refresh or to only update when the screen is on (and if they are coded well to begin with). All that said, Waze is a SERIOUS battery hog. I use it too because it's a great app, but it's brutal on battery life, even with the screen off.

Attached is what my phone normally does. Now, this is mostly untouched over night, but it's how, in my opinion, a Moto X's battery should act when your device is set up to allow the thing to sleep properly. I came in from out of town last night and unplugged my phone from the car charger, walked in, waited for my fiance to come over. We watched a movie, hung out for a bit then I ended up falling asleep on the couch before waking up, piddling around then setting my alarm and taking the first screen shot before falling asleep on the couch again. Yes, AndroidOS is "high". Something has to be high. When you aren't using a device, AndroidOS, WiFi, Phone Idle, I mean, something has to account for battery usage. It doesn't mean that it's broken.

If anything, I'm a little disappointed that I had three segments of Awake time with the Screen Off. This disappointment is utterly unfounded and ridiculous. But this is what I'm saying, I'm a H-U-G-E battery prostitute. I want my devices to sip power when not in use and last a loooong time. At the same time, most things don't freak me out. I guess I've played the battery life song and dance for a while now and I think I finally have my head wrapped around it.

Pay less attention to the first two shots where the device is trying to figure out where it's really at in the charge, and more attention to the last two.

Moto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-04-23-14-28.pngMoto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-05-00-18-39.pngMoto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-05-06-43-03.pngMoto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-05-06-43-07.png
    04-05-2014 07:36 AM
    Ya I normally don't use any battery apps but lately been trying to figure out what's up with my battery. But I think I'm chasing something that's not their.
    So I turned on a system monitor last night and unplugged it and let it idle all night.

KWKSLVR and davidnc like this.
    04-05-2014 10:35 AM
    NICE, that's more like it. I think that's really good, especially considering you were on LTE.
    04-05-2014 02:52 PM
    okay so lately I have been having horrible standby time. I have no clue what is causing it. I have deleted suspected apps & nothing has worked. I've done factory resets, my location services is set on battery saving. can some just please help me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    4runnerbrett likes this.
    04-07-2014 07:41 PM
    I honestly think thats pretty good battery life still. But ya something's definetly working in the background. You did a factory reset?

04-08-2014 12:03 AM
    It looks like you have bad mobile network signal - phone/text, not data necessarily.
    04-08-2014 11:49 AM
    I would download Greenify, follow the instructions, and then add every non-essential app to the list and hibernate everything. An example of what I leave alone are: Current Caller ID, Tagg, Google Voice, Handcent SMS, Go SMS Pro and Youmail. Everything else I'll hibernate after boot up, and periodically throughout the day. It's easy to do and just takes a tap of the Greenify Widget. Root is not required.

My understanding of that wakelock is that some app or process is requiring your data connection. You need to do a bit more than set your location services to battery saver. Go to Settings > Location > Google Location Reporting and make sure that Location Reporting and Location History are both off. Bear in mind this "cripples" a little bit of information that Google Now will give you, but it's worth a shot to see if it makes a difference. Looking at your battery stats, Google Play Services is a weird thing for me to see so high on your consumption "chart". Disclaimer: I'm just saying that the way I use my devices, it's not something I see, but you know how you use your device obviously better than I do.

Do you use Tasker by chance? If so, double check your tasks to see what all is triggered by location. I suspect that could cause a problem.

In short, that wakelock isn't a problem per-say. It's just telling us that there is a problem with something(s), somewhere on your device, polling your mobile data connection for something. The wakelock itself doesn't tell us what the cause is. It's more like a symptom. Maybe it's an app set to refresh every X number of minutes. Maybe it's a Weather Widget. Even stuff like your battery monitor can cause wakelocks. Obviously that's probably not the major concern in this case because we know something has been acting up for a while, which caused you to install a tool like that in the first place. I'd check every app that you use and just see which ones have push notifications/updates enabled and/or are set to update any other way other than manually. And I really do mean every single last app, from the start of your app drawer to the end. A pain, I know, but totally worth it.
    04-08-2014 06:57 PM
    I installed Clean Master, which clears the cache and RAM, and it seemed to improve my battery life a lot. I get through a 16 hour day with about 50% battery remaining with ~1h30 screen time and about 2h of listening to music or podcasts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nmaster.mguard
    acles003 likes this.
    04-09-2014 07:59 AM
    The Songza app was updated and keeps the phone awake. Are you using that for music?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    This has been killing the battery on my nexus7. Even after rebooting and without running the app it eats up juice. I emailed the dev.
    04-09-2014 09:30 AM
    This has been killing the battery on my nexus7. Even after rebooting and without running the app it eats up juice. I emailed the dev.
    no I use Google music.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    04-09-2014 10:28 AM
    Not the OP here, but after taking some advice I want to update with my progress and ask for a little more help.

Using some tweaks suggested here as well as running down some apps running in the background, I got my battery to discharge ~1.5%/hour with 89% deep sleep over 6.5 hours. Originally it would discharge ~0.4%/hour overnight and get deep sleep in the high 90%s. Android OS consumed most of the battery life, but I forgot to screenshot it. Here are some screen shots of last night with "Location" and "Wifi" on after a full charge, then a reset.

Can I feasibly get my battery back down below 1%/hour, or should I try a factory reset or try exchanging for a new phone (I should still be under factory warranty after 5 months, right? )?

Moto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-10-06-00-45.png Moto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-10-06-01-02.png
    04-10-2014 10:18 AM
    Not the OP here, but after taking some advice I want to update with my progress and ask for a little more help.

Using some tweaks suggested here as well as running down some apps running in the background, I got my battery to discharge ~1.5%/hour with 89% deep sleep over 6.5 hours. Originally it would discharge ~0.4%/hour overnight and get deep sleep in the high 90%s. Android OS consumed most of the battery life, but I forgot to screenshot it. Here are some screen shots of last night with "Location" and "Wifi" on after a full charge, then a reset.

Can I feasibly get my battery back down below 1%/hour, or should I try a factory reset or try exchanging for a new phone (I should still be under factory warranty after 5 months, right? )?
    I think that battery usage isn't bad enough to warrant a replacement. If it was then I would bet almost everyone would be eligible for a replacement. Some of that drain could be attributed to the fact it may have been under 100% charged when you took it off charger even though it stated 100%(see previous posts). Repeat what you did last night a few more times and see if it does the same every time.
    04-10-2014 11:01 AM
    . Repeat what you did last night a few more times and see if it does the same every time.
    Will do!
    04-10-2014 11:51 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-10-06-00-45.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	111770 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-10-06-01-02.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	111769
    Extrapolate on "Location On". What type of accuracy and location reporting as well as history on/off?

You definitely have some partial wakelocks that could be consistent with high location accuracy as well as location reporting and history turned on. If that's the case, then there may not be much you can trim off with those settings on unless your can narrow down a specific app wanting regular updates and squashing it out. If it's the OS for sure then that's probably the best you'll get without turning all of it off. You could always shut sync off for a night or two just to see if it makes a difference.

04-12-2014 11:41 PM
    Extrapolate on "Location On". What type of accuracy and location reporting as well as history on/off?

Under Settings -> Location -> "High Accuracy"

Location -> Google Location Reporting -> "Location Reporting" Off, "Location History" Off
    04-15-2014 11:43 AM
    I think that battery usage isn't bad enough to warrant a replacement. <snip> Repeat what you did last night a few more times and see if it does the same every time.
    A few days later and my phone hovered under 1% /hour in airplane mode. The battery went from about 89% to 82% over 8.5 hours which comes out at 0.8%/hour, but I don't have exact numbers because I'm not sure what the batter was at when I turned in. KWKSLVR guessed that the Location Settings could contribute to my wakelocks; he may be right as it looks like going into Airplane mode drastically reduced my wakelocks.

Moto X: Battery issues-screenshot_2014-04-15-07-00-20.png

Note: Also, I didn't screenshot until after I had already started downloading and listening to podcasts.
    04-15-2014 11:48 AM
    I don't have much to contribute in the way of knowledge, but I have lately been charging my phone to 100 % in the evenings BEFORE retiring for the night, based on the guidance from the Battery Doctor app I use not to leave it plugged in all night. I then put it into a super saver mode, shutting down data/wifi and syncing functions--I figure since I'll be asleep I can wait until morning to re-sync whatever emails or whatnot have come in the meantime. The only thing that's running is the native alarm function, along with calls/texts that would override the Assist sleep setting. In the morning I generally find that my sleep mode drain is under 1% per hour, which leaves more than enough to get through a full day of driving Assist settings, periodic email checks, texting, Maps for traffic, calls, music playback etc. I don't have wifi at work so I use 4g for that, but tend to turn that off when my desktop setup can provide what I need otherwise. Rinse and repeat. Over that 24 hour period it's not unusual for me to have well over 30% left, sometimes even 40% or more. Squeezing out 36-40 hours before I hit the threshold of 15% or so is not impossible with this routine, which I do whenever I want to do a full charge that helps recalibrate the battery.
    04-15-2014 12:33 PM
    Under Settings -> Location -> "High Accuracy"

Location -> Google Location Reporting -> "Location Reporting" Off, "Location History" Off
    Try Settings -> Location -> "GPS Only" for a couple of days and see if it helps.
    04-15-2014 03:50 PM
56 123