HELP! Cancel Lollipop 5.1 download in progress?

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone. I got the notification to update my OS to 5.1 this morning. I dismissed the notification, but it kept popping up. One of the times it popped up, I accidentally accepted it, and the download began.

I was hoping to wait for reports from others to see how 5.1 is working, because 4.4.4 isn't giving me any issues.

How do I stop the download that is already in progress?? I have "paused" it for now by turning off my device's WiFi. And I can force-stop the Motorola Download App. But this will be undone whenever the phone is restarted and the update will start downloading again.

Is there any way to cancel it for good?

cerob

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just don't install the download and you will be fine. You should receive a prompt after the file is downloaded asking if you want to install now. Just don't install it and you will be fine.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My Lollipop download and installation finished last night at midnight and then I had to play with it for a couple of hours (sleep deprivation is the pits) and I will have to say that my fears about it where unfounded. It works fast. So far all my apps work as they are supposed to and if the Battery indicator is to be believed I can now go 36 hours between charges.<!> Go ahead and let it install. I think you, like me, will be pleasantly surprised.

The download takes 90 minutes and installation another 30 so make sure your phone is on the charger.

Good luck!

<Edit> I may have to revise my battery estimate. I've been working it a little harder than I would normally and now it looks like I will get about 24 hours on a charge.

Last edited:

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I may have to revise my battery estimate. I've been working it a little harder than I would normally and now it looks like I will get about 24 hours on a charge.
Is that better or worse than you were getting before the update?

Ben Slowen

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so I downloaded the update, but didn't install. I unchecked the notification box on the Update App. However, I'm still getting a reminder every 10 minutes to do the installation. Is there any way to prevent this? (Why do they have to be such pests about it???)

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I downloaded the update, but didn't install. I unchecked the notification box on the Update App. However, I'm still getting a reminder every 10 minutes to do the installation. Is there any way to prevent this? (Why do they have to be such pests about it???)

Ditto!

It's very annoying that they aren't giving us the option of not installing 5.1.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
If you keep putting off the installation, it may just decided that after so many "Install Later" it will just install anyway on its own, this happened to my friend with an LG G2 on AT&T.

To stop the install, go to Settings -> Apps -> Motorola Update Services -> Force Stop. Probably will have to do this after every phone restart.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
To stop the install, go to Settings -> Apps -> Motorola Update Services -> Force Stop. Probably will have to do this after every phone restart.

Yep, I tried it with my "extra" XT1053. Since it doesn't have a SIM in it I just leave it turned off and in a drawer. I "Force Stop"ed Motorola Update Services on it before shutting it off a week ago. It's WIFI only and when I turned it on this morning it shot me the OS Update message. I decided "Oh what the heck" and tapped on "Sure". Interestingly enough when I did my daily driver XT1053 the other evening it took 90 minutes just to download the update. This morning it took only ten minutes. Both were through WIFI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty