Moto E, Moto G 4G have SD card slots. What about the X+1?

Will the successor to the Moto X have an SD card slot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, choice is good, but the Moto X is the last phone of a reasonable size, so if it gets to big, there will be no choice.

When Motorola designed the Moto X, I thought they did a lot of research into hand ergonomics, which is why the Moto X has its distinctive shape and size. I don't think they're going to throw away all that work they did on the design.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

IMO, for a proper mini, the major differences would be the screen size, screen resolution, and battery size.

DROID ULTRA/DROID MINI: same processor, same RAM, same camera, same camera features, same software features.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO, for a proper mini, the major differences would be the screen size, screen resolution, and battery size.

DROID ULTRA/DROID MINI: same processor, same RAM, same camera, same camera features, same software features.

Well the one mini 2 follows the s3 mini and s4 mini. Both are stripped down in cpu and memory compared to their non mini brethren

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well the one mini 2 follows the s3 mini and s4 mini. Both are stripped down in cpu and memory compared to their non mini brethren

DROID MINI and Z1 Compact are better examples of real "mini" versions. One Mini 2, One Mini, S3 Mini, S4 Mini - they're only mini in name IMO.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
DROID MINI and Z1 Compact are better examples of real "mini" versions. One Mini 2, One Mini, S3 Mini, S4 Mini - they're only mini in name IMO.

Depends on how you look at it. I am guessing Samsung and HTC want to keep the price down on the mini versions, and to do so they minimize as much as possible.

Also I thought that the Droid mini is same resolution, just smaller size and display type

Last edited:

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
SD Memory Cards intellectual property rights are owned by the SD group ( Panasonic Corporation, SanDisk Corporation, and Toshiba Corporation (collectively "SD Group").

Perhaps we should look forward to Android phones from Panasonic, SanDisk, or Toshiba. They will probably have micro SD card support.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Here is to hoping. Need something to replace my Razr M and this might be it. But, I want a micro SD card slot.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I voted no on the SD cad slot because I would prefer it didn't have one.However I would like to see it have 32gb internal storage(successor to the Moto X) on release but thats not in the poll

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I could, but USB OTG isn't as convenient as regular built in micro SD cards.

Right, I totally get that. I'm not saying it's as good, but that just the inclusion or lack of a slot dedicated for the card may not need to be a make or break feature for a device. If two devices are equal and one has it and one doesn't, then yeah... but the availability of other opens means we don't have to take the inclusion or lack of as an inherent benefit or drawback of a device. For me, having the slot is a drawback but I would still buy a rockin' awesome device that had one if I liked everything else about it and just get over the fact it is there. What would be unacceptable to me would be to buy an 8GB or 16GB device that had one. In that instance, it should have been 64 internal and no card slot and I would probably bypass that device.

SD cards aren't as big of a deal to me as buttons. Someone could release the Best Device on the Planet, that objectively crushes everything else in every spec category, etc -if it has a physical button on the front, it's never going to be mine. I'd still buy a device that had an SD card slot, but it's definitely someone that I'd prefer it not have. It takes up space, money and resources to put it in there and I personally feel there are better uses of all three.

For the people opposite of me that want the SD card and would really prefer it be there than not, I'm basically saying they can be equally as agnostic and still buy devices that lack it because there are easy workarounds that still allow them to enjoy the device and the feature they want, just not necessarily in an ideal configuration.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For the people opposite of me that want the SD card and would really prefer it be there than not, I'm basically saying they can be equally as agnostic and still buy devices that lack it because there are easy workarounds that still allow them to enjoy the device and the feature they want, just not necessarily in an ideal configuration.

That doesn't really work for most people. Sure you can use a thumb drive but every time you would want to access it, you would have to plug it in. It also does not allow you to charge when using usb otg. I access the sd card probably 20+ hours a day. I can keep multiple batteries and swap them out, but that isn't practical for me either.

For some, a thumb drive via usb otg might work, for me it doesn't. I won't buy a phone without sd card unless it has 64gb internal minimum, and preferably 128gb. Finding a 64gb internal memory device is difficult especially on Verizon. The sd card gives me the flexibility to choose from a number of devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the X+1 will have an SD card slot because SD card support is arguably better in KitKat. If I end up with an X+1, I probably wouldn't use the slot at all though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems like moto and HTC follows Google on their guidance... Samsung does whatever they want.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Right, I totally get that. I'm not saying it's as good, but that just the inclusion or lack of a slot dedicated for the card may not need to be a make or break feature for a device. If two devices are equal and one has it and one doesn't, then yeah... but the availability of other opens means we don't have to take the inclusion or lack of as an inherent benefit or drawback of a device. For me, having the slot is a drawback but I would still buy a rockin' awesome device that had one if I liked everything else about it and just get over the fact it is there. What would be unacceptable to me would be to buy an 8GB or 16GB device that had one. In that instance, it should have been 64 internal and no card slot and I would probably bypass that device.

SD cards aren't as big of a deal to me as buttons. Someone could release the Best Device on the Planet, that objectively crushes everything else in every spec category, etc -if it has a physical button on the front, it's never going to be mine. I'd still buy a device that had an SD card slot, but it's definitely someone that I'd prefer it not have. It takes up space, money and resources to put it in there and I personally feel there are better uses of all three.

For me SD card slots is up there with how big I prefer my devices. It took so much time for me to even settle on a Moto X because of the lack of a micro SD card slot. Motorola Migrate helped a lot on that front. In fact I would venture to say, if it was not for Motorola Migrate, I would not have gotten a Moto X.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For me SD card slots is up there with how big I prefer my devices. It took so much time for me to even settle on a Moto X because of the lack of a micro SD card slot. Motorola Migrate helped a lot on that front. In fact I would venture to say, if it was not for Motorola Migrate, I would not have gotten a Moto X.

It's somewhat easier to mitigate storage than to add a larger display :p. Point taken though. Know what I'd really really really like? SD card optional on moto maker.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.