Moto X- 16 GB or 32 GB?

rite11ken

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am planning to buy the Moto X but wasn't sure whether I should spend the extra $50 for the 32 GB version. I don't save a lot of music on my phones and don't download games and movies on it too. I usually need the storage for apps which I download a lot. Also have photos but not a lot. What would you suggest would be a good idea for my particular needs.

Thanks!

chipmoney

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I have the 32 GB version and have just over 6 GBs free with ~8 GBs of music and podcasts on my phone right now. I have a handful of games that take another 2-3 GB. I would be out of space on the 16GB but if you aren't going to keep any music on your device I'm sure you could make it work. For me the $50 was worth not having to worry about storage space.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I guess most importantly how much storage are you using on your current phone? I got the 16GB myself as due to my unlimited data plan I have no need to keep music stored on my phone and stream it all from Google Play Music. Same goes for photos with Google Photos. Just bear in mind the 16GB model only has 10.1GB of usable storage for the user.

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am planning to buy the Moto X but wasn't sure whether I should spend the extra $50 for the 32 GB version. I don't save a lot of music on my phones and don't download games and movies on it too. I usually need the storage for apps which I download a lot. Also have photos but not a lot. What would you suggest would be a good idea for my particular needs.

Thanks!

Just go for the 32gb version. You WILL regret not doing so the minute you click confirm. consider it a present to yourself.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Go 32 GB. I have the 2013 Moto X in 16 GB and how I wish I got the 32 GB. Of my 16 GB, the actual available is 12 GB, of which 7 GB is apps and 4 GB of everything else, leaving me with about 1 GB only of space. I usually have to uninstall something to install something else.

Definitely go 32 GB.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I never buy anything over the base storage option and in the Moto X case that's 16GB for me.

I have a TB of Google Drive space that came with my Chromebook Pixel, I have unlimited OneDrive storage that comes with my office subscription and I have a 30GB data plan.. Add in that WiFi is everywhere these days and I am more than covered.

For me and my use, buying more storage is a waste of money..

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I never buy anything over the base storage option and in the Moto X case that's 16GB for me.

I have a TB of Google Drive space that came with my Chromebook Pixel, I have unlimited OneDrive storage that comes with my office subscription and I have a 30GB data plan.. Add in that WiFi is everywhere these days and I am more than covered.

For me and my use, buying more storage is a waste of money..

I thought I only needed the 16GB for my 2013 Moto X, but in the past couple months I started running low on space and I got the 32GB for the one I ordered last night from the Cyber Monday deal. I found that I accumulated photos and music over time.

YarisT8

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm considering the 16gb version because it's cheap but the 32gb would buy me peace of mind. Decision, Decison, help!!! I store some music but mostly stream and store some photos but mostly on the cloud. Since this is a more powerful phone I just might use the it more often than my Nexus 7 and whatever I can't do on my phone I'll do on my Nexus 7. I'll make my decision by today.

Last edited:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm considering the 16gb version because it's cheap but the 32gb would buy me peace of mind. Decision, Decison, help!!! I store some music but mostly stream and store some photos but mostly on the cloud. Since this is a more powerful phone I just might use the it more often than my Nexus 7 and whatever I can't do on my phone I'll do on my Nexus 7. I'll make my decision by today.

I made the mistake of going with 16GB. I still have plenty of free space, but the decision has been nagging at me and I know I'll have regrets a year from now. So I ordered the 32GB with the Cyber Monday Code and I have until the 12th to return my 16.

Posted via the Android Central App

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 4 with 15 gig, never used more than a quarter! Everything I use is in (or can quickly be put in) the cloud, got thousands of pictures, movies and books, I click them when needed?
Office 365 in the cloud.
I only play one games at a time then remove it and move onto the next.
With cloud, LTE and unlimited data I could make do with 5 gig easily.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Nexus 4 with 15 gig, never used more than a quarter! Everything I use is in (or can quickly be put in) the cloud, got thousands of pictures, movies and books, I click them when needed?
Office 365 in the cloud.
I only play one games at a time then remove it and move onto the next.
With cloud, LTE and unlimited data I could make do with 5 gig easily.

^^^ This ^^^

I've never understood the need / desire to keep everything on the device.

If traveling I can download a movie or two to watch on the flight then delete them after. Do I really need to keep already watched movies on my device? Photos are the same and I don't need them stored on my phone.

If someone has a limited data plan then WiFi is everywhere. Music is really the only tuff one. I have a ton of data and WiFi is everywhere so it's not an issue for me. Listening to music at the gym? I think every gym on the planet has WiFi. I can't think of many instances where I'd want to listen to music where WiFi is not available. If there is an instance, then prior planning solves the problem. Download music when on WiFi. Listen to it, then delete it afterwards.

The only real instance I can see where more storage would be preferable is if someone is an app addict and has thousands...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks!

A lot of it depends on what your future use might look like. My plan on AT&T only offered the 16GB version, so that's what I bought and I can live with that. However, if given the choice I would have happily dropped $50 for the 32GB version.

I could store more on the phone if and when my usage patterns change. Right now, I'm on a 5GB tethering plan, so I really don't mind streaming music often. But if I drop to a smaller data plan to save money down the road, it'd be nice to be able to throw a few GB of music on board without sweating it. Two years is a long time, and things change.

And a year from now, if I decide to sell it off and get a full-price upgrade, a 32GB model would sell better than a 16GB.

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought the 16gb version. I don't really keep music or photos on my phone. I delete all my pics once they've been uploaded to Google and I think I have one album on my phone just in case I forget to charge my iPod. I had an 8gb Nexus4 and never had any space issues so I didn't see the need for 32gb.

for3nsicguy

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The upgrade to Android 5.0 Lollipop is going to make this a much bigger issue than on 4.4 Kit Kat due to the extra space requirements for the new ART Runtime. Every app will take up more space on your device under ART. That applies to the core OS as well.

I purchased the 32GB model more for this reason than any other. I think anyone with a 16GB device 6 months after upgrading to Lollipop will regret not spending the extra money on the 32GB model.

Posted via the Android Central App

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The upgrade to Android 5.0 Lollipop is going to make this a much bigger issue than on 4.4 Kit Kat due to the extra space requirements for the new ART Runtime. Every app will take up more space on your device under ART. That applies to the core OS as well.

I purchased the 32GB model more for this reason than any other. I think anyone with a 16GB device 6 months after upgrading to Lollipop will regret not spending the extra money on the 32GB model.

My N5 is on Lollipop and is also 16GB.. I have all my apps installed with everything else in the cloud..

Here is what I still have left
.. 11.17GB free

Attachments

• 243.jpg
    243.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 39

Krolt

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 is too and I got loads of unneeded junk on there, I did turn ART on before Lollipop but didn't notice much difference, was always between 11 and 12 free with or without ART,

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
32GB if you take video or download music. Video files are huge!
I think 32GB might also have a higher resale value

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've always gone with 32 GB. I don't want to even think about having enough space on my phone for whatever I want to store on it, temporarily or permanently, so the extra cost is worth it to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa