Leather back Q's

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So I'm getting the X 2014, and I'm thinking of maybe getting the leather back. If I choose to do a Dbrand/Toast/Slickwrap/whatever, would it stick to the leather back?

Also how does the leather back do against water?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Do Skins/Decal's work on the leather back?

Probably would, but it would be difficult to apply and/or would look weird. The leather back has imperfections the other smoother backs don't. So you can expect either bubbles or the leather pattern beneath the decals if you're truly successful in getting all the air out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Decals aren't flexible enough to go into the crevices that exist in leather. A good decal (one with good glue) will stick to cleaned (meaning all the wax and outgass products removed) leather, but as SpookDroid said, it's going to look strange. And everywhere a tiny piece of decal is hanging over an inset grain in the leather, it's going to tear, unless, while it's wet, you use a very sharp Xacto knife to slice the decal the length of the grain and fold the edged of the slice down into the grain to stick to the sides of the crevice. (I used to do a lot of decal work on furniture when I was a kid - my father was in the business - and anything not glass-smooth never really looked right. [Imagine a screen protector with a few grains of grit on the screen when you apply it.] The imperfections in the decal will be tiny, but they'll stick out like a sore thumb.)

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

I'd also assume if you manage to get it on that it might damage the leather on the back. If you really want to put on a skin I'd recommend a normal back.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

True, didn't think about that... if the decals have glue, the glue will probably end up damaging the leather (at least sticking to it shall you want to remove it later). Good point mhettrich!

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it was just a question, I doubt I ever would. Now I have a question about water. I know the X is water 'proof' / nano-coated, but what about the leather? Obviously water is bad, but how bad?

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it was just a question, I doubt I ever would. Now I have a question about water. I know the X is water 'proof' / nano-coated, but what about the leather? Obviously water is bad, but how bad?
Like you said, I'd avoid getting water on the leather if possible. That being said, I think the impact varies based on what leather you get. I have black leather on mine and water does basically nothing to it, but I'm sure if you had the tan color it would be a different story.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Like you said, I'd avoid getting water on the leather if possible. That being said, I think the impact varies based on what leather you get. I have black leather on mine and water does basically nothing to it, but I'm sure if you had the tan color it would be a different story.

I'm getting Navy Blue.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not overly cautious with my device, but I do make sure to at least be aware when I'm going to be in an environment where there will be water.
I live in the PNW so there is always water. So probably shouldn't take it out in the rain too much?