Stagefright Hack

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You might want to read what AndroidCentral said about this: The 'Stagefright' exploit: What you need to know | Android Central

Unfortunately, that article mostly raises questions not answers. Not that I'm blaming them--there aren't a lot of answers. But it doesn't have much of a plan in how to avoid. It doesn't tell us when patches will come through the various carriers. It doesn't include comments from Lookout or other security firms that you might hope would address this. It doesn't tell us what to do in general.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, that article mostly raises questions not answers. Not that I'm blaming them--there aren't a lot of answers. But it doesn't have much of a plan in how to avoid. It doesn't tell us when patches will come through the various carriers. It doesn't include comments from Lookout or other security firms that you might hope would address this. It doesn't tell us what to do in general.

Maybe, but I think it's a little more information than others.

I did hear something on TV this morning, but they are even worse than any online information. According to them Google has a fix and has given it to manufacturers... now it's up to them to deliver that via an OTA patch. So maybe it's time to complain to Motorola and ask them when they will deliver this.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have turned off Auto - Retrieve MMS messages in my messenger ,while waiting for a patch release. Just a step I could take now.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have turned off Auto - Retrieve MMS messages in my messenger ,while waiting for a patch release. Just a step I could take now.

Typically I don't get MMS messages, so if I turn this off will I still get a notification that I have a message and some way of looking at the message and dealing with it?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Typically I don't get MMS messages, so if I turn this off will I still get a notification that I have a message and some way of looking at the message and dealing with it?

I'm not for sure off since this is the first I disable it.I haven't gotten any since disabling it yet
I would assume would require some kind of manual action / notification or something like , since its not actually blocking it .

So some way of being able to decide if you want to allow or not , I would say.

Edit: I found this

If you disable this option, only the message header displays in the message list, and you will be prompted to download the attachment(s).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yup tested it sent myself a picture. I know who its from,, from avatar showing ( its me)
And shows this message before ya open it
0f6a8831e258ae1985f111e5f9f027a4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
That's what Lookout said the only temporary solution is when I asked them.

That's the best solution to go with until a patch is pushed. That and not opening mms from random numbers. The reason why it is such a problem is because most have the auto retrieve on, which allows the malicious code to get injected right away. But if auto retrieve is off and you don't click anything from strange numbers, no worries.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently rooted on 4.4.2 and wasn't sure how an ota would work for me. In the meantime, I went into my buildprop editor and change everything stagefright to false; also turned off auto receive for my MMS

Posted via the Android Central App