Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Will this have always listening? That is my only must have feature, otherwise I will keep my trouble.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

One thing I hadn't considered ... will the 'Pure Edition' work with a Verizon Wireless sim? Thank you.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

I'm fine with the non AMOLED screen. But 5.7inch screen is too big. Its almost in the mini tablet category. I would have preferred 4.7 inches. Also if they could not have put in a bigger capacity battery then I would have preferred 1080p screen instead of a 1440p screen because let's be honest, 1440p practically makes no difference over 1080p.But if they wanted 1440p then i would have preferred a 4000mah battery.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Moto X Style A really nice phone!

Style looks to be really nice. I guess Moto ran the numbers and more people wanted micro sd than wireless charging. I'll stick to my Nexus 6, but if I didn't have it, I would be looking for a Moto Style.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I think the Style is too big. I really like size of the 2014 Moto X. Also concerned about active display on a non amoled display like others mentioned. I probably wont upgrade anytime soon.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: A really nice phone!

Lenovo did a pretty bang up job with the takeover. For a couple hundred less than the S6 you lose ois on the camera which is still scoring well regardless, but gain better software, battery life, and faster updates.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Will this have always listening? That is my only must have feature, otherwise I will keep my trouble.

Yes. They have a specific chip for that and it's a signature feature of the Moto X.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Very excited about: Pure edition, Price, screen size, overall size of the phone (it is smaller in every dimension except thickness than an iPhone 6 plus which I consider a pretty manageable phone - for a phablet)

Seems promising: Camera - I'll be eagerly awaiting reviews on this. I'm not so worried about OIS. Sure it can help but even the iPhone 6 (regular version) doesn't have OIS and no one complains about that camera. Conversely my Nexus 5 has OIS and it certainly wasn't a magic fix.

Concerned: Battery size. 5.7inches, QHD, stock Android (not as good with battery life) and a 3000mAh battery seems concerning. Sure it is much better than 2300mAh but this phone is going to need the power. I'm not a super heavy user but if I'm going to have a phablet I expect good to great battery life from it otherwise it might as well be a smaller phone if I can't use it that often. And no, super duper turbo charging does not excuse poor battery life.

100% This. Put it this way: How in the world can Motorola justify putting the smaller battery in the phone with the larger, more power-hungry QHD display? Ok, I get the fact that the Moto X Play is Motorola's answer to the S6 Active, but think about it: if you're on the go and truly ACTIVE, you wouldn't necessarily be using the phone every second. By active, I take it to mean that when on the go and you do need to use the phone, you'll have enough juice to get through the day.

Now, with phablets like the Moto X Style, Motorola talks about wanting to make the phone bigger in screen size so users can have a more immersive experience. Well, hello, Moto! (pun intended) Immersive experiences on a phablet involve video watching and game or music playing, which are the chief battery drainers! How does Motorola not know that? But this was my fear with this phone, and is my fear with phones in general: going with the gimmick. An FHD screen and 3,630 mAh battery makes much more sense in the Moto X Style, not the Moto X Play.

Even if someone wanted to get the Play over the Style, you can't even get it here in the U. S., at least initially, if at all. To me, the Moto X Style, or Moto X Pure Edition as it will be called in the U. S., is a slightly smaller Nexus 6, with Moto features. And while yes, that sounds good, if you compare the two phones, spec-wise, I believe they offset each other. The difference I see in the Nexus 6's favor is that it has less pixels to push, which is a bit easier on the battery.

With the Moto X Style, I realistically see no more than 3.5-4 hours SOT, at most.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
hits: pure, unlocked, SD, build quality/customizations, price, that "cool factor" that just can't be described, front speakers

miss: iOS, battery size

The 3000 mAh battery was disappointing to say the least. IOS, fingerprint scanner, USB-C I can live without. The battery left me with some doubt, and there's enough time from now and September for another phone (Nexus comes to mind) to win me over.

That said, a pure unlocked phone with the best UX in the business with a premium build quality for only $399? I mean, that's just amazing and I'm happy a lot of people are gonna enjoy this phone for the next 24-36 months!

Last edited:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

With the Moto X Style, I realistically see no more than 3.5-4 hours SOT, at most.
That's what I would expect as well. It has a smaller battery than the Nexus 6 which (for me) gets about 3.5 hours of screen on time.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

100% This. Put it this way: How in the world can Motorola justify putting the smaller battery in the phone with the larger, more power-hungry QHD display? Ok, I get the fact that the Moto X Play is Motorola's answer to the S6 Active, but think about it: if you're on the go and truly ACTIVE, you wouldn't necessarily be using the phone every second. By active, I take it to mean that when on the go and you do need to use the phone, you'll have enough juice to get through the day.

Now, with phablets like the Moto X Style, Motorola talks about wanting to make the phone bigger in screen size so users can have a more immersive experience. Well, hello, Moto! (pun intended) Immersive experiences on a phablet involve video watching and game or music playing, which are the chief battery drainers! How does Motorola not know that? But this was my fear with this phone, and is my fear with phones in general: going with the gimmick. An FHD screen and 3,630 mAh battery makes much more sense in the Moto X Style, not the Moto X Play.

Even if someone wanted to get the Play over the Style, you can't even get it here in the U. S., at least initially, if at all. To me, the Moto X Style, or Moto X Pure Edition as it will be called in the U. S., is a slightly smaller Nexus 6, with Moto features. And while yes, that sounds good, if you compare the two phones, spec-wise, I believe they offset each other. The difference I see in the Nexus 6's favor is that it has less pixels to push, which is a bit easier on the battery.

nailed it ... we've been talking about battery for awhile on the moto x thread and unfortunately the feature at the top of our wish list came up small ... disappointing

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

nailed it ... we've been talking about battery for awhile on the moto x thread and unfortunately the feature at the top of our wish list came up small ... disappointing

Exactly. Once again, we see a company favoring style (no pun intended) over substance. For me, substance entails a more than adequate FHD AMOLED screen, 3,600-4,000 mAh battery, and dual front stereo speakers. I'm now pinning my hopes on the Nexus devices; specifically the Huawei Nexus, since they prefer FHD screens. Hopefully Google allows them to use it over a QHD screen. Give me that, a 4,000 mAh battery, and at least the good and loud HiFi speaker that Huawei is known to use on the bottom, (if not dual front stereo), and I'm set.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm a big fan of Moto but I sometimes scratch my head about some of their decisions. Why does the Moto X Play with a 5.5" non QHD screen have a 3630 mAh battery while the Moto X Style has a 5.7" QHD screen with a 3000 mAh battery?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Exactly. Once again, we see a company favoring style (no pun intended) over substance. For me, substance entails a more than adequate FHD AMOLED screen, 3,600-4,000 mAh battery, and dual front stereo speakers. I'm now pinning my hopes on the Nexus devices; specifically the Huawei Nexus, since they prefer FHD screens. Hopefully Google allows them to use it over a QHD screen. Give me that, a 4,000 mAh battery, and at least the good and loud HiFi speaker that Huawei is known to use on the bottom, (if not dual front stereo), and I'm set.

Keep in mind this phone hasn't even arrived yet before you make decisive conclusions

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Keep in mind this phone hasn't even arrived yet before you make decisive conclusions

As well as no hands on, in depth reviews, that hopefully will happen sooner than later.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I really don't understand why one of these companies can't make the perfect smartphone. Moto is so close. Why make the Moto X a phablet, like the Nexus? Why not include OIS? Why put a bigger battery in the play edition? I would rather pay an extra $100 and have the OIS and bigger battery.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

agreed. such a simple request yet so far out of reach. if aesthetics were important to me I'd have an iPhone, but I'm a throwback Android guy that will take function over form all day every day.