Moto X Style: TFT screen - is it a deal breaker?

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: TFT screen - deal breaker?

Im assuming that its a ips without a doubt. Ive seen several videos now of the x style and the screen over a good video looks fantastic. And ive seen it against the moto x 2nd gen and next to eachother the style looks hell of alot better

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

For viewing angles these are from the phonearena.com hands on. It looks fine to me? (the blurriness is from their camera, see the guy's right thumb is out of focus)

View attachment 189025View attachment 189026

I don't care about viewing angles (much). I care about visibility through polarized sunglasses, so that I can dock the thing on my dash and use it for navigation...and not incidentally, Google Play Music for my 2 hour round-trip commute.

Though that is indeed an excellent looking viewing angle for an IPS LCD.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't care about viewing angles (much). I care about visibility through polarized sunglasses, so that I can dock the thing on my dash and use it for navigation...and not incidentally, Google Play Music for my 2 hour round-trip commute.

Though that is indeed an excellent looking viewing angle for an IPS LCD.
You should be good, I'm still unfortunately using the Xperia z1 screen and I drive a truck daily. It ain't pretty but i make do. This screen looks a few grades above that

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

this (I will miss active notifications) and size is deal breaker for me

how could the moto x play not come to the US grrr

Hoping for another price drop on the Moto x 2014. It's fairly cheap at the moment.

Need something to retire my moto x 2013

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

My s6 is using amoled but I have never used TFT screen. Is it that bad? I love moto x!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

this (I will miss active notifications) and size is deal breaker for me

how could the moto x play not come to the US grrr

Hoping for another price drop on the Moto x 2014. It's fairly cheap at the moment.

Need something to retire my moto x 2013

It still provides active notifications. One of the other sites had a hands-on video showing off the notifications along with some of the new features (ability to pause/play and skip/rewind music from the screen).

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

That is true. I am PRAYING it's an IPS LCD. It's just odd how it is described simply as a TFT display, rather than an IPS or just LCD.

I'm probably just worrying prematurely, because I doubt Moto would screw up a QHD display with bad viewing angles. You're right, it's probably an IPS display. I just wish they specified.

just curious, and I'm not being snarky, real question, when do u view a phone at different angles? TV I get, tablet/laptop sure, but I only look at my phone dead on, and the wouldn't let the 2-3x a month I show a friend a YouTube clip on my phone dictate whether or not I choose a phone based on viewing angles. if it's inferior when staring directly at it, or in sunlight or even with sunglasses on, that's a different story.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

just curious, and I'm not being snarky, real question, when do u view a phone at different angles? TV I get, tablet/laptop sure, but I only look at my phone dead on, and the wouldn't let the 2-3x a month I show a friend a YouTube clip on my phone dictate whether or not I choose a phone based on viewing angles. if it's inferior when staring directly at it, or in sunlight or even with sunglasses on, that's a different story.

When using it as a car GPS you'll never look at it dead on. Unless you want to be arrested anyway.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Not a deal breaker, but I don't yet understand what they're doing.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

It still provides active notifications. One of the other sites had a hands-on video showing off the notifications along with some of the new features (ability to pause/play and skip/rewind music from the screen).

I need a video of that last bit. NEED. Please.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I would assume the viewing angles, or a potential lack thereof with TFT, is the reason for the virtually non-existant side bezels on the Style? I've seen some hands on videos that actually find the viewing angles to be good.

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site

I think your right. The viewing angles look just as good as my xperia z2 if not better. If its a tft display then im fricking shocked, but i do think its a high possibility that its a ips pannel. Regardless of the screen tech it looks awsome and moto have my money i was going to get the g4 but now im guna wait around for the moto x pure edition

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Don't confuse TFT with TN, guys.

TFT stands for Thin-film Transistor. It's a thin LCD panel. Popular for use in mobile devices because it's thin.

TN stands for Twisted Nematic. It has high response time and also supports higher refresh rates but has atrocious viewing angles.

IPS, as we all know, is In-Plane Switching. We all know its benefits because we use them in many of our mobile devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It's listed in the official specs, sadly. I too am wondering how Moto Display will impact battery life without an AMOLED screen.

We should ask the people with Lollipop's Ambient Display on the Nexus 5, LG G4 and other non-AMOLED displays. I didn't try the ZF2 or Shield without Ambient on, so not sure if there is a hit or not. Both devices have very solid battery life though, for their size, etc. so I'm not too worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I won't call anything a deal breaker when it's on paper and without any real-world experience/review of the actual device. I'll reserve judgement until the reviews come in. But it will be fascinating to know how Moto Display will work with a TFT screen.

Seriously. I don't see how this could possibly be a deal breaker without anyone having any real-world experience with it. What happened to the days of the Moto X 2013 when people were actually judging the phone based on the experience rather than the spec sheet?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Seriously. I don't see how this could possibly be a deal breaker without anyone having any real-world experience with it. What happened to the days of the Moto X 2013 when people were actually judging the phone based on the experience rather than the spec sheet?
This gets a "This ^^".

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Well at this point in the 2013 X's life the boards were quite a bit more brutal towards it (including me). "Mid range phone with flagship price" etc.

My point is we LOVE to judge a phone prior to touching it!!!

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think some of you need to do some more research on what TFT means. Virtually every modern LCD used in phones, computers, and TVs is some type of TFT LCD. IPS? Yeah, that's a type of TFT LCD.

With that out of the way. No, it's not a deal breaker. For me, it's a deal maker. I prefer a good LCD (and from all first hand accounts, it is a good LCD) to an AMOLED screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non