Moto X Style: Camera does not have OIS

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Is the lack of OIS on the Moto X Style camera a deal breaker? Or do you think that OIS is not really necessary for good stable pics? Thoughts?

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: No OIS

I'm going to wait and see some comparisons to the Galaxy and the G4. I don't know very much about photography, but from what I have read, the OIS in a smartphone really helps with low light photos, which is where the Moto X 2015 is very weak.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the lack of OIS on the Moto X Style camera a deal breaker? Or do you think that OIS is not really necessary for good stable pics? Thoughts?

I'm coming from an S4 and Nexus 4, so my expectations aren't all that high. Truth is, if I want a high end camera I'll buy one, and if it's that important to me, I'll shell out the extra cash and get an S6 or G4. I'd rather have OIS than not, but it's definitely not a deal breaker. The iPhone 6 doesn't have OIS, and it's a solid camera, so I'll reserve judgment.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

It's not important to me. I have a small Canon camera that takes amazing pictures. If I really want to take a good picture that's what I use. It's almost always with me anyway. I just use my cell phone camera to catch Quik snapshots and that's about it. This whole amazing camera thing for a smartphone seems kind of like it's getting out of hand to me. I understand that a lot of the younger generation doesn't even own a regular camera and all they have is their cell phone for a camera. So I guess in an instance like that having an amazing camera on your phone is beneficial. But, when I want to take a good picture that I want to remember and have for a very long time and have that picture be something that my kids and grandkids can look at in the future and remember those times, I'm really not thinking of using my cell phone.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Disappointing, yes, will it stop me from buying one, no. There really isn't a good reason to not include OIS on the phone, and I can't see it being enough of a cost increase to make the phone cost $50 more so why is it missing?

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Disappointing, yes, will it stop me from buying one, no. There really isn't a good reason to not include OIS on the phone, and I can't see it being enough of a cost increase to make the phone cost $50 more so why is it missing?

I'm a Moto Maker so I get to talk to the engineers directly. They say it was mostly because of the avoided because of the added material and thickness needed. When they make phones they weigh features that make it in or not to keep it in they desired thickness while keeping customers happy.

It won't stop me from buying one, but I hope they go back to whatever they put into the X 2013 camera, atleast for pictures the images were stable, but the x 2014 were all kinda shaky if you moved your and or the subject was moving.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

You're a Moto Maker? Will the SD card be included or is it extra?

I thought they were using digital stabilization? The iPhone 6 doesn't have OIS but it's supposedly has good ratings.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I thought they were using digital stabilization? The iPhone 6 doesn't have OIS but it's supposedly has good ratings.
I will try to get back to on both those things, only a few times we get to talk directly, otherwise there is a middle man and obviously when they have time. I'm almost certain the SD card will be extra.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

I do not recall seeing that the Moto X style will have digital stabilization. Video stabilization yes...but I have not seen digital stabilization. Is it implied somewhere that they will have it?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm going to wait and see some comparisons to the Galaxy and the G4. I don't know very much about photography, but from what I have read, the OIS in a smartphone really helps with low light photos, which is where the Moto X 2015 is very weak.

I've never bothered to read up on why iPhones seem to take solid low light shots without OIS but you're right they do. And it annoyed me every time I was out with friends or family and their indoor low light shots always turned out better than shots on my Android phones.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I do not recall seeing that the Moto X style will have digital stabilization. Video stabilization yes...but I have not seen digital stabilization. Is it implied somewhere that they will have it?
The official specs on motorola.com list digital stabilization for video for the pure edition/style.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Not really.

You have to remember that it's a $399 phone, so there'll be some compromises.

DIS seems to be good enough for a phone in this price class.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

The official specs on motorola.com list digital stabilization for video for the pure edition/style.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Yes but it says no such thing for digital stabilization for still pictures. Is it implied because it is there for video?

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm a Moto Maker so I get to talk to the engineers directly. They say it was mostly because of the avoided because of the added material and thickness needed. When they make phones they weigh features that make it in or not to keep it in they desired thickness while keeping customers happy.

It won't stop me from buying one, but I hope they go back to whatever they put into the X 2013 camera, atleast for pictures the images were stable, but the x 2014 were all kinda shaky if you moved your and or the subject was moving.

Seriously? It's already 11mm thick, and there wasn't enough space in there??

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Without seeing more samples from the camera, I can't say whether or not the lack of OIS would be a deal breaker for me.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Seriously? It's already 11mm thick, and there wasn't enough space in there??

Yea, that doesn't make sense to me either.

After reading through the dpreview.com first look on the camera, I can't help but wonder why they didn't include a digital stabilization option for photos. Lars (the reviewer) was adamant that the digital stabilization used for video shooting was really well done, and as good as some competing optical solutions. They obviously had to crop out some of the sensor in order to do that, but this seems like a really good trade off. I'd gladly give up a little resolution and angle of view, to use it for photos when needed.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Not a deal breaker for me. I have a Sony a7 that i use if I am going on vacation or to a family thing where I want great pictures that I can share with the Family. I just want a decent camera in the "pure" that will take those fun grab shots when you are out with friends messing around or for posting on Instagram/twitter.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Without seeing more samples from the camera, I can't say whether or not the lack of OIS would be a deal breaker for me.

These are exactly my thoughts as well. I hope to see samples soon of all scenarios... .wondering why these AC guys haven't gotten one yet?

Lazies.... lol

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

These are exactly my thoughts as well. I hope to see samples soon of all scenarios... .wondering why these AC guys haven't gotten one yet?

Lazies.... lol

If they have the Style, it's probably under embargo.