Why did they switch from AMOLED to LCD?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You ordered two?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

No, I'm not sure why it attached two images. Everyone has been talking about the 15th as a delivery date but this is saying Sept 10. I thought that it was interesting.

As far as LCD is concerned...as long as if the battery life isn't impacted and it looks good then I don't care what screen they use.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
No, I'm not sure why it attached two images. Everyone has been talking about the 15th as a delivery date but this is saying Sept 10. I thought that it was interesting.

As far as LCD is concerned...as long as if the battery life isn't impacted and it looks good then I don't care what screen they use.
Oh yea your right. I got confirmation with sept 15. Maybe it may ship faster than we expected.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea your right. I got confirmation with sept 15. Maybe it may ship faster than we expected.

Think shipping date depends on model, some customizations ship faster than others. So it may not be the same day for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I prefer LCD screens as long as they don't have light bleed. That's my only worry about this panel. AMOLED rarely has light bleed, if at all.

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I prefer LCD screens as long as they don't have light bleed. That's my only worry about this panel. AMOLED rarely has light bleed, if at all.
Yeah light bleed might be an issue. I had to return my Note 10.1 2014 tablet as it had light bleed. The 2nd one I got was better but it still had it and easily noticeable in the dark but I ended up just sticking with it as I learned everyone who bought the tablet had sonm form of light bleed.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah light bleed might be an issue. I had to return my Note 10.1 2014 tablet as it had light bleed. The 2nd one I got was better but it still had it and easily noticeable in the dark but I ended up just sticking with it as I learned everyone who bought the tablet had sonm form of light bleed.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
I've had some good LCD panels with little to no bleed. But I've also run through a number of phones/tablets that were unbearable. I'm hoping they didn't just use a POS screen to save money as they're going to get a lot of returns on that if it's bad enough.

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
... Everyone has been talking about the 15th as a delivery date but this is saying Sept 10. I thought that it was interesting...

My preorder from Amazon also said the 10th. Perhaps they were just playing it safe with the 15th ship date before. Looking forward to next week :)

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
cost and samsung also doesn't seem to sell their newest panels to anyone so like before, moto would have been stuck with older panels.

also google's new UI is much lighter, so the power saving benefits of amoled aren't as prominent compared to the old holo UI elements.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
What actually happens? What does burn in look like? You mean like the status bar or on-screen buttons remain dimly visible?

The only AMOLED I've owned for a long time was my Razr Maxx HD, which even after 2.5+ years still looks OK... except for maybe a slight yellow-ish tint when viewing whites.

My first gen had it but I had to look for it, otherwise I never noticed. I think it bothers some people a great deal more than others.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On an all white screen on my AMOLED first gen Moto X, I can see the BACK/HOME/MULTITASK burned in at the bottom and status indicators burned in at the top.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I never noticed burn in with my Galaxy SII but perhaps I just didn't own it for long enough for it to become an issue.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Why did they switch from AMOLED to LCD? Because sometimes the good guys win. I joke, I joke! Well, kinda... Honestly, I am thrilled they've switched, and I hope they stick with IPS LCD for the next generation. I'd love to come home to Moto, but the last two gens AMOLED kept me away, and this gen I'm all about my G4.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I had amoled screen BlackBerry z30, s3, s6, moto x 2014, note 3, tab s, and never had a burn issue. I take care if my phone really well!

woknok

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Is the screen burn in coming from having a single screen standing still for too long? I have burn in spots on my galaxy s4, my next phone will have amoled. I like to know how I can prevent it

Posted via the Android Central App

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com
You can only delay it, blue pixels have shortest lifespan in OLED panels they will burn out sooner or later.
Remove status bar, most static icons are battery and clock
move your widgets and icons don't let them stay in one position on screen too long
rotate screen orientation often
Don't use one static wallpaper for too long
Don't use static screen for longer periods of time

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I saw that too . I too,,,was messing around with Moto Maker( the other day) putting in info as what I ordered and seeing a Sept 10 shipping date.
Tried same thing a few minutes later and it was back to a different date. I think it was a glitch

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
My preorder from Amazon also said the 10th. Perhaps they were just playing it safe with the 15th ship date before. Looking forward to next week :)

Last year my pre-order had a delivery date on Tuesday but arrived the preceding Friday. I'm guessing the 15th is just a safe date. Given that Amazon shows the release date as the 9th, I'm betting shipments will go out then and we'll start seeing people get their phones on Friday the 11th.

mountainman15

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Last year my pre-order had a delivery date on Tuesday but arrived the preceding Friday. I'm guessing the 15th is just a safe date. Given that Amazon shows the release date as the 9th, I'm betting shipments will go out then and we'll start seeing people get their phones on Friday the 11th.

That would be awesome, but we have to consider that the Moto Maker customized phones may take longer to deliver than the stock/base versions being sold on Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress