Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto X Pure Edition have overheating issues?

Yes that normal for Moto x pure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Moto X Pure get's hot

Welcome to Android Central! How's your cell signal? Poor cell signal can make the phone work harder to boost the signal, and therefore generate heat.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
In the back and also the display. The temperature rises to 104.3 F or 103.3F when just browsing the internet for a few minutes there is no apps in the background or any apps updating or any syncing. I even turned off the Moto features to save battery life but it gets hot and I barely got it yesterday. Should I return it and get my money back?

Sounds unusual, at least to me. Mine never gets warm while browsing or watching videos (only time it warmed up is when connected to the turbo charger). Cell signal is one possibility as mentioned above. I would at least try a factory reset before sending it back.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

To factory reset, go to settings, them backup & reset. Should find it there. Hope this helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I don't think you need a factory reset. Your battery stats show a weak cell signal, sometimes even nonexistent (red patches). As B. Diddy said this will generate more heat. Also check in the main battery screen which apps are on the top of the list.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Can you correlate when the phone got really hot with the times the cell signal was in the red? Or see if it gets hot when you have excellent signal.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I haven't used it to call since my original sim won't fit View attachment 201692
That's what my cell signal looks like.

What were you doing in the time frame before 5PM when the battery dropped like a rock?

As far a temperature, mine has never been above 100 F. That has only occurred when the battery is charging from below 35% and there is a short spike before it drops down. The phone as been what I would call warm but never anywhere near the temperature of my old Motorola Razr X [it was suffering from old age]. I rarely use the phone when it is charging.

Before I read posts I considered myself in the low to medium user range. Now I probably rank close to a non user compared to most of you. Calls, texts, camera, watch videos, less than 2GB of cell data, nearer 6 of WiFi data, simple games. It is rare that the phone feels warm. But as a retired senior citizen, I probably am not a typical user.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hang on a sec. You're getting that cell signal, and you don't have a SIM card in? Are you on Verizon or Sprint?

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

Today it didn't get hot at all. People have said to give it 6-7 days or charge cycles and today was day 7 for me. The battery life was markedly better than yesterday and there was no heating up today.
Will update if it starts up again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If the phone doesn't have a SIM card, I'm not sure how it's getting a cell signal. In any case, as long as you don't have a SIM card inserted, turn on Airplane Mode, which should eliminate Cell Standby as a problem. You can always turn wi-fi back on after you activate Airplane Mode.

blackberriquero

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks but I already returned to Motorola. Thanks for the help I really appreciated the help

Hi, please keep us informed if your problem is solve when you receive your new mxpe, I am deciding if buying it or not.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Here is mine while charging +youtube I hope its normal

View attachment 201973

Seems too warm. I got similar temps with the 25W charger when charging with less than 60% battery left. I went to my Samsung fast charger and no high heat issues. Might want to do the same test without charging to see if correlates to when charging.

maestreaux

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

Mine has been feeling warm so I downloaded GSam today to see. Got to 108 today just browsing the web. Not on charger. Normal?

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

Mine gets up around 110 when turbo charging. I think that's normal.
For the first 7 days I had it, it got up to 107 doing Web browsing and taking pictures. Day 8, that almost completely stopped. It's only gotten up to 100 twice in the last 4 days. Didn't even get hot when I recorded video the other night.
I've read that other people have had the same experience with it settling down after a week. Hope this helps.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

How hot would it need to get for the system to trigger errors or even shutdown?

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Mine has been feeling warm so I downloaded GSam today to see. Got to 108 today just browsing the web. Not on charger. Normal?

Don't think so. I had pretty much the same issue, even after three weeks, and returned it. Seems like there are some bad units out there. May try it out again in a month or two, hoping they fixed this issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty