Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Moto X Pure Edition (24.11.18)

ryantombasco

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow Hiccups

You should expect that with an encrypted SD card. SD speeds still don't match eMMC 5.x and definitely won't touch UFS 2.0. My UHS-I U3 card is about as fast as my 2013 Moto X's eMMC in sequential read/write (both unencrypted), but performance falls apart with random reads/writes. A lot of that is due to the integrated controller in the SD card. They've never been that great at handling random reads/writes.

My U3 card benches at 82MB/s read (seq), 28MB/s write (seq). Cut that in half (or more) when encrypted.
But with only some apps and not others? That's kind of random. Netflix and some resource hungry games run smooth as butter.. But amazon app acts like I'm trying to run it on an old Nokia brick phone.

ThatOneAndroid88

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I got the 6.0 Update I'm on AT&T

I can confirm I'm getting band 12.

Why don't I see the "Wifi Calling" feature in the 6.0 Update? The area I live in isn't the greatest coverage and I'm in the city too lol.

I thought we would see a wifi calling feature?

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Marshmallow and s'more

Ever since this update, my phone ready feels new again 😍
Anyone else have thoughts??

Posted via the Android Central App

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
But with only some apps and not others? That's kind of random. Netflix and some resource hungry games run smooth as butter.. But amazon app acts like I'm trying to run it on an old Nokia brick phone.

It just depends on what resources are being loaded from the SD card, I guess; tons of small files kill SD performance, while large ones get closer to sequential read/write speeds. You should definitely report the performance issues to app devs stating that you adopted your SD card as internal. Maybe they'll spend some time optimizing their builds for once.

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Why don't I see the "Wifi Calling" feature in the 6.0 Update? The area I live in isn't the greatest coverage and I'm in the city too lol.

We can request it from Motorola, but now that all carriers here in the US are rolling out Wifi calling, maybe we can get a universal version of Wifi calling that all carriers agree to (yeah ... I know). It's part of IMS services, and wouldn't take much to implement, but it might be up to carrier approval too. Google has agreements in place with T-Mobile, for example.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on it or ask AT&T on Twitter if Wifi calling is allowed to be implemented in the 2015 X Pure.

ThatOneAndroid88

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Tracfone with my Moto X pure but it uses AT&T service. I'll see if I can make a post on twitter about them setting up Wifi Calling.

I know that The IPhone 6 has that feature but it isn't fair to the majority of users using Android devices or other phones.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get the update without WiFi? I can't see an option to download it over LTE. I downloaded the Motorola Device Manager. It either says update is in progress already when I have the icon in the notification area of the phone, or it says there is no update when I cancel that. This is getting annoying.

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Got fed up of waiting for the update being a T-Mobile user. Pulling out the SIM did not work. So did a backup then an FDR in addition to that and got the update notification. Downloading at the moment.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

You mean band 17, right?

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Got fed up of waiting for the update being a T-Mobile user. Pulling out the SIM did not work. So did a backup then an FDR in addition to that and got the update notification. Downloading at the moment.

What's an FDR?

SO, once again, is the update working OK for those on T-Mobile who pulled the SIM to download, and did it enable Band 12 on T-Mobile?

EDIT: Nevermind, just was reading XDA and am pretty satisfied now about the answer (which is that it is OK, and there is Band 12). Will probably pull SIM once I get to the office and try to get it done! :)

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
What's an FDR?

SO, once again, is the update working OK for those on T-Mobile who pulled the SIM to download, and did it enable Band 12 on T-Mobile?

EDIT: Nevermind, just was reading XDA and am pretty satisfied now about the answer (which is that it is OK, and there is Band 12). Will probably pull SIM once I get to the office and try to get it done! :)

FDR=Factory Data Reset

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm almost certain MM will not improve the lag on this phone all that much. The problem is the crappy 808 processor Moto chose to use in the MXPE. Don't get me wrong, I love my pure, but I would have been MUCH happier if they just stayed with the 805. It is a much snappier processor, and even intense gaming barely gets it even a tad warm. Sure, the 808 may beat it in benchmark tests, but in real world use, the 805 makes the 808 feel slooow. I have a 1st edition Turbo and also had an N6, and they both fly compared to the MXPE. So unless Moto tweaks the processor code, I doubt MM will improve performance all that much.

805 handled processing in a different priority.. The 820 is supposed to go back to the prioritising processing

ryantombasco

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
It just depends on what resources are being loaded from the SD card, I guess; tons of small files kill SD performance, while large ones get closer to sequential read/write speeds. You should definitely report the performance issues to app devs stating that you adopted your SD card as internal. Maybe they'll spend some time optimizing their builds for once.
I shall do that.. I was surprised that the apps that were lagging for me were by major devs.. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Amazon.. Those would be apps that I'd think would have tons of resources poured into them as far as making sure that they run smooth.

Either way, I'm loving Android M. Much better than Lollipop which is still on my Samsung Tab S 8.4. (See ya later Samsung Tablet, lol.) I plan on getting a Chromebook in place of it. Something a little more intensive than a tablet would suit my needs better anyway (and I hate Windows PCs and tablets).

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
With every phone I have ever had I never had to do a factory reset after an upgrade/update. The only time I have ever done one was in preparation for selling the phone. Maybe I'm just lucky??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress