Safe to accept OTA with root and TWRP?

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm certainly no expert.
Is it safe to install the KitKat OTA if I have root access and TWRP (and unlocked bootloader)? I'm not worried about losing root since I only needed it to restore some things from my old phone, but I don't want to brick my phone with the update.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm certainly no expert.
Is it safe to install the KitKat OTA if I have root access and TWRP (and unlocked bootloader)? I'm not worried about losing root since I only needed it to restore some things from my old phone, but I don't want to brick my phone with the update.

On the Moto forums they've reported a large number of bricks from accepting the OTA if rooted.

Posted via Moto X

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
When rooting a device I always suggest making a backup prior to rooting. This way you can simply restore the stock ROM, flash stock recovery and be good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
When rooting a device I always suggest making a backup prior to rooting. This way you can simply restore the stock ROM, flash stock recovery and be good to go.

I gotta say: I'm SO glad I'm out of the ROMming business right now. That crap is tedious.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I gotta say: I'm SO glad I'm out of the ROMming business right now. That crap is tedious.

Actually I consider it quite straightforward and super simple. I can take most devices from stock to custom ROM/kernel in 5 min.

But yeah it can seem overwhelming. Once you get used to it, its cake.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say it was hard. It is pretty easy. It's just tedious.

Agreed. And maybe I'm neurotic but once I root and start fooling around, I always feel like the phone is never as crisp as it was pre-root. That sounds even more ridiculous as I type it.

Posted via Moto X

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. And maybe I'm neurotic but once I root and start fooling around, I always feel like the phone is never as crisp as it was pre-root. That sounds even more ridiculous as I type it.

Posted via Moto X

Yeah. Well you can always revert to a non rooted setup.

I didn't say it was hard. It is pretty easy. It's just tedious.

Depending on the phone. Nexus device =

Adb reboot bootloader
Fastboot oem unlock
Fastboot boot recovery.img (perform a backup with stock recovery)
Fastboot flash recovery twrp.IMG
(Perform another backup )

Then flash away whatever ROM,mod ,kernel , etc.

Done.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Depending on the phone. Nexus device =

Adb reboot bootloader
Fastboot oem unlock
Fastboot boot recovery.img (perform a backup with stock recovery)
Fastboot flash recovery twrp.IMG
(Perform another backup )

Done.

I've done it before on Nexus devices, thanks. And thanks, too, for posting some of the steps involved and proving that it is tedious.

With my Moto X, all I have to do is unlock my phone. Sometimes I have to reboot it.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I've done it before on Nexus devices, thanks. And thanks, too, for posting some of the steps involved and proving that it is tedious.

With my Moto X, all I have to do is unlock my phone. Sometimes I have to reboot it.

Other than installing drivers & SDK toolkits, those are all the commands involved.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess coming from years of Unix systems administration my definition of tedious may differ from that of most. To me, rooting and roming a nexus device is a walk in the park. But again some people don't have a need, so why do it ?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Other than installing drivers & SDK toolkits, those are all the commands involved.

Ahem.

And let's not ignore the maintenance involved, either, with the constant flashing of updates/nightlies/milestones/whatever.

Yes, it gets easier to do the more you get used to it, but at the end of the day, you still have to keep up with all the new developments with the ROM. That ****--flashing, maintenance, etc--all of it is tedious, particularly when compared to running a phone stock. No way around it.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Ahem.

And let's not ignore the maintenance involved, either, with the constant flashing of updates/nightlies/milestones/whatever.

Yes, it gets easier to do the more you get used to it, but at the end of the day, you still have to keep up with all the new developments with the ROM. That ****--flashing, maintenance, etc--all of it is tedious, particularly when compared to running a phone stock. No way around it.

There are several stable Roms out there. In fact , one could easily flash a custom ROM & kernel and never look back. Smart ? No. But hey. I enjoy what's involved.

For instance, I am using sense 5.5 already on my HTC one. Always fun to be ahead of the game. Although with my moto x, I can't unlock the boot loader and don't Care to root it.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm just happy to have a phone that I don't feel the need to root. The X is a first for that.

Posted via Moto X

Same here. I love rooting but don't feel the need for custom roms or kernels on this phone. Tho I do wish I had the ability. No unlockable bootloader on the att variant. Didn't want to spend the extra for the developer edition.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non