Voice cutting out on other end of call

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So I'm on my 2nd new moto x. Love the phone for everything but call quality for the person on the other end of my calls. People tell me they hear 2/3 of my conversation some times and that I cut out completely for less than a second. I hear them find on my end. I've searched and searched and found nothing that matches my problem with this phone, only on other hand sets such as the old galaxy nexus. I'm considering going to the HTC ONE now i'm so frustrated. Iv'e been on the phone with Verizon and Motorola for hours and received no help in resolving the issue. Iv'e tried everything. The phone is bone stock, no apps other than what came on the phone. The odd thing is that some calls are perfectly fine while others are terrible. Makes no sense as to why its doing this and the location I'm in related to signal strength or towers does not matter. Anyone else have this problem or a solution? Also my 14 days ends Tuesday.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I do not know what to tell you. All I know is that no one has a problem hearing me on my Verizon Moto X.

Sent from my Moto X via Android Central app

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
People tell me they hear 2/3 of my conversation some times and that I cut out completely for less than a second.

It's a stretch, but since the microphone is on the front of the phone, are you sure it's not getting pressed against your face or anything?

No problems when making calls other than my voice isn't quite as loud as it was on my GNex.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have had the same problem. With that issue and battery life that is not very good (if you use the phone at all), mine is probably going back.

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
OK here's an update. After almost two hours on the phone with Verizon I'm getting an HTC one and sending my moto x back. Long story short I had trouble since my first return was still in transit. I really like this phone other than the calling problem. The HTC is my second choice but I can't risk another problem. Verizon is impossible to deal with. Also now I may lose my unlimited data. I did the transfer to a different phone then a hand set swap and kept my unlimited data. The email they sent me shows 2G data now. Still shows unlimited on my account online but I suppose its not updated. To say the least I'm very upset. I've been an android central user for years but never post. I can always search and find a resolution to my problem until now. If anyone knows of a solution I'd still like to keep this phone. The new one will be here wed.

Posted via Android Central App

luckydwg

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem on my AT&T Moto X from Moto maker. I wanted the 32 so I am returning the 16 with the mic or radio problem as soon as the new one arrives and hope the new one will be bug free. I created a thread a last week but nobody responded. I am glad I am not going nuts.

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a bad batch of phones. Hope your replacement phone is bug free. With only a couple of us reporting this problem so far I find it odd that even my replacement phone was bad. I'm guessing this problem is more widespread than it appears and I expect more posts on it.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
What was interesting for me was that I was talking to AT&T when it was noted quite frequently. I was in a full signal area with no background noise and the guy (from the overseas call center) kept saying that the phone was cutting out. I have since had other people say the same thing. It might be a noise cancellation issue.

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue on the phone with Verizon. They documented it well with the several calls I've made. I tried covering the rear mic and being in noisy verse quiet areas, changing the voice privacy etc. Nothing helps. The odd thing is that some calls are clear. Also while in speaker phone it works better. Not sure if this is a hardware issue with the mic or software.

anon(5716633)

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with two different phones as well. My first Moto X was on AT&T. On the first call I made, my friend kept talking over me and asking me to repeat myself. I didn't understand why he would keep interrupting me. I thought maybe he was just in a poor signal area because I had a full signal. After that call I talked to my sister and later my mom. Both of them said that almost every other word was cutting out. I believe that it is a problem with the noise cancellation feature. I found that if the caller muted their phone, they could hear every single word I said. That makes me think it has something to do with feedback and noise cancellation. I tried with speakerphone and it was the same. If I used a headset, it was perfect. I returned it and decided to get a Moto X on Verizon. The first call I made was to my mom, and it was the same. She said that not only was it cutting out words like before, but now the words that she could hear were being clipped. I took it back and decided not to exchange it. I'm perplexed how I could get two bad phones on two carriers while others are saying they have no problems at all.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
That is consistent with my call to AT&T. There was a lot of background noise on the other end that may have been causing my phone to cut out when I talked. If so, that is not good. You cannot control how much noise is on the other end.

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow it sounds like this issue may be common with the phone. Possible major flaw in the phone or software? Not good for Google/Motorola. Even worse for us! I'm curious now how long this thread will become.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
So far I've had no serious problems...but it does help explain why my SO keeps talking over me. I'm gonna have to start asking people how well I'm coming through.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
This sounds no bueno. I encountered this for the first time today but I want to blame 2 things and hopefully one or both is the situation. First, i was sitting in a corner where I only have 1-2 bars. Second, I was on a wired headset with the phone being waved around with my hands near the keyboard on a desk. Soooo I will make some more calls to test it out and hopefully I dont have a faulty phone.

123Moto

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Moto X one week and it is clipping ends off words and shows very low signal bars, almost always just one or two bars. I like the phone but this one is going back before the 14 period. i use verizon. Any ideas why this is happening?

jboutdoorguy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine from Verizon for a few days. Only made a few calls so far but one of them was cutting out for the person on the other end. I have 1 or 2 bars in areas where my old droid x always had 3 or 4. I do not know technical specs well but does this phone have an antenna as good as the old droid x? I have been holding out for this phone since the very first rumors started now this. Are the new droids any better? I really like the size of the x so switching to a different phone would be a bummer for that.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if this is more likely a software issue than a hardware issue? Or vice versa. This would be such a bummer if they couldn?t fix it. Not sure if mine has it, still in transit. ;)

joelski#CB

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if this is more likely a software issue than a hardware issue? Or vice versa. This would be such a bummer if they couldn?t fix it. Not sure if mine has it, still in transit. ;)

I wish I knew. I really like the phone a lot! looking at some old posts from phones such as the galaxy nexus people couldn't find a solution with software. So if its hardware related there is no fix until Motorola fixes it. And, its happening on more than one network which makes me believe it could be hardware. I will have an HTC ONE tomorrow. My first choice was the moto x and sure will miss it but with two bad hand sets I can't take the risk. Also I think there are far more people with this problem and they don't even realize it because the person on the other end may think its a bad signal and not say anything.