Need advice on off contract Moto X please

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've searched for this but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I apologize if this has been asked before.

I've been with Sprint ever since I got my first smart phone so I'm new to this whole off contract business. I recently signed with AT&T but I am still within my 14 days and with the recent drop in the price of the Moto X I'm considering my options.

I like to root my phone so I'm wondering if I need to go with the developer edition or if any of the off contract models would be unlocked. Also, any other advice regarding contract vs off contract (pros, cons, etc.) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

NoAck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, the T-Mobile Motomaker version is unlocked. It should also work on AT&T.

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Noack!

Would the developer version be easier to root than the T-Mobile version?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Noack!

They are essentially the same model. The Dev edition allows you to keep a warranty through Motorola even with an unlocked bootloader whereas the T-Mobile version will not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks Ben! That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. I'm not overly crazy about the black and white design of the developer edition but that sounds like just what I need.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Noack!

Yes, developer edition is easy to unlock and root.

I think the same is true with T-Mobile version but ATT version might not be easy

You must also know that if you unlock and root Dev edition you WONT void the warranty but it might not be true with T-Mobile version

notserpmh

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've searched for this but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I apologize if this has been asked before.

I've been with Sprint ever since I got my first smart phone so I'm new to this whole off contract business. I recently signed with AT&T but I am still within my 14 days and with the recent drop in the price of the Moto X I'm considering my options.

I like to root my phone so I'm wondering if I need to go with the developer edition or if any of the off contract models would be unlocked. Also, any other advice regarding contract vs off contract (pros, cons, etc.) would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

As far as contract vs off contract goes, I've found that off contract generally saves a ton of money. If you are looking into get an unlocked moto maker or something without the carrier subsidy anyway, then for sure go off contract. The best way to figure the math is to do the unlocked, no contract price + 24 months service vs contract price + 24 months service.

The one bad thing about off contract is that signal and data speed seem to vary a lot more by where you live than the big contract carriers. Since it is off contract though, if you try someone and their coverage is bad in your area, you can switch the next month and generally your only extra cost would be a new sim card (varies by carrier).

If you don't talk a lot, but use a lot of data, look into the T-Mobile $30 online 100 minutes, unlimited text, 5 GB 4G data, then unlimited 3g data plan.

I talk more than that and use bit less data so I'm currently on MetroPCS $40 unlimited minutes, unlimited text, 500 GB 4G data, then unlimited 3G data. I'm also in D/FW and rarely travel, so I get great coverage with Metro. That said, since the T-Mobile merger, Metro coverage has recently improved drastically. Before I could almost always get voice and text, but often no data. Since the merger, I took a trip to Arkansas through Oklahoma and had 4G data speeds probably 90% of the way. It only really dropped out when I was in the middle of no where and I still could make calls or texts if needed.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a post paid, not pre paid no contract with AT&T. They do offer no contract plans. speed and reliability are the same. Don't get confused with their pre paid plans. Which sometimes are considered as the step child of the carriers plans.. I came from T-Mobile. I'm currently on AT&T no contract shared data unlim talk and text. And since I brought my own devices I receive 15$ off of each phone line.

I would buy direct from Moto and get the T-Mobile version. It's carrier unlocked and works flawlessly on AT&T.

Tapatalk via Moto X

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your advice everyone! I ordered the unlocked developer edition Moto X so I'm free to go wherever I want and I can root without voiding the warranty. =D

It should be arriving tomorrow. I've been looking at GoPhone vs the new Aio plans and I think I'm going to just go with GoPhone for the first month. Apparently Aio is having some incompatibility issues with KitKat.

I've also considered the post paid plan at AT&T but it looks like it would be about $20 a month more than the pre paid. Has anybody had any luck negotiating down the post paid no contract rates at AT&T?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87