Considering Moto X. Would like user opinions

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello all

I'm considering getting a moto x for my next phone and would like to hear the opinions of people who owns the device.

I currently own a Blackberry Z10 and have become disillusioned with the way Blackberry 10 is working and am looking at Android as an alternative. So if there are any ex BB10 users now rocking a Moto X it would be great to hear your opinions too.

The things i find important are:

Messaging - I use my phone to communicate primarily. This is why i have stuck with Blackberry for so long as the focus on messaging has always been optimal for my experience. I dont think i will get the same experience with a Moto X as i would with Blackberry, but the Active Display feature certainly looks to minimise the void. From what i understand any app can use this feature. It looks like it could work well for me.

Calls - Again Blackberry have always been great with call quality, but Motorola also enjoys a similar reputation. i've not heard anything too specific about the Moto X in this category though.

Battery Life- Blackberry used to be all about battery life, but the Z10's staying power is awful. I'm probably a medium to heavy user and would like my phone to last from 8am to around 9pm if possible. The battery reports on the Moto X have been mixed so would like to hear real users opinons.

Notifications - By this i mean things like ringers and vibrations. I could customise all this on Blackberry but the Z10 ringer volume is woefully inadequate. Would i be able to hear the Moto X ring if its in my pocket and i'm in a noisy bar?

Games- I tend to value battery over gaming so i steer clear of hardcore games and then to choose casual games that can fill a few minutes. for example The Sims free to play is one i regularly play. I'm assuming the Moto X can handle all this with no problem?

Music player - i use my phone as a MP3 player. the Z10 music playback left a lot to be desired. How is the Moto X in this area?

I'm not fully decided on the Moto X, I am considering the Sony Z1 too. Would people recommend one over the other? I prefer the Moto X's size and larger screens tend to be a negative point for me.

So thanks in advance to everyone who replies :)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not fully decided on the Moto X, I am considering the Sony Z1 too. Would people recommend one over the other? I prefer the Moto X's size and larger screens tend to be a negative point for me.

If size is much of a consideration, then get the Moto X. The size is wonderful, and it will do well in terms of your other requirements (not sure about hearing it in a bar, though). You are correct in that the Moto X is fine for casual gaming. I can even play Riptide GP2 on mine without issue. The battery life on my X is fantastic. I've gotten 32+ hours on one charge.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a blackberry since the curve but one thing I would say is that be wary of the battery claims. In my experience with real world use as a heavy user I get better battery life than my gs3 but can't get through a full day. You're experience may be different but based on the hype I expected to not have to plug in during the day but that's not the case. It's a very good phone but not without its limitations. I'm sure active display is great but because of my company's security policy it's rendered useless. Good luck with your decision.

Posted via Android Central App

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What carrier are you on? If Verizon and battery life it important, you may want to consider the Droid Maxx. Has the same features (active notifications, touchless control, and twist to launch the camera) as the X with a much larger battery. I returned my X for the Maxx because with my usage patterns and locations, the X was barely making it to 6pm. The Maxx can go till 6pm the next day.

Many messaging options. Regular texting, Hangouts, even the BB messenger app.

Both the X and Maxx were/are very good for calls

The vibrate on both was/is pretty strong so you should feel it if you're in a noisy location. Ringtones themselves are very customizable. You can set them by contact. There are apps to make your own from songs.

No issues for games.

Lots of options for music. All the streaming services are supported. One thing to consider is that if you want your music stored on the device, both the X and Maxx are limited to 32GB (no SD card slot). With the music local to the phone, there are lots of different music player apps to choose from if you don't like the stock one.

darkehawke

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What carrier are you on? If Verizon and battery life it important, you may want to consider the Droid Maxx. Has the same features (active notifications, touchless control, and twist to launch the camera) as the X with a much larger battery. I returned my X for the Maxx because with my usage patterns and locations, the X was barely making it to 6pm. The Maxx can go till 6pm the next day.

Many messaging options. Regular texting, Hangouts, even the BB messenger app.

Both the X and Maxx were/are very good for calls

The vibrate on both was/is pretty strong so you should feel it if you're in a noisy location. Ringtones themselves are very customizable. You can set them by contact. There are apps to make your own from songs.

No issues for games.

Lots of options for music. All the streaming services are supported. One thing to consider is that if you want your music stored on the device, both the X and Maxx are limited to 32GB (no SD card slot). With the music local to the phone, there are lots of different music player apps to choose from if you don't like the stock one.

I'm actually in the UK and i do not believe the Droid Maxx has made its way here.
I would also be limited to the 16GB version as i dont think the 32 will be available from launch.

Thank you for the information and the suggestion though :)

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Messaging - I use my phone to communicate primarily. This is why i have stuck with Blackberry for so long as the focus on messaging has always been optimal for my experience. I dont think i will get the same experience with a Moto X as i would with Blackberry, but the Active Display feature certainly looks to minimise the void. From what i understand any app can use this feature. It looks like it could work well for me.
Non-issue. I used to have a Blackberry, have since converted to Android, and have never looked back. The addition of BBM to the Play store should be a huge bonus for you. Typing on the Moto X hasn't been an issue for me either, and I've got pretty big hands. Chances are you'll be able to find a keyboard, whether stock or third party, that will suit you.
Calls - Again Blackberry have always been great with call quality, but Motorola also enjoys a similar reputation. i've not heard anything too specific about the Moto X in this category though.
This is going to be largely dependent on your network area, but I've had no issues with call quality or reception.
Battery Life- Blackberry used to be all about battery life, but the Z10's staying power is awful. I'm probably a medium to heavy user and would like my phone to last from 8am to around 9pm if possible. The battery reports on the Moto X have been mixed so would like to hear real users opinons.
With heavy use, I can usually get 14-16 hours with 4 hours of screen on time. With moderate (normal) use, my battery life hovers around 24 hours. With minimal use, I've been able to go almost two full days on a single charge. WiFi helps.
Notifications - By this i mean things like ringers and vibrations. I could customise all this on Blackberry but the Z10 ringer volume is woefully inadequate. Would i be able to hear the Moto X ring if its in my pocket and i'm in a noisy bar?
The speaker gets pretty loud. Sometimes annoyingly so if Google Now is shouting at you. I usually have vibrate on with my ringer as an added notification, and the vibration on the Moto X is frickin' wild. Don't know if you'll be able to hear it in a loud social setting, but you'll definitely feel it.
Games- I tend to value battery over gaming so i steer clear of hardcore games and then to choose casual games that can fill a few minutes. for example The Sims free to play is one i regularly play. I'm assuming the Moto X can handle all this with no problem?
I don't play a lot of games, so I can't help you too much. The ones I have played, though, have run flawlessly. (Monster Truck Destruction is the only one I remember. Fun for about 15 minutes.)
Music player - i use my phone as a MP3 player. the Z10 music playback left a lot to be desired. How is the Moto X in this area?
Through the speaker or through headphones? The speaker is better than most. Through headphones is just as you'd expect anything else to be.
If form factor is a sticking point, then you've already made your decision.

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Form factor is good, I came from an iPhone 5s, my girl got me the Dev edition for my b-day and I have to say I live the phone, I tired an s4 when it was time to upgrade and ended up exchanging for they iPhone, used iPhones since the 4 came out, but now after getting the x haven't thought about going back, size was a bug issue to me because I ski and hiking rails all day with a brick in my pocket wouldn't be fun, but this is perfect footprint to screen size on my opinion, touchless controls are a great when driving, and then active notifications are prolly my favorite feature,

Coming from an iPhone was used to a smooth ui so I really noticed the lag with the s4 the x feels just as smooth as iOS and the stock os is better than touch wiz in my mind

I got the Dev because I always jail broke my iPhones but I would consider a darker color the soft touch back is a dream

I know I just rambled about my love for this phone, hope something helped, cause u have to do what's good for you ever user is different I never thought id use android but I am here to stay, so much more I can do with this phone. Now I understand what i was missing

bjbolduc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is a personal phone for my own use.
Messaging -- I had a blackberry for business (and now a S3 for work) If the keyboard and text entry is your primary uses, then I would suggest something with a physical keyboard. That I do miss on the Blackberry. You have to be the judge if a physical keyboard is needed.
Calls - Good sound
Battery life - very good - can do 1 - 2 days (depending on use) without charging. If you are spending a lot of time with the screen on (as opposed to music), then its closer to 1 day.
From a music and gaming perspective, the Moto is very good
Gaming- as far as I can tell, the Moto X can run all android games - my son said Riptide GP2 is the most taxing on an android device and this runs it smoothly.
Music - good apps and sound quality from music downloaded, music streaming or podcasts.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
As for the ringer, mine is very loud. My kids think I need to change it because its so loud. I have the standard telephone ring. I can also feel the vibrate so much better than on my iPhone 4s.

I've had mine less than a week and was not impressed with the battery. It was dying so fast but everyone said give it a week and it has gotten much better. I don't need to charge it in the middle of the day anymore.

I've only played Pandora on it once but have listened to other things and the sound is good. No complaints. My only complaint is the camera.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Messaging - I've never used a Blackberry so can't compare really but the default keyboard is AWESOME and works extremely well as either a type or swype keyboard. And if you don't like it you could always change to something else.

Calls - Outstanding call quality. As if they were there in the room with you. No issues here at all.

Battery Life- I consistently get 24 hours on a charge with medium use (5-6 hours screen time). So no issues here either. I think you'll be happy.

Notifications - I don't think you would hear it in a noisy bar. You might feel the vibration though.

Games- are no issue. It will run whatever is out there right now.

Music player - I am not sure exactly what you are asking in this regard. There are plenty of music player apps out there to choose from. Or music services. The audio quality is good. I use Spotify and the controls are on the lockscreen which is nice. So I think it is fine in the music department as well.

The form factor of the Moto X is great! It fits in the hand perfectly yet still has a relatively good sized screen so you can actually see things.

I just don't think you can go wrong with the Moto X. Plus if you are in the U.S. you get to choose what it looks like even. I think it's a great choice and one of the best phones you can buy right now. The camera could be better and I do think that is it's weakest points, but overall it is a great device. I really don't have any huge complaints with it.

Phalgun Gujjar

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I think u should look at nexus 5 rather than motox. There surely should be a replacement for moto x coming soon. So would you want to be stuck on an older device ?

Sent from my HTC One

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep ur right. But what I meant is nexus 5 will be newer longer.

Sent from my HTC One

Only by a matter of a few months. Not sure why that is so important to some people. The criteria should be if a phone does everything you need it to. Not which one was last released.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think u should look at nexus 5 rather than motox. There surely should be a replacement for moto x coming soon. So would you want to be stuck on an older device ?

Sent from my HTC One

Not if he wants a smaller phone and better battery life. The nexus doesn't match what he says he cares about.

I never used a BlackBerry, but I used phones with physical keyboards, and I am a heavy email/tapatalk user. On days when I use the Moto X A lot, it runs out of power in the evening. On days when I use it less it's good until bedtime. I miss physical keys, but I have grown to love Swype, which is smooth and quick and surprisingly accurate.

Reception on this phone is very good. Volume is very good. Sound quality is pretty good. Simple games play fine. It is very comfortable in the hand and pocket. (I recommend one of the soft-touch backs, which I think includes the basic black one.)

I think it's a good for for what you are looking for.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yep ur right. But what I meant is nexus 5 will be newer longer.

Sent from my HTC One
What does that even mean? The Nexus 5 came out after the Moto X so it will forever be "newer."

The Moto X is a great phone. When the next iteration is released, it won't change that fact. I know some people are in pursuit of the newest and shiniest, but you're seriously confusing the issue of utility. Is the iPhone 5 a worse phone since the release of the 5s? No. It's exactly the same phone as it was before.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
What does that even mean? The Nexus 5 came out after the Moto X so it will forever be "newer."

The Moto X is a great phone. When the next iteration is released, it won't change that fact. I know some people are in pursuit of the newest and shiniest, but you're seriously confusing the issue of utility. Is the iPhone 5 a worse phone since the release of the 5s? No. It's exactly the same phone as it was before.

right to the point!!!

I was a blackberry user for 3 years(work) but was always interested in Android. I like nexus devices purely because its vanilla android and got faster update.

So i got myself a Nexus S and later Nexus 4... After i got my X i realised that the only phone I love apart from my Nexus(I chose to go with X rather than N5) is my Moto X.

X has vanilla Android and will get faster update... with GPE G, X will only get faster with updates..

X just feels great on hand

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I will weigh in: I have a Nexus 5 and a Moto X, both on Sprint. Push cones to shove, I often pick the X over the N5 for 2 reasons. 1, better cell radios and 2, better battery life.

To the OP, you won't be disappointed with an X.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress