fingerprint sensor doesn't always unlock phone

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've got the fingerprint sensor set to unlock the phone when I use it. I also have my home wifi set as a smart lock location, so if I'm at home I shouldn't have to unlock the phone. Yet, sometimes, even when I use the fingerprint sensor, it brings up the pin unlock for me to use in order to unlock the phone. Not only should I not have to use my pin because of being at a smart lock location, but I'm using the fingerprint sensor for the sole purpose of not having to use my pin. This has happened both at home and away, so it's not a smart lock issue.

Anybody else have this going on? I can't figure out what situation is causing it to force me to unlock with my pin even when using the fingerprint sensor.

Posted via the Android Central App

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Anytime the phone has been turned off it will make you use the pin (or what ever other method you have set up) the first time you unlock it after turning it back on.

Could this be the case? Other then those times mine has worked great.

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Anytime the phone has been turned off it will make you use the pin (or what ever other method you have set up) the first time you unlock it after turning it back on.

+1

Other than having to enter my pin on restarts, the fingerprint sensor has worked consistently well for me. I came from an iphone and am very impressed with how quickly the sensor works.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
No issues at all. Besides having to use the pin after a restart as previously mentioned. Works Everytime. Moto nailed the fingerprint sensor.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The only error I've ever run into was one saying "too fast." It's never thrown me over to the PIN pad.

Maybe try disabling smart location FIRST, then testing the sensor unlock? Maybe that combo is causing some kind of conflict?

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I discovered that it does the pinpad on a restart but it is definitely doing it even without a restart. I still can't figure out if there is some particular thing that is causing it. As of now it seems random.

One thing I've tried is using the fingerprint sensor to lock it again when I see the pinpad, then trying to unlock again with the fingerprint sensor. No luck, even after multiple attempts.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
+1

Other than having to enter my pin on restarts, the fingerprint sensor has worked consistently well for me. I came from an iphone and am very impressed with how quickly the sensor works.

I'm very pleased with the sensor overall, especially the speed and the flexibility of the positioning of my finger on the sensor. Just can't figure out this pesky pinpad thing.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The only error I've ever run into was one saying "too fast." It's never thrown me over to the PIN pad.

Maybe try disabling smart location FIRST, then testing the sensor unlock? Maybe that combo is causing some kind of conflict?

I'll try it and report back. Seems to make sense that I wouldn't need smart lock anyway since the fingerprint is the secure way to unlock.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Huh. Turns out the smart lock location for my house wasn't even turned on. I hadn't noticed before that in the smart lock settings the location that showed my address was grayed out. When I clicked on it I was given an option to turn it on. So, I just turned it on and we'll see if that affects the fingerprint sensor going to pinpad problem.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I discovered that it does the pinpad on a restart but it is definitely doing it even without a restart. I still can't figure out if there is some particular thing that is causing it. As of now it seems random.

One thing I've tried is using the fingerprint sensor to lock it again when I see the pinpad, then trying to unlock again with the fingerprint sensor. No luck, even after multiple attempts.

Maybe you should exchange it, doesn't seem like a common problem.

Elphie123

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I have had loads of trouble the the sensor. It rarely works consistently. When I clear the fingerprints and try to reset them, it keeps saying that the sensor may be dirty "wipe and try again". I clean it to no avail until it works again for some weird reason. Then it stops working again. Frustrating, but fortunately I don't have a problem using my pin to unlock my phone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have had loads of trouble the the sensor. It rarely works consistently. When I clear the fingerprints and try to reset them, it keeps saying that the sensor may be dirty "wipe and try again". I clean it to no avail until it works again for some weird reason. Then it stops working again. Frustrating, but fortunately I don't have a problem using my pin to unlock my phone.

That is not the norm for this phone. I was having a problem with one thumb but it was how I was using it. Reset it and no problems.

I have 5 fingers set up and they all work with no problems. So you should think about replacing it.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It definitely sounds like your sensor is defective. I would return your phone for a new one, or factory reset. Unless you really don't care about it.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
A trick I used with the iPhone is to register the same finger/thumb print twice.

Personally speaking, my fingerprint scanner has been flawless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38