10-05-2016 04:01 PM
486 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I regret getting the MXPE rather than waiting for the Nexus 6P. I had terrible customer service from Moto when my MXPE died after only 6 months. They were so inept that they sent me a brick (never removed Google account of original owner prior to doing FDR on refurb and sending it to me). I can understand ordinary users forgetting about FRP, but an Android OEM should know better!

It took me 3 weeks to receive a usable device.

They also mislead customers regarding shipping charges. They claim RMA shipping is free. Granted, it is not expensive, but FedEx did charge me both times (to send back my original defective device and the refurb brick).
    Laura, remember the comment I made about my buddy in Atlanta and his rather abysmal experience sending his Nexus 6 in for repair?

Long story short, he got the 6 from another friend from California. It had some burn-in. He sent it off to Motorola for repairs. A week later, it came back in worse condition than it was when it was sent off as the burn-in was worse. After some angry phone calls, which eventually reached upper-management, he managed to get it fixed after 2 weeks.

And they wonder why they're getting sued for customer support.

If you're wondering what happened to the Nexus 6 now, he traded it along with a 5X back to the guy he got the 6 from in exchange for his 6P.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 02:23 PM
    I regret getting the MXPE rather than waiting for the Nexus 6P. I had terrible customer service from Moto when my MXPE died after only 6 months. They were so inept that they sent me a brick (never removed Google account of original owner prior to doing FDR on refurb and sending it to me). I can understand ordinary users forgetting about FRP, but an Android OEM should know better!

It took me 3 weeks to receive a usable device.

They also mislead customers regarding shipping charges. They claim RMA shipping is free. Granted, it is not expensive, but FedEx did charge me both times (to send back my original defective device and the refurb brick).
    To be fair, we have to remember that the mxpe was a phone designed by Motorola under Google but sold by a completely different company. From talking to some folks I know who used to work for Motorola, that whole transition was pretty rough.

That still doesn't excuse any of your issues, but we should have expected them.
    Laura Knotek and Aquila like this.
    06-10-2016 02:36 PM
    I like the phone. I'm getting it. The only thing I don't like is the small battery and the square finger print scanner.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-10-2016 02:40 PM
    To be fair, we have to remember that the mxpe was a phone designed by Motorola under Google but sold by a completely different company. From talking to some folks I know who used to work for Motorola, that whole transition was pretty rough.

That still doesn't excuse any of your issues, but we should have expected them.
    I thought the sale went through in 2014. Would a 2015 device still be affected by a transition that occurred over a year previously?
    06-10-2016 02:41 PM
    I thought the sale went through in 2014. Would a 2015 device still be affected by a transition that occurred over a year previously?

All of last year's Moto phones were still Google's. Not sure exactly what the terms of the sale were there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 02:45 PM
    All of last year's Moto phones were still Google's. Not sure exactly what the terms of the sale were there.
    Any inside info on whether or not the MotoMods were a Lenovo mandate or did they start with Motorola? Their loose relationship with Project Ara leads me to believe this was the direction Motorola was going even before Lenovo was in the picture.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 02:50 PM
    Any inside info on whether or not the MotoMods were a Lenovo mandate or did they start with Motorola? Their loose relationship with Project Ara leads me to believe this was the direction Motorola was going even before Lenovo was in the picture.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Nothing. Everyone I used to know at Moto now works for Google becasue they weren't "bought" employees by Lenovo. Haven't been able to find anyone to connect with the same way at Lenovo, but I'm still trying. It;s fun to know things I can't talk about
    Aquila, Laura Knotek, Ry and 1 others like this.
    06-10-2016 02:56 PM
    I am of the belief that until we have a major security incident or breach, not just a "scare", none of these manufacturers will take security as important as they should. Sad, but true? Thoughts?
    You're probably correct. Stagefright got everyone briefly up in arms about updating phones, but nothing major came of it damage-wise. Google's rumored update shaming probably won't have long-term effects, either. Until someone figures out how to actively exploit a security hole and cause serious damage or hijinks (thus potentially opening up companies to lawsuits), the current lackluster response to security updates won't change.
    06-10-2016 02:58 PM
    I'm still holding out for the Nexus phone announcements, but wasn't there word of an included 3.5mm adapter for the USB-C port? I've been using bluetooth for awhile now, but this doesn't seem that different to me than any other advancement of input/output tech, except this one is supposedly encapsulating them all.

The shortcoming here, best as I can tell, isn't the exclusion of a 3.5mm audio jack, but the inclusion of only one USB-C port. If it's going to be a do everything port, phones need to come equipped with two by default.
    06-10-2016 02:59 PM
    I'm still holding out for the Nexus phone announcements, but wasn't there word of an included 3.5mm adapter for the USB-C port? I've been using bluetooth for awhile now, but this doesn't seem that different to me than any other advancement of input/output tech, except this one is supposedly encapsulating them all.

The shortcoming here, best as I can tell, isn't the exclusion of a 3.5mm audio jack, but the inclusion of only one USB-C port. If it's going to be a do everything port, phones need to come equipped with two by default.
    Yes. There will be an adapter for USB > 3.5mm in the box. We have no details and they didn't have one to show us, so we don;t know if it's also a USB passthrough so you can have it plugged in and charging at the same time — which is possible (and easier to do) with USB C.

And yes, this is an advancement. Moto did it first, but everyone will be doing it eventually. It;s actually better in the long run. The issue is that nobody is ready for it, and USB-C headphones are expensive. And adapters suck
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 03:03 PM
    And yes, this is an advancement. Moto did it first, but everyone will be doing it eventually. It;s actually better in the long run. The issue is that nobody is ready for it, and USB-C headphones are expensive. And adapters suck
    The main issue with adapters is using them when mobile. Carrying around more stuff isn't convenient, and it's something else to lose or forget. Yes, I know the adapters are small, but the small size just makes them easier to lose or leave in my pocket and run through the washer.
    06-10-2016 03:10 PM
    The main issue with adapters is using them when mobile. Carrying around more stuff isn't convenient, and it's something else to lose or forget. Yes, I know the adapters are small, but the small size just makes them easier to lose or leave in my pocket and run through the washer.
    I probably lost 10 adapters back when HTC used them. Not going back to that situation.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 03:13 PM
    I really want it, but I'm not so sure I'm willing to wait until Fall to buy it, since I'm on T-Mo. If I could buy it next month I definitely would. Now I'm not so sure. I'll probably go with the next Samsung Note if it's not junk, and it's rootable. Man, I really don't know. Every one of the launches has some kind of "Gotcha!" that's pretty big these days. Nobody can seem to just release a good all around phone anymore, at a good price. Getting sick of $600+ phones.
    06-10-2016 03:32 PM
    I really want it, but I'm not so sure I'm willing to wait until Fall to buy it, since I'm on T-Mo. If I could buy it next month I definitely would. Now I'm not so sure. I'll probably go with the next Samsung Note if it's not junk, and it's rootable. Man, I really don't know. Every one of the launches has some kind of "Gotcha!" that's pretty big these days. Nobody can seem to just release a good all around phone anymore, at a good price. Getting sick of $600+ phones.
    I wouldn't count on any future T-Mobile branded phones being rootable.

Regardless of what the CEO says on Twitter, locking them up isn't an accident and was a direct request from the company.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 03:35 PM
    That is certainly your way of looking at it but most tech companies start quite the opposite way. They don't always have a clear plan on how to drive revenue and worry about that later. When companies get big and they have a board, members do become focused on bottom line and getting their next big house and/or yacht. But it really takes a balance of both to run a company right. And happy customers rarely hurt the bottom line but the opposite does.

You should read this article that just came out and shows what happens when you ignore happiness in customers and employees in a company:
    United CEO Oscar Munoz: Board too isolated to see airline's slide

"Jim Jackson, a United shareholder, said he stopped flying United five years ago because he was frustrated with bad customer service, especially by flight attendants. He now flies Delta and American, he said."

P.S.
    stanleywinthrop, I doubt you run your own business like me and the people I know but we saw people with your attitude never succeed when they tried to start their own business.
    Most tech companies? Maybe? But successful cell phone manufacturers? Do you think Samsung and Apple have a clear plan on how to make more money?

You can't equate a start up tech company to a billion dollar phone maker. And who says Motorola is ignoring customers? Sure they are ignoring you and maybe another dozen others on this thread, but how do you have any idea what the majority of cell phone customers want/need in phone? Do you have access to Motorola or even Samsung's market research?

The strongest data i have is that Motorola wasn't making money previously and they have changed things significantly. Apparently those changes are not to your liking. No big deal to me. But you are screaming and screaming on here about now that they are not making phones to your liking they must be on the path to failure. I got news for you motorola has been on the path to failure for at least the last 3 years. In whatever business you own, surely you must understand the import of profit and loss.
    06-10-2016 03:39 PM
    Anyone have any info about the add on battery specs/prices???? If already mentioned I haven't seen it.
    06-10-2016 03:39 PM
    Anyone have any info about the add on battery specs/prices???? If already mentioned I haven't seen it.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ower-pack.html
    Aquila likes this.
    06-10-2016 04:04 PM
    I wouldn't count on any future T-Mobile branded phones being rootable.

Regardless of what the CEO says on Twitter, locking them up isn't an accident and was a direct request from the company.
    That would mean I'm done buying those phones. Even if I don't root, I'm not paying money for something I *can't* modify if I wanted to.
    06-10-2016 04:07 PM
    This video might make you kids feel better. I know it did me.

Moto Z and Moto Z Force hands on - Android Authority
    06-10-2016 04:37 PM
    Don't like it and aside from the modular aspect, which is a bit inconvenient for me, its like any other phone, just uglier. The humongous rear stepping camera is hideous. The front home button or what ever that may be looks like something from the older blackberries.
    06-10-2016 05:00 PM
    I've been a loyal Moto customer for years, from an early Droid (yes, I'm on verizon), then to a Moto X 2013 (1st Gen) to a Moto X Pure now (with a short detour to a Samsung Galaxy 2). I was hoping one of the Z's would be my next phone, but too many drawbacks. The biggest negative is the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack. I usually use a bluetooth headphone, but they run out of battery juice, so I always have a pair of plug in ear buds with me. A dongle adapter is a non-starter for me, another little piece to move from bag to bag, and eventually to lose. Battery life is also paramount for me. I want to reliably get through a whole day without having to carry an external battery, and I don't see a 2600a battery doing that with a 5.5" screen. Motorola's abandonment of a commitment to timely upgrades under Lenovo (my Pure is still on 6.0, not 6.0.1) is also troubling.
    This will probably a successful phone because Verizon will push the hell out of it, and if they have a Verizon version available through Motomaker, with color customization and maintain Moto's price advantage over other flagship phones, it will be a hit with mid range Verizon customers. But for bleeding edge power buyers, this will get a big yawn like LG's recent releases.
    I think Motorola dropped the ball with this one, but only the market will tell.
    06-10-2016 05:33 PM
    That would mean I'm done buying those phones. Even if I don't root, I'm not paying money for something I *can't* modify if I wanted to.
    I feel ya. On the plus side almost every unlocked/unbranded phone works on T-Mo, so there's that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 05:41 PM
    Most tech companies? Maybe? But successful cell phone manufacturers? Do you think Samsung and Apple have a clear plan on how to make more money?

You can't equate a start up tech company to a billion dollar phone maker. And who says Motorola is ignoring customers? Sure they are ignoring you and maybe another dozen others on this thread, but how do you have any idea what the majority of cell phone customers want/need in phone? Do you have access to Motorola or even Samsung's market research?

The strongest data i have is that Motorola wasn't making money previously and they have changed things significantly. Apparently those changes are not to your liking. No big deal to me. But you are screaming and screaming on here about now that they are not making phones to your liking they must be on the path to failure. I got news for you motorola has been on the path to failure for at least the last 3 years. In whatever business you own, surely you must understand the import of profit and loss.
    Where is the evidence that the majority of customers want modules?
    06-10-2016 05:41 PM
    Where is the evidence that the majority of customers want modules?
    i sure don't have any. But then I'm not conflating my personal preferences as what the public wants.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-10-2016 08:20 PM
    I've been a loyal Moto customer for years, from an early Droid (yes, I'm on verizon), then to a Moto X 2013 (1st Gen) to a Moto X Pure now (with a short detour to a Samsung Galaxy 2). I was hoping one of the Z's would be my next phone, but too many drawbacks. The biggest negative is the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack. I usually use a bluetooth headphone, but they run out of battery juice, so I always have a pair of plug in ear buds with me. A dongle adapter is a non-starter for me, another little piece to move from bag to bag, and eventually to lose. Battery life is also paramount for me. I want to reliably get through a whole day without having to carry an external battery, and I don't see a 2600a battery doing that with a 5.5" screen. Motorola's abandonment of a commitment to timely upgrades under Lenovo (my Pure is still on 6.0, not 6.0.1) is also troubling.
    This will probably a successful phone because Verizon will push the hell out of it, and if they have a Verizon version available through Motomaker, with color customization and maintain Moto's price advantage over other flagship phones, it will be a hit with mid range Verizon customers. But for bleeding edge power buyers, this will get a big yawn like LG's recent releases.
    I think Motorola dropped the ball with this one, but only the market will tell.
    The 2013 X hit it out of the park in my opinion. I personally think the '14 X should have been a hardware upgrade with no change in size. When the Play/Style/whatever the other name was released, and the rumors of a dual device launch, I was hoping for a hybrid size and a standard phone size, similar to what Samsung does with the S and Note line, just releasing them together.

It just confuses me on why Moto insists on one device size. I'm not saying that one or the other should be the end all and be all. People like the hybrid size and people want a smaller size....I just don't get why both can't be done.

Who knows? I might have been drooling for a Moto if one option was the smaller one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2016 08:41 PM
486 ... 56789 ...