Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Cosmo Questi

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I would differ with the opinion that OS updates are not a sales driver. After using Droids exclusively over the years since the original Droid, I got fed up with the lack of OS update support from Moto and Verizon. I dropped the Droid Turbo mid-contract and haven't looked back. I am very happy with my Nexus 6P. It's too big, I miss some of the Moto software features, but I'd never go back to a company that kisses you goodbye as soon as they make the sale.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I would differ with the opinion that OS updates are not a sales driver. After using Droids exclusively over the years since the original Droid, I got fed up with the lack of OS update support from Moto and Verizon. I dropped the Droid Turbo mid-contract and haven't looked back. I am very happy with my Nexus 6P. It's too big, I miss some of the Moto software features, but I'd never go back to a company that kisses you goodbye as soon as they make the sale.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

But if we're talking personal experiences, I travel a lot for work. I literally look at every single phone I see in the wild to see what it is. I've seen barely a handful non-Verizon motorolas in the last few years. Its samsungs (and iphones) as far as the eye can see. And those samsungs are months (at best) or yearS out of date.

Direct-to-consumer-off-contract and lightning-fast updates won over the tech blogs and you and I. But that is a rounding error in the volume of motorola phones Verizon will sell in the coming year. And considering Lenovo bought a company that was 100% established and set up to do direct-to-consumer-sales-with-lightning-fast-updates and scrapped it all, I would guess the numbers just don't work.

Its frustrating that there are no responsible android manufacturers with scale. But my method of staying up to date works for me: Buy the latest and greatest phone every 3 months, and if there is a break in new releases hang onto a nexus in-between.

Last edited:

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Yeah Moto burned a lot bridges with the way they handled that.

There are some people who think you should hand over your money when buying a new phone and not complain like the Soup Nazi. But I have this crazy view that when your spending the same amount of money you could get a laptop for (this phone will undoubtedly cost near $700) you should have the right to be a bit more picky then if it works or not. I get better support when I buy a new Lenovo laptop then when I buy a new Lenovo phone, that's banana's!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
After a 6P and Moto X Pure I've really come to appreciate unlocked devices so won't be considering this on Verizon. The battery mod makes the phone look better IMO. The uber thinness of the plain phone is a turn off to me and that wimpy battery just adds to the turn off. I'd probably look at the "Force" if I was even considering this. My current Moto X is running just fine so be sticking with it. I did read somewhere that Lenovo/Motorola said when asked that the "X" line is not dead. The "Z" line is just in addition to their offerings. So if this be a true statement then maybe a new unlocked "X" could be coming down the road at some point. Something to consider especially if the "Z" line doesn't sell that well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I would love to compare sales of the Moto X Pure Edition or Nexus 6P vs. the 2015 DROIDs.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After a 6P and Moto X Pure I've really come to appreciate unlocked devices so won't be considering this on Verizon. The battery mod makes the phone look better IMO. The uber thinness of the plain phone is a turn off to me and that wimpy battery just adds to the turn off. I'd probably look at the "Force" if I was even considering this. My current Moto X is running just fine so be sticking with it. I did read somewhere that Lenovo/Motorola said when asked that the "X" line is not dead. The "Z" line is just in addition to their offerings. So if this be a true statement then maybe a new unlocked "X" could be coming down the road at some point. Especially if the "Z" line doesn't sell that well.

I truly don't see anyone using this phone without at least a Style Shell mod.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I would love to compare sales of the Moto X Pure Edition or Nexus 6P vs. the 2015 DROIDs.

For investing purposes??? Because I'd love to compare customer satisfaction which is way more important. Tesla doesn't come anywhere near the sales of the big Auto companies but they make a damn fine car and if you want to last in the tech business you better have a strong following.

Didn't Android Central find the 6P one of the best phones you could get that year??

I know Dieter Bohn at the Verge did:
Nexus 6P review: the best Android phone | The Verge

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I truly don't see anyone using this phone without at least a Style Shell mod.

Same here, I wouldn't either. My mod would need to be the battery mod. But to have to pay extra for it just rubs me the wrong way. I think their strategy must be to sell the mods so hey, battery to wimpy? , "we have a mod for that". Speaker to wimpy? etc.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The plural of anecdote is not data.

But if we're talking personal experiences, I travel a lot for work. I literally look at every single phone I see in the wild to see what it is. I've seen barely a handful non-Verizon motorolas in the last few years. Its samsungs (and iphones) as far as the eye can see. And those samsungs are months (at best) or yearS out of date.

Direct-to-consumer-off-contract and lightning-fast updates won over the tech blogs and you and I. But that is a rounding error in the volume of motorola phones Verizon will sell in the coming year. And considering Lenovo bought a company that was 100% established and set up to do direct-to-consumer-sales-with-lightning-fast-updates and scrapped it all, I would guess the numbers just don't work.

Its frustrating that there are no responsible android manufacturers with scale. But my method of staying up to date works for me: Buy the latest and greatest phone every 3 months, and if there is a break in new releases hang onto a nexus in-between.

Bingo. This is the point that so many people are missing. The dream failed. Lenovo/Motorola is a corporation, Corporations exist to make money and for no other reason no matter what your personal preferences is. The objective fact is that motorola lostmoney under google and that trend has continued under Lenovo. Why so many fan boys insist that motorola keep doing doing the things that have lost money is beyond me. Moto must make money. Or Moto will die.

Does the Z guarantee that moto will make money? Hardly. But it has a significantly better shot at it than the X (i.e. near 0).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For investing purposes??? Because I'd love to compare customer satisfaction which is way more important. Tesla doesn't come anywhere near the sales of the big Auto companies but they make a damn fine car and if you want to last in the tech business you better have a strong following.

If updates were a sales driver, wouldn't phones that offer near guaranteed updates have higher sales than those that don't?

I think updates are important. I think security updates are even more important. But what evidence is there to say that the general public ranks updates high when purchasing a smartphone.

I'm not sure how customer satisfaction is a better metric than raw sales numbers when it comes to my belief that OS updates are not a significant sales driver for the regular smartphone buying public.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Didn't Android Central find the 6P one of the best phones you could get that year??

I know the Verge did:
Nexus 6P review: the best Android phone | The Verge

Customer satisfaction is way more important than raw sales? Do you capitalism bro?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
If updates were a sales driver, wouldn't phones that offer near guaranteed updates have higher sales than those that don't?

I think updates are important. I think security updates are even more important. But what evidence is there to say that the general public ranks updates high when purchasing a smartphone.

I'm saying updates aren't a sales driver. To show that, we'd have to look at sales.

If people are miserable enough with their smartphones not getting updates, they would buy smartphones that got updates regularly. If they're not buying those smartphones, it would be easy to infer that it doesn't matter that much to them.

A++++ Ry. The number of people who are confusing their personal subjective preferences with objective reality blows my mind.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Same here, I wouldn't either. My mod would need to be the battery mod. But to have to pay extra for it just rubs me the wrong way. I think their strategy must be to sell the mods so hey, battery to wimpy? , "we have a mod for that". Speaker to wimpy? etc.

I doubt the speaker on the phone is wimpy though.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
My quote says "customer satisfaction"

Pop question sugar. In 2013 and 2014 which phones do you think had higher customer satisfaction? Samsung, Nexus, or Motorola?

Now the easy part: in 2013 and 2014 which phones had higher sales figures (by orders of magnitude)? Samsung, Nexus, or Motorola?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm six pages late here. I was a little busy yesterday :p

I like what Lenovo did. They made a phone that they think will appeal to plenty of folks. It looks good, has some customization options and carries the Motorola name.

They didn't make the Moto Z for me. I'll probably have some time with one, and I'll enjoy it for what it is. But I won't be purchasing one for myself because I'm not part of that target audience.

And that's OK.

If you're part of that target audience, don't worry about what nerds on AC forums think.

As for the discussion on updates — it's important to keep harping on all companies about getting security updates out to their phones. The people who don't know or don't care benefit when it happens, just like the people who do care. I'll continue to complain about any company who takes more than 30-ish days to get a security update out, in the hopes that the people involved read enough complaints to make them want to do it.

Moto/Lenovo, you suck at security updates. Look back at how you did things under Google's ownership, and go back to doing it that way. Your customers deserve it, and you need to appreciate them a little more than you do now.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
You're telling me literally, "If everyone is doing it" you will too? Lemming much bro? :)
How is your iPhone working out?

What i'm telling you, literally, is that corporations exist to make money, not to make people like you happy. Customer satisfaction is only relevant to a corporation inasmuch as it directly affects that corporations bottom line. Keeping you happy the last 3 years didn't exactly open up the coffers down at the moto money bank did it?

And I've owned and liked all 3 versions of the Moto X. My mind isn't made up about the Z yet. But I'm keeping an open mind until I can handle the phone and learn more.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Moto/Lenovo, you suck at security updates. Look back at how you did things under Google's ownership, and go back to doing it that way. Your customers deserve it, and you need to appreciate them a little more than you do now.
Come to think of it, on Daniel's hands-on, the Moto Z is on the May 1st patch.

When do you reckon the June patch will make it onto the device? The Nexus devices and some of the flagship Galaxy phones look to have received their security patches already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38