Question about security updates

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I really, really loved this phone. I didn't see a huge issue with the camera, and loved the display and how to check for notifications on the Moto.
But the lack of dedication to provide security updates from Moto turned me off and sent me to the Pixel.
The Pixel is great, but I honestly prefer the Moto experience. I had zero issues with my Play, but coming from Apple, I never really worried about security updates.
How big of a deal IS something like this?
Thanks for the insight.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
iOS is about as subject to viruses and Trojans as any other operating system - but iOS users aren't aware of the problems AS viruses, they just bring the phone to an Apple store, that fixes the problem (by installing an anti-virus program). (The ONLY computer not subject to viruses and other malware is one not connected to the internet. And pretty soon, when someone figures out how to send viruses through the powerlines, that will be "any computer not connected to anything.")

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I think with security updates every now and then you should be okay.

But I don't know you and your habits, do you install apps from unknown sources ( other than play store)?

Open attachments from unknown people via email, messenger etc.?

Going to dubiously websites?

I mean if you are careful you should he okay.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iOS is about as subject to viruses and Trojans as any other operating system - but iOS users aren't aware of the problems AS viruses, they just bring the phone to an Apple store, that fixes the problem (by installing an anti-virus program). (The ONLY computer not subject to viruses and other malware is one not connected to the internet. And pretty soon, when someone figures out how to send viruses through the powerlines, that will be "any computer not connected to anything.")

On the contary, not quite. iOS and the associated hardware has been designed to be secure (take for example, no software access for keys in the security enclave)
Just by nature, anything malicious would not be able to do as much, like how applications can't do as much as on say, desktop Windows or Android.

You seem to hold iOS users to a low standard honestly. The Apple Store does not install a non-existent A/V for a non-existent problem. (now of course, malicious applications are a potential threat, but iOS's design makes it less feasible.)
There is no anti-virus for iOS nor Windows Phone either. Those apps would be useless because of the way the OSes are laid out.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Antivirus apps exist for iOS, though they're useless and unnecessary and there's no way the Apple Store is installing any of those apps on user devices. I wouldn't bother with antivirus for Android either, as long as you're sticking to the play store and aren't installing sketchy apps or engaging in other risky behavior

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Notification volume low ? Was reading here in this forum that those on July patch are lucky because it's the best OS version.
August and October have bugs with low notification sound etc.

And that the" lucky ones " still on July patch should disable/force to stop the moto update services immediately in system apps.

( that's what i did , still on July patch, no bugs and whatsoever..Will stay there until Android N or when hear moto fixed the bugs from August and October updates from someone official.)

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Notification volume low ? Was reading here in this forum that those on July patch are lucky because it's the best OS version.
August and October have bugs with low notification sound etc.

And that the" lucky ones " still on July patch should disable/force to stop the moto update services immediately in system apps.

( that's what i did , still on July patch, no bugs and whatsoever..Will stay there until Android N or when hear moto fixed the bugs from August and October updates from someone official.)

But Motorola don't do monthly updates. It'll be the security update from when your device was manufactured ;-)

So you can safely re-enable the update app