After 72 hrs w/ Z Play..... Spoiler Love

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
So after much research and debate on my next phone to replace my S7, I decided on the Z Play. I was initially going to buy one from Best Buy, but was able tofind a used Condition 9 from B&H for $320 and I got a black nylon style mod as well.

I chose the Z Play over a 6P, G5, Honor 8 and keeping the S7 for the simple fact I enjoy "Motorola" and they're take on Android. It has a couple more features than straight Nexus and much more lightweight than LG or Samsung. I've owned a ton of phones but I always end up back with Motorola phones. I even still have my OG Droid, Bionic, Nexus 6, X 2014, and X Pure laying around in a drawer.

The first impressions of the phone were it felt solid in the hand but slippery. But overall it was excellent. After getting it setup and my information updated in it, I got to mess around with it. Coming from the S7 I enjoyed the lack of Samsung's and AT&T's bloat. It just does what I need and without a fuss.

Everything this phone is advertised for has actually held true and impressed me so far. The first half day I didn't put much into the battery life since it came only charged with 75% juice. The next day is where I paid attention so taking it off the charger around 0630 am to start my day, I checked my notifications, some ESPN and took in some other media before I actually decided to get ready for work. I arrived at work around 0830 with about 90% left. During the day I play music, browse Imgur, watch some downloaded shows and normal messaging, email and phone calls in a building with terrible cell service I was still able to pull a bit over 3 and a half hours with 53% left on a slow day. Yesterday, same routine but when I went to bed I didn't charge the battery and just kept it going, YouTube, music, browsing, casting to my TV, messaging, email and calls. I was able to pull down 9 hrs and 16 mins with about 12% of juice left, before I charged it at about 1430. That to me is just crazy, none of the phones I used before this would have made it past 3 without needing to be placed on a charger.

Now on to the Mods. I don't have any yet but plan on getting the JBL speaker and projector soon, but I do have the original Ash back cover and ordered the Black Herringbone Nylon cover as well. I just like the ability to swap out when I feel and with the bumper, I can still feel the textures and protect the device at the same time.

The only negative I have about the experience is the fact when it's on the Turbo Charger it causes the Nylon cover to warp off the top. But I easily bend it back into shape. But can get annoying.

Overall, I see this phone staying around until the next iteration of the Z line is released.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 1805.jpg
    1805.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 166

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the Z play for work and am impressed with the quality, my personal phone is the S7. My experiences are very similar to yours except I wouldn't switch over the the Moto but it makes me hesitate, that camera is just bad. I just can't believe how much faster it charges and how much longer it lasts. Although I only have about ten apps running compared to over a hundred on my S7.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
How is the speed and responsiveness compared to the S7? Opening apps and hangs as well as touch latency?

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
How is the speed and responsiveness compared to the S7? Opening apps and hangs as well as touch latency?

It's super quick for me, I don't run a lot of intense games. So I don't miss the 820 or the extra GB of RAM.But touch latency, is non existent since it is so close to stock Android. Also Nougat was pushed out to the Play today, so I'm refreshing my update window constantly.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Is the camera really much worse than the S7? Do you regret making the switch from a camera perspective? I'm considering making the the same switch from S7 (International) to the Z Play unlocked. The camera is the only thing holding me back.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Is the camera really much worse than the S7? Do you regret making the switch from a camera perspective? I'm considering making the the same switch from S7 (International) to the Z Play unlocked. The camera is the only thing holding me back.

The camera isn't on par with the S7, but cameras are the least decisive factor in my phone choices. The only pictures I've taken with it is the one in this post really. As long as it can take a picture and not look like the early 2000s I'm fine. I left the S7 for the software experience.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I think the camera is solid in good light as long as you aren't trying to do action shots. Low light you will see a big difference. With a little editing I can get great results in daytime shots with the play. The s7 has much faster AF. For the price range there is always a compromise, but it's not as big of a compromise as I was expecting with the camera.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the Z Play is totally fine. It will struggle at night, but so will almost any cell phone camera. Daylight pics are really good.

tex0322

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
What a great phone. Just got my Moto Z Play in the mail today to replace my Samsung S7. I needed something with great battery life and it looks like I have found it. I had a Moto X when they came out and loved that phone but couldn't get past the horrible camera on it. I use my phone mainly as a hotspot and sometimes as a camera and to stream audio. I think the camera on here is adequate. Not the best but night and day better than the X was. Just love this phone already.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
What a great phone. Just got my Moto Z Play in the mail today to replace my Samsung S7. I needed something with great battery life and it looks like I have found it. I had a Moto X when they came out and loved that phone but couldn't get past the horrible camera on it. I use my phone mainly as a hotspot and sometimes as a camera and to stream audio. I think the camera on here is adequate. Not the best but night and day better than the X was. Just love this phone already.

Nice to hear. Just ordered one yesterday and am looking forward to trying it out. Any mods you're considering to go along with it?

tex0322

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the Incipio offgrid Power Pack Wireless Battery Case. I tend to be "off grid" a lot and have to go a few days in between charges. I don't know that I will need it but I also wanted the wireless charging capability. I have read this particular mod works great so I'm giving it a try.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I got this phone 6 days ago and it got Nougat pushed a day or two after I got it. It replaces an original MotoX. When I got that I was impressed because it would last 48 hours with the wifi on the whole time. And maybe an hour and a half screen on time. This phone absolutely blows it away. Im at 72 hours off the charger and have 43% left. 4h 41 minutes screen on time. Insane.
Plus the phone is smooth as hell. I enabled developer options and turned off all animations I could. All they do is slow the phone down. There really is no need for them IMO.
MOTO style stock android too. I have Verizon and disabled the few BS apps pre loaded. The camera is OK for my needs it's better than my last phone and as good as my Samsung work phone. It's just a little large in size and i don't have small hands. I'll get used to it. Don't know why but the screen shots I took of the battery stats are in PNG format and Android Central app won't allow me to upload them. I guess only jpegs are allowed. Junk. I had to upload them from my laptop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170315-220643.jpg
    Screenshot_20170315-220643.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20170315-220655.jpg
    Screenshot_20170315-220655.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20170315-220719.jpg
    Screenshot_20170315-220719.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20170315-220745.jpg
    Screenshot_20170315-220745.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If the next Moto Z Play has the same camera as the Moto G5 Plus, which is probably using the same camera as the Galaxy S7, the next Play just might be my next daily driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non